PDA

View Full Version : Regulator rectifyer fried?

ST31TH
15-04-2010, 04:51 PM
How do i know if my regulator rectifyer is fingered? the bike is a 1989 zxr250. Symptoms include bike dies as soon as the terminal is taken off the battery, dies when it warms up, when warm will not rev

80s freak
15-04-2010, 05:20 PM
It's either a reg/rec or stator. If you have a multi meter you need to check the ac voltage where the three stator wires plug into the loom. Unplug the connector and check the voltage between each of the wires (not to ground. At 5,000rpm you should have around 50v AC give or take. Then check the resistance of each wire to ground (engine off), there should be no curcuit. Any open curcuit or resistance reading will confirm the stator is knackered.
If your readings are good at the stator, with the bike running check the DC voltage at the regulator red wire @ 5,000rpm you should have between 13.0-14.5v DC.
Sometimes the earth and power out wires in the loom get weak, you can bypass the loom and run a good lhick gauge wire direct to the battery. If you do this then re-check your charge rate at the battery. Also make sure the battery is good have it load tested after being fully charged, a dead cell can pull a heap of current out of your system. Hope this helps mate.

ST31TH
15-04-2010, 05:29 PM
thanx mate just gotta get a multi meter

DiscoDan
15-04-2010, 05:49 PM
this may help

http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/diagnosis/fault-finding-guide.php

boris
15-04-2010, 09:44 PM
don't take the battery terminal off when it's running man not on bikes, cars, trucks, boats anything it can stuff the rectifier up just doing that I wish I had a dollar for every backyarder that says all I did was take the battery terminal off when it was running (actually I do cos I charged them) if you don't believe me just look at VN onwards commodores the alternators are always rooted because the main + terminal on the back of the alternator comes loose and open circuits the system hell I've even seen ECU's taken out by disconnecting a battery terminal
sorry end of lecture

dingo
15-04-2010, 10:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by ST31TH

thanx mate just gotta get a multi meter

just ask man :D

grindella
17-04-2010, 08:48 AM
taking the battery lead of when the bike is running is asking for trouble with electronic components, you should use a multimeter. Tthe output to the battery when the bike is running is 13.5 to 14.2 volts any lower and you have problems. Most modern bikes have the rectifier/regulator as one unit.