Thread: '04 ZX6 tail on a '00 ZX6?

Weekend Warrior

'04 ZX6 tail on a '00 ZX6?

From the looks of it, its as simple as unbolting the old, and bolting on the new. Is it really going to be this simple?

Blog Entries
    Usually nothings ever that simple mate, but worth a shot. are you looking to buy one for that purpose.. go find someone with 04 ZX6 and ask if you can borrow there tail for half hour..

Weekend Warrior
    Yeah I think i'll be buying one, just to neaten up the rear a bit - prefer the 04 as compared to the 00. I'm not great with welding etc, so figured since both bikes have bolt-on subframes, and the bolts seem to be in the same position, even someone with my limited amount of knowledge could probably pull it off!

Weekend Warrior
    It's not a straight swap. But if memory serves it's not hard. I think you just cut off the ends (where it bolts on to the frame) of the existing subby, and replace the 04 ones with them, and then it'll bolt on. If you check http://www.kawiforums.com/ there's a how-to on there.

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    quote:Originally posted by Disturbed_Dave

Yeah I think i'll be buying one, just to neaten up the rear a bit - prefer the 04 as compared to the 00. I'm not great with welding etc, so figured since both bikes have bolt-on subframes, and the bolts seem to be in the same position, even someone with my limited amount of knowledge could probably pull it off!
    I did the same with mine mate - got a VTR subbie and matched it to the viffer - it was just a matter of extending the ends by 60mm and opening the subframe out 40mm, then fit straight on.
    If its a similar fit you shouldnt have a prob - stick to the same makes and you should get away without much modification.

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks 2nd and VFighter...
    Did a bit of looking into it, there are a couple ways to go about it. Would be much easier just to replace the ends of the subbie, but not sure if its going to mount up how it needs to.

Seems there's a slight amount of fabrication involved, moving each mount 1" or so outwards.

Time to find a decent welder I think!