PDA

View Full Version : Running out of power...

sharky
29-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Went for a test ride today...Got to 180Kph and then felt a sudden lack of power. My thoughts are float levels are wrong/sticking.
I moved the needles both up and down 1 groove when I was playing around with the lower rev range and they're right.. I've got K&N pods, K&N jet kit stage 3, Pingel high flow tap (stock one was stuffed).
I seem to remember this happening before I did all the filters, jet kit etc when it was still stock FJ...Serves me right for not checking the floats then I guess [:I].
Your thoughts gentlemen ...

Deano
29-01-2007, 08:45 PM
do you have high flow needles and seats? seems like the problem only comes at extended high load. just a thourght

sharky
29-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Needles came with the kit, seats are stock.

TurboKat
29-01-2007, 09:26 PM
You got 180 km/h out of a Yamahahaha ?????? [:0]
Have you put a Kwaka motor in it? ;)
Sounds like it's just getting lean mate, if jacking the float levels up doesn't work, try some bigger mains.

Hillsy
30-01-2007, 10:17 AM
G'day Sharky,

I cut and pasted this from the Factory Pro website....

To properly tune, you MUST:

1. Have selected the BEST main jet for full throttle power (not just a "good" main jet - we mean "the BEST main jet" for power at high rpm).
That eliminates the common severe tweaking of the midrange and lower tuning ranges to compensate for a "wrong" main jet.

2. Then - select the BEST needle height / clip position for power at FULL THROTTLE / MIDRANGE after selecting the BEST main jet -
That almost eliminates weird problems at cruise caused by tweaked needle heights that were required because the main jet wasn't correct.......

3. Then, adjust the BEST Float Height for BEST FULL THROTTLE / LOW rpm (many Honda's excluded because floats are not adjustable) -
You should be able to apply FULL THROTTLE at LOW RPM in TOP gear without ANY misfire of bogging or stumble.......

If you follow that order, you will have:
1. Best topend.
2. Best midrange.
3. Best low rpm power.

Then - all you have left is dialing in the pilot circuit - i.e. mixture screw and pilot jet size - That's IT - Don't tweak needle heights and throw away full throttle midrange to try to fix a cruise issue!!! (Unless you want to!)

sharky
30-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Cheers mate, I'll check out the mains later.....got some old stock jets and jet drills so I can slowly increase the size 'til its right..without stuffing the ones fitted.

sharky
30-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Well...the Dynojet mains was around 122.5 when checked with jet drills against known sizes (at local shop). Stock is 112.5 so it was hardly a huge leap.
I drilled out the stock ones to approx 130 (again measured against shops jets).....Yeeeeeeeee:Dhaaaaaaaaaaaa.....blasted up to 195 before I started to run out of road..and stopping room....straight through the 180 dead spot from yesterday....Now to play wiv the needles [:0] ...midrange chokes up a bit..
Thanks for the advice Hillsy...makes sense really....Dynojet leaflet starts with pilots, then mid then mains ???

And TK .......[xx(] [:X] [xx(]