PDA

View Full Version : undertray material

pt
30-01-2007, 05:45 PM
ok i want to make an undertray for me bike, just one that covers the plastic that holds the battery etc. is it best to use thin stainless steel? and how should i cut it, angle grinder? how thick?(i have no idea but i'm thinking 2 mm?) how easy is it to get whatever you reccommend and where from?

cheers

Gix11
30-01-2007, 06:45 PM
That's what I did. Up to you what you like the look of. I used 2mm S/S, drew out a template, and cut it with the edge of a ultra thin disk on an angle grinder, then bent the final shaping.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/797596349225370.jpg

pt
30-01-2007, 07:31 PM
cool any sheet metal place should have 2mm stainless yeah?

second thought, how well does paint stick to s/s and what are the options if i want it to be paintable?

ozkat
30-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Bloody hell those wheels look good, who did them? :D

Gix11
30-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Some dodgy geezer. Take a close look and you'll see the original white paint in the centre of the brake disc. Mind you, at least the blacks not peeling off like my other ones.

ozkat
30-01-2007, 10:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

Some dodgy geezer. Take a close look and you'll see the original white paint in the centre of the brake disc. Mind you, at least the blacks not peeling off like my other ones.
Your welcome ;)

30-01-2007, 10:47 PM
I'll bet there's some Shannon's assessor thinking exactly the same thing as you right now Gix :D

ozkat
30-01-2007, 11:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by chalk10

I'll bet there's some Shannon's assessor thinking exactly the same thing as you right now Gix :D
Proberly better you comment on something you actually have some knowledge on chalky, instead of just flapping your jaw with comments that discredit people. And have absolutly nothing to do with the original topic.

30-01-2007, 11:13 PM
Feeling a bit touchy there Oz?

fimpBIKES
31-01-2007, 07:09 AM
oooh, who's touchin' Oz???
[:x]

u could use thin ally too
or u could get a sheet of ABS plastic from a plastic place and then just trim it with a knife

a cut-off of ally would probably be the cheapest options though (in 1.6 thick or something)
does the battery actually sit on this or is it mor of just a cover thingy?

Booster
31-01-2007, 07:36 AM
You can get thin stainless from washing machine repairers , many old dryers have a .7mm stainless liner, 2mm would be fairly weighty .

TurboKat
31-01-2007, 08:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by chalk10

L.O.L. :D x10

pt
31-01-2007, 11:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

oooh, who's touchin' Oz???
[:x]

u could use thin ally too
or u could get a sheet of ABS plastic from a plastic place and then just trim it with a knife

a cut-off of ally would probably be the cheapest options though (in 1.6 thick or something)
does the battery actually sit on this or is it mor of just a cover thingy?

the tray that hold the battery and the undertail section is just one giant bit of moulded plastic. i've gotta trim a few bits off so the undertray i make will sit flush.

top tip about the washing machine repairers. might have a go there first!:)