PDA

View Full Version : sidecar rwc requirement question

ralph
07-05-2010, 06:40 PM
does a sidecar need a body fitted to get a rwc
is a bare chassis with a guard on the wheel and lights enough or does it need a floor

Redmohawk
08-05-2010, 10:09 AM
In nsw there is a bloke doing funerals with one that just has a wooden floor nothing else.

scotty mac
08-05-2010, 10:37 AM
i'm interested in this and trike compliance.
a mate lost his leg(left) a few years ago on his busa n have been thinkin bout trikes n sidecars for him for ages.

Hagarr
08-05-2010, 12:10 PM
When I enquired about what I needed to do when attaching my sidecar to my Z1300 they didn't want to know anything, as long as the donor bike was licensed and roadworthy, which they didn't even wish to look at.

Thats here in WA don't know what the requirements are where you are!!

Redmohawk
08-05-2010, 04:12 PM
If its for someone with one leg i would assume a trike would be a better setup as theres less movement side to side the the trike sidecars still lift the inside tire on occasion and take more skill to ride than a trike . Two wheels at the front is the most stable arangment for cornering . In Vic a bike can be converted to trike with just an engineres report (cost is about $400 if you find the right bloke) one i used only charged $350 for a early celica convertable i did . Just ring em fist explain what you want to do, suck up and ask advice, take lots of photos as you build it . So when they inspect it they just check it off and there you go, take ticket to vic roads and they change its reg papers. Nsw prob very similar i'd guess.

03gixxerpilot
09-05-2010, 01:16 PM
scotty in QLD you don't need a rwc to fit a sidecar, you only have to tell qld transport that you have fitted one.

The fun part is when the cops pull you up and want to know where the rego sticker is for the Trailer (serious this has happened)

give me a ring if you need any more info.

Cheers Clive

ralph
10-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Just went for a ride down to the servo
scared the pants off me
it tries to go in three different directions at once
Im not sure if I am ever gonna be the same

Redmohawk
12-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Hmmm tricky to get right those fuckers , thats why i think trikes are a better bet for someone missing a leg.

ralph
15-05-2010, 11:59 AM
to answer your question ralph no you dont need a body for a rwc or a floor Its also usually a good idea to check your tyre pressures if you have handeling issues[:I][:0]:([:o)]

Shadowzone
15-05-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm planning on doing a minimalist outfit job on the Gixxer (when I finally get it back from Clive) with checkerplate floor, front foot rail, seat and grab rail for the inside of the seat.

KATO ZX7
16-05-2010, 06:31 AM
Heres another question while we'r on the subject.
I have a donor 1983 Honda CB900 which im seriously thinking about putting a side car on.
What are the rules reguarding age of the passenger? Im mainly doing this because i have a kid (under 8) and a nanny who is too old to swing her leg over the back of the ZX7

Redmohawk
16-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Kato , if it has a seatbelt same deal as a car if they can sit on a normal car seat legal they can be in a sidecar , as long as they have the correct helmet and are secure on the seat (dont have to use there strength to hold on , can just sit there) if a cop wants to be a prick technically they also have to be able to put there feet against something , like the floor or a foot rest.

ralph
16-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Seatbelt?

Redmohawk
16-05-2010, 06:31 PM
yep seen a few down here in vic for young kids in sidecars.

Hagarr
18-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Argued heaps with cops about helmets we used to put on the kids heads when I had my chair.

If you talk to a doctor, and they are the only one's to talk to in regards to whats safe, with a child not developed, the weight of the helmet will do more damage than any impact to the helmet would ever do.

I used to put a good quality pushbike helmet on my girls until they were developed enough for their neck to support itself or strong enough to withstand any major impact or whiplash.

Cops used to try and use the moral argument all the time until I pulled out the letters from my Doctor and told them to Shut the Fuck Up unless they can prove otherwise!

Was always a tough one.

Oh my girls were 18months when they first started and up to about 8 years old before I sold my chair.

Sad Day!