PDA

View Full Version : CBR 900 engine conversion???

Jay_G
17-04-2010, 05:46 PM
The donk in my 1995 900 is getting very tired, so i thought if i am going to buy a write off for the engine why not upgrade whilst i am at it.

Will a 929-954 engine slot into the older Fireblade frame without major surgery or frame welding? Ideally i would like to be able to fab up some alloy plates and chuck it in or buy a kit. the rewiring doesn't bother me too much.

Also what are a lowish K stat write off's going for at the auctions these days? i was hoping to get something for 1-1.7k.

Jay_G
17-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Looks like you can do a CBR 9/11 with a blackbird motor. apparently the only downside is the exhaust hangs a bit low and there might be a little more weight over the front.

http://www.sporthoj.com/garage/?Andreas900

Billy Bob
18-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Ive been told that a 929 will drop straight in,
I was going for a 954 to drop in on my old 94 blade then was thinkin turbo.
I reckon that would be the way, contact Ben (Extreme Creations)

Jay_G
18-04-2010, 06:54 PM
I am thinking the CBR 1100 donk should be a bit cheaper, probably not as sought after. Plus 164HP with 1100cc torque should be fun in an old frame with old brakes. I am not going to waste Bens time as i will try and do everything myself or get the little bits welded local (Ipswich/Brisbane)

nick76
18-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Has any ASF member done this conversion yet??

That link would be great if i could read Norwegian,or whatever that is???

robmac
18-04-2010, 07:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by Billy Bob

954 won't fit because of the way the swingarm and frame is part of the rear casting on the engine. Blackbird donk would be cool though. Injected and apparently quite easy to turbo [:p] That'll be my next project when/if the blade engine goes pop :)

damo1
19-04-2010, 03:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by robmac

quote:Originally posted by Billy Bob

954 won't fit because of the way the swingarm and frame is part of the rear casting on the engine. Blackbird donk would be cool though. Injected and apparently quite easy to turbo [:p] That'll be my next project when/if the blade engine goes pop :)

I read somewhere that the carby version of the 1100xx motor is a bolt in afair and you can get good hp out of it standard.
Go to the RRzone and ask there mate you'll deffinatly get the answers your after and probably a link to a previous build to this question.