PDA

View Full Version : Help on anodising

Yamie
26-04-2010, 01:11 PM
It's taking 2 years to work out what I want to do but I need help.
How much heat can anodising take as in a motor

Tony OW31
26-04-2010, 01:34 PM
What do you mean?
It will take anything that the aluminium part that is anodised will take. Basically the surface of the aluminium is chemically oxidised to produce an aluminium oxide layer. that layer is very hard (lots of sanding grit is aluminium oxide) and corrosion resitant. If it does not kill the part, it wont harm the anodising.

Yamie
26-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks Tony I wasn't sure if heat would discolour it.

eddahenry
04-05-2010, 12:37 PM
heat will make some anno colours change color.
was all the rage in Paintball a year ago , get parts put in oven , changes colour .pull out
blacks would go brown and so on,
i dont think side covers would get hot enough but with things like heads i think they would
but i think it looks cool

Redmohawk
04-05-2010, 05:35 PM
It depends on the die that is used for the anodising , you can do it at home! All anodising is just forced corosion of aluminium with acid then you treat it with what ever die you want then its heated to seal the die in . Look up home anodising on the web it will explain it all, they use fod coulouring for home stuff alot this will discolour with time UV rays and heat but you can get industrial dies that will handle high heats.

Anodising shop will have a range of dies.

bladehunter
04-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Anodising cast ally aint so great due to the silicon content

zx12argh
05-05-2010, 12:46 PM
What he said, it'll come out looking like shit if you annodise cast ally. Very patchy very rough. It is possible tho.

Yamie
10-05-2010, 06:01 AM
Sorry guys I would of had some parts done by now But 3 weeks later I still have not got some parts back from the polisher thats 1 Clean out the garage at the new place thats 2 Woke up the next morning to move everything in and we got flooded 1 foot of mud becasue 1 drain got block :( I hate cleaning