PDA

View Full Version : BUILD ADVICE

throttlejockey
07-06-2006, 11:10 AM
gidday all,

just sold my gixxer & now im lookin for a new hobby/project.
s t r e e t f i g h t e r ! ! !

i read the sticky in regards to qld mods.
in a nutshell
if i build a bike do i need an engineers certificate to make it road registered? for example, if i fit a ducati seat to a jap bike?

what about engine mods? does the same apply here??

how much would you say an average build is? i know, i know, how long is a piece of string. but lets say budget to big money, & then "money no object".

being my first build, what is a model to tackle that has proven to be easy(ish) & have lots of parts available (obvioulsy gixxer 7/11's, fireblades?, etc)

Gix11
07-06-2006, 12:19 PM
By the way - Welcome aboard mate.

Engineers Certs depending on what State you're in and to what level they test. One of the NSW guys will help you out there.

An average build cost? No such thing, but if you want a good example, but (or find) Rapid Bikes magazine and check out Stu's bike on the cover and centre story. That was done on the budget of buying a new jap bike, then if you want, go to the YOUR RIDE section of this forum and check out some other bikes and ask what the budget has been in a nutshell. If you check mine you'll see a $6k bike bought 8 years ago and about $2k spent on it with a lot of help from mates in the trade (or keen builders with tools). You come to the right place to find the same people mate. Also check out Ben's (Exben - JUDGE) bike. That's a "money no object build".

Any model has proven to work. Check the Gallery of this site to see some different examples. The old scholl ones are most popular as they has less gadgets on display when stripped and also are cheaper to buy, hence the Blade and GSXR base. GSXR's are so popular because you have the big power with an oil cooled engine (87 - 93 if I remember) which means no ugly water lines, radiators and filler bottles to contend with.

fimpBIKES
07-06-2006, 01:05 PM
yeah, i think as ar as built cost goes
it depends how long you want to take

if u know u need something then just hang about on ebay and forums for long enough one will pop up at the right price
but that method (while generally cheaper) is going to take longer than just going out and getting an aftermarket part or something from a wrecker

i recommend suzukis, mainly cos they tend to share a lot of parts across the product range
but im a bit biased :D

throttlejockey
07-06-2006, 03:40 PM
thanks for that chaps.

yep, bens judge is the holy grail of custom fighters.
bastard!

i love gixxers cause of ther motor, but love fireblades casue of their handling....

here is another question which may be stoopid?
can i fit a rgv banana swingarm onto a tlr. that way i can stick a hot pipe up under the tail.

you will see i have heaps of idea's and absolutely no idea!!

love this site guys & are glad to be a part of it.;)
throttle

fimpBIKES
07-06-2006, 05:01 PM
the RGV banana on a gixxer would be easier cos they shock mounts are more conventional

but nothing is impossible

im sure if u got a blade or a gixxer you could tweak it into something u could love

throttlejockey
07-06-2006, 07:09 PM
i have a gsxr that i have just sold & are waiting for the buyer to pick up - yoshi race pipe, power commander, -1 tooth front sprocket, rennsport tyres, race tech fork springs & valves.
it is a fuckin bitchin bike that pulls harder than a 15 year old!!

after seeing what ben did to the gixxer with the bitsa paint job, man i dont knwo about selling it?

anyone want to cough up the cost of the job from extreme creations.
c'mon, dont be shy.

throttlejockey
07-06-2006, 10:29 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/764173393746372.JPG
here is my bike.
anyone wanna buy it.

dont make me turn it into a streetfighter!!!;)

seriously, a regretful & genuine sale.
why am i selling?? to be honest, since the birth of our identical twin boys i ride it like a pussy. i really think i have lsot my nerve....

yeah, bring on the gay jokes you bastards.

07-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Ha ha, twins eh?, just give it time mate, by the time you have sex again you'll be so toey you'll have gotten you're nerve back :D

Gix11
08-06-2006, 01:08 AM
........and with the "I sock at phptopshop" statement, I know you really don't want to fighter that Gixer. Which means you should. Remember the Bitza painted Gix? You know you want it!

throttlejockey
08-06-2006, 04:55 PM
mate, you dont know how much im fighting the urge to fighter it.
that bitsa gix is hot.

black & white = fuckin tuff!!
plus the fact i have nearly 20 years making signs & graphics, & my cuz has a spray shop....

someone please buy it!!

& im so bad at photoshop, i actually wrote "suck"
doh

throttlejockey
08-06-2006, 05:09 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/97801810766087.jpg

damn, looks like gsxar beat me to it.

noooiice mate.