PDA

View Full Version : what to ride in country uganda

stackas
06-05-2010, 11:10 PM
I do some charity work building and running an orphanage in a country town in Uganda. We need to buy a new moto but the selection is very average. we spend a lot of time on a dirt road and when it rains it pours. you can buy a honda XL250 or yamaha tt250 for about $7k. You can get the more common bike for the locals which is a tvs or tsv which I think is made in india or china and has all the dramas you would expect with bikes from there. they cost about $1200. or you can get second hand a small version of a ct110. might only be 70cc. has small wheels. cost about $800.
Importing anything into the country is hard as it is land locked and the container would go through too many sticky fingers on the way..... if it made it at all.
naturally fighting would be an option but most likely to involve removing parts rather than putting on after market parts.
dose anyone have any experience with these sorts of bikes or any ideas what would be the best investment.

latheboy
07-05-2010, 07:25 AM
I don't know much about these bikes, but i would want something thats easy to get parts for and it would have to be bomb proof.
You will want something that will run on almost any fuel, i dont think the fuel would be of the highest quality in those areas.

You should be able to fly them in, there are plenty of people who fly in with their bikes to do a rode trip.

Hagarr
07-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Ural sidecar with 50 cal machine gun mount (or equivalent Russian weapon) would be my vehicle of choice.

sharky
07-05-2010, 09:53 AM
What about the Enfields made in india ? They seem to go on forever...especially after watching a program where you hire them and go into the mountains on guided tours....through rivers, up mountain side goat tracks....seem easy to fix by the road side too...

Zooks
10-05-2010, 09:19 AM
The CT would be my choice. They are cheap, light, reliable and easy to work on and get parts for. With chunky tyres fitted they'll go almost anywhere. Admittedly they're no rocket ship but they are good reliable transport. Farmers still use them for this reason.

Check out this website (one of many) - http://www.postiebikes.com/faq.htm

Thousands of Aussie posties can't be wrong. :)

Jockney Rebel
10-05-2010, 12:52 PM
aussies posties dont have to dodge bullets tho......

Surt
10-05-2010, 04:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by Hagarr

Ural sidecar with 50 cal machine gun mount (or equivalent Russian weapon) would be my vehicle of choice.

only if u can lift it mate! :D