Thread: Dririder use by date

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace

Dririder use by date

Well, this is becoming a regular occurence, out riding in the wet and my dririder gear protects me for all of 10 minutes.

When I first bought the jacket and pants I could ride all day through anything and not get a drop on me, I'm guessing this stuff loses its effectiveness over time.

What are your experiences with wet weather gear?
    What would you recommend I replace my current jacket/pants with for all weather riding?

Bloke with a smaller stick Weaselman's Avatar
    when i go on a long trip i have a Dryazabone rolled up in my pack because no matter how good the stuff is it will gt saturated eventually and nothing gets through an oilskin

Weekend Warrior
    quote:Originally posted by Weaselman

when i go on a long trip i have a Dryazabone rolled up in my pack because no matter how good the stuff is it will gt saturated eventually and nothing gets through an oilskin
    Just around it, but on a whole very effectve. I have a 3/4.

Weekend Warrior
    8+ years & 150K+ km on, my Tiger Angel Elements gortex jacket is still totally waterproof.

My mates who said $700 at the time it was too expensive have replaced their $300-$400 dririders atleast twice since then...

ASF Premium Full Member
    I rewaterproof my wets every 6 months or so (but it depends on how often I use them). You can buy sprays desighned to renew gortex type fabrics from disposals/camping/outdoor stores.

From what I understand, gortex etc is a thread thats been treated with a waterproofing chemical, and then tightly woven into a fabric; so tight that the gaps in the fabric are too small for water droplets, but big enough for steam vapour to escape (so it's breathable). I have no idea why I know that.

Short story, buy a spray, and re treat the fabric.

On the other hand, like God, I got about 10 years out of a stupidly expensive Frank Thomas Jacket.
    more titanium than my bike

I'm still using my 13 year old Dri rider Alpine gold series jacket no problems, just a top up scotch guard every once in a while.

That seems to be the plan then, I'll duck out to the local camping shop for some waterproofing spray when I get the chance.

Thanks to my imaginary friend and others for their responses.

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Gore-Tex is a polytetraflouroetheylene membrane which has been expanded to create a series of vrey fine holes which allow water vapour through but not liquid water. It's the laminated onto a fabric and is therefore very durable. A lot of the cheaper fabics use a polyeurathane coating that is calendared onto the fabric (kinda like spreading butter) but they are very suseptable to cld flex. Normally this is OK for hiking jackets if you don't wash them but for biking cold flex is unavoidable.

The spray and wash in water repellants will only help water bead on the surface which is good for short periods but won't cut it for serious periods

I've also had a Tiger Angel Element for 10 years or so and apart from a abrasion hole where I crashed it it's great

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    i just use a oversuit for my leathers, never had to do anything to maintain it