PDA

View Full Version : Ethonol fuel

damo1
30-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Any body had experiance with ethanol.

i put a ten bucks worth of premium ethanol in about a week ago all seamed fine for about two days then the blade started miss firing and finally dropped to two cylinders it would idle fine but under load would break down back onto two cylinders again i limped it to a servo and topped it up with premium vortex thinking it was running out of fuel didnt fix the problem so i started pushing it home,i was only about ten mins from home i had it idling for a bit and then thought ill try give it a few revs.

One thing lead to another and before i knew it i was walking along holding the blade on the limiter(those of you that have heard it would know this was just a tad noisy)

but it ran clean after this and no troubles since so im guessing it was the shit ethonol fuel that caused the problem.

papa smurf
30-01-2007, 04:36 PM
You guessed right, it is shit & will do damage with prolonged use.

30-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Or just bad fuel? When did ya last clean out you're tank/filters?

BTW did ya get a few funny looks while pushing the bike revving the ring out of it? Or did people just whince at the volume and turn away? :D

Phill
30-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Ethanol fuel WILL clean out your fuel system.
Its a bitch if you dont have a filter inline.It does corrode your system after a long time sitting around but not if you use it all the time. 8 to 10 months sitting around without use will do it not two weeks.
I suspect it was shit in the fuel system not shit fuel, but not ruling out shit fuel either.
I run a fleet of 8 Toyota vans (plus 10 trucks) and ran 3 on ethanol fuels only. only had probs initially whilst the system cleaned itself out then no probs after. The Jerry can I had for emergencies is now rotten after 8 months!!
This info was from our fuel supplier and we buy 1,500lts petrol and 10,000ltr diesel through them each week. If they fucked me around I told them I would find a supplier of CLEAN RELIABLE fuel. They were really good about it and supplied the first two sets of fuel filters free.
Phill

Gix11
30-01-2007, 05:38 PM
That stuff is fucked for bikes! Don't use it mate. I had the exact same thing on the Fools Run last year even though I knew it would happen. It was stalling on take off and spluttering. I only used it because it was the only petrol station for miles around out in the middle of woop woop.

Check this post from last year: http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1346

ozkat
30-01-2007, 05:46 PM
I wouldnt put that ethanol shit in my wifes lawnmower!

30-01-2007, 06:02 PM
LOL...^
that shit on the fools run was made by CSR,refined sugar petroleum.I couldnt get more than $2.20 with the throttle wide open. Not recommended ,in the CSR guide book,for use in any motorcycle engine other than a Yankee Doodleson.

catchmeifyoucan
30-01-2007, 06:10 PM
ethanol as far as im aware is good for your fuel injected bikes, my cbr runs awesome on it.. thats what everyday fuel in japan is, 100 octane 5% ethanol.. and most european cars void there warranty if you dont use ethanol fuel... dont quote me on anyhthing ive said, but thats ive been led to believe..

Booster
30-01-2007, 06:38 PM
I have heard the MTBE used in some premium unleaded doesn't like ethanol and can create jelly balls in the fuel system if mixed ?? haven't seen this myself in this application but i have seen racefuels in new steel fuel line react with the lining (zinc or cadmium ) and make jelly.

suxukifreak
30-01-2007, 06:59 PM
There is this http://www.abc.net.au/brisbane/stories/s1466787.htm

And this i found...
For vehicles with current (2006) design flexible fuel engines, fuel economy (measured as miles per gallon (MPG), or liters per 100 km) is directly proportional to energy content.[25] Ethanol contains approx. 34% less energy per gallon than gasoline, and therefore will result in a 34% reduction in miles per gallon[26][27]. For E10 (10% ethanol and 90% gasoline), the effect is small (~3%) when compared to conventional gasoline, and even smaller (1-2%) when compared to oxygenated and reformulated blends.[28] However, for E85 (85% ethanol), the effect becomes significant. E85 will produce approximately 27% lower mileage than gasoline, and will require more frequent refueling. Actual performance may vary depending on the vehicle.

damo1
30-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Cheers boys so im not the only one ill steer clear of it in the future.

And yeah chalky there was a few, and some very anoid ones to fuck them all i got a laugh
out of it.

TurboKat
31-01-2007, 07:18 AM
Ethanol is Hygroscopic which means it absorbs water.
I let my TL sit for 3 or 4 months over winter with half a tank of Ethanol fuel in it, took it to a trackday & it wouldn't rev over 7k, pulled the tank off, pump & filter out to find everything was rusted so bad that the fuel filter was blocked with rust.
Stripped & cleaned it out, new filter & it ran fine but every time I put fuel in after that, the rusty colour in the tank was enough to remind me never to use that shit ever again.

alfiestorm
31-01-2007, 08:31 AM
A fuel that absorbs water. I'm with ya there tubycat keep the fuck away from that ethanol shit

31-01-2007, 08:43 AM
I will add this[B)]for those of you that are just guessing[:X]go read Phil Irving`s "tuning for speed";) I raced on it for years[:o)]got the trophies to prove it[^]

31-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Yeah, good choice Mad, I think only those of us over 40 actually remember Phil Irving, and "Tuning For Speed".

Haven't read it in about 20 years though.

dazz
31-01-2007, 12:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by mad mundy

I will add this[B)]for those of you that are just guessing[:X]go read Phil Irving`s "tuning for speed";) I raced on it for years[:o)]got the trophies to prove it[^]

they still doin encouragement awards back then too mundy:D

megareg
31-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Ah, Phil Irving.... genius, how about that vincent that was pictured on this site not that long ago... beautiful...

I only use that Mobil synergy 8000 stuff... don't get any pinging with it.

damo1
31-01-2007, 04:29 PM
While on the subject of shit fuel i find that the car and bike run a bit ordinary on shell
anything that includes there premium shit also anyone else had this problem.

31-01-2007, 04:37 PM
I get shit economy on that stuff.