Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim's CB900 "start of my build"

Streetfightering is all about building what gives YOU a rush.

Even Ice has a good time, and he would certainly have problems out dragging a GTi.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Awesome Starter Frank!

When i look at that I see

Showa USD Shocks
    Buell Twin light and screen
    GSX1400 rear shockies
    Custom Belly Pan
    Zephyr Tail unit Or ZRX1200 (like Rexie's) and seat lifted another 10 deg or more (possily mono shock conversion with 916 single sider [}])
    Billet Bits everywhere
    Upgraded Rear sets to piss off the pillion extention sets[xx(]

And a Family Tarten paintjob [^] ( Okay so that my plan, buts its cool )

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    quote:Originally posted by chalk10

Streetfightering is all about building what gives YOU a rush.

Even Ice has a good time, and he would certainly have problems out dragging a GTi.
    dead right i mean if the oppertunity comes up i really wanna do a 2 stroke RG500 or a RD v4,or make an old H2 handle[maybe not!] then a least if it blows up i can rebuild the engine in the car park! seriously tho chalkie i dont take myself that seriously ,i like a grin and i like ppl who inspire me, get the old grey matter going know what i mean

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    What about something like this?

quote:Originally posted by Tone

The Bo'l'Dor.Seen a few of those with the shock mounts moved and it makes a big improvement to the look,nice jacked up back end (ooh er!).There was a coupla websites devoted to these bikes Frankenbiker.
    ta tone ill try the jacked up bit itll make room for the zorst

dave thats nice mate mines gonna be similar but very black with underseat zorst[just found out one of my customers is well up for making it for me ]

well ive nearly got all me bits together sharky sent me a pair of yam shocks turns out they have had work done by race tech so their gonna rebuild em for 300odd bucks , bought a acerbis type light from jacktar
    now all i need is a front tyre 120/70/17 pref michelin pilot
    some gixer/bandit clocks, a master cyl and clutch combo from something post 80's
    then its just elbow grease,
    im gonna have a crack at an underseat exhaust too cos theres this big hole where the shocl used to go on the new swing arm beggin to have a pipe put thru it just gtta hope i dont burn me arse

Right then after some good advice ive decided to stick with the stock swing arm for now [unless anyone knows of a cb1100 with one going spare?] cos the suzy one is too long and will increase my wheelbaes to 60" which kinda defeats the object..

so heres the first pics of a long process to get her ready for april the sprocket carier is away having 12mm taken off it to line the chain up properly
    and iv started getting rid of the steel from under the tailpice to tidy it up a bit

the torque arm lined up quite well but needs the hole drilling out to accept the suzys bigger bolt and a couple of washers

i need to weld some 'U' brakets onto the swingarm to accept the new shocks and make up some bushes to put on the wheel spindle [its smaller dia than the honda one ]all in all its been easier than i thot

its lookin good man. I have a question for you. taking 12mm off the carrier, does that make the chain come close to the tire at all? also where are you taking the 12mm from? The fingers that go into the cush drive dont actually contact anything, there is going to be a bearing race that contacts, or should be. If that thing still has the stock 140 on it you should be okay but make sure its not too close. And remember oring and roller chains are different widths if you need a little clearance. Is your rear caliper going to hit the shock? with the acception of the bleed screw, you could probably run it under the axle, or find a gsxr caliper and run it under.
    good luck

im takin the 12mm off the front of the carrier [where the sprocket bolts on ]the tyre is a 150/60 michelin pilot the original tyre was a 130/50or summat
    ive got about 10mm clearance from the tyre and ur right i do fancy haviin the caliper underneath its justforce of habit bein a pomm im used to road salt and shit getting into it..no such probs here thinkin about it with the new shox bein a bit wider they probably will hit the caliper ..easy fix tho

how much material is there on that carrier? i know my gsxr stuff is hollow behind.

so is mine but there is about 20mm of hole thickness for the bolt to go thru all im really concerned about is the bearing housing if it starts cracking ill have to come up with somethin else but it should be ok

did you leave the housing and just sink where the sprocket mounts? or did you drop the whole thing and are going to use a big spacer? as long as the rest of your wheel spacers fit right if it does crack you should have any major problems, besides not going anywhere, but it should be a catastrophic failure or anything.

just the sprocket mounts matt stuck it in a lathe and machined it down [or at least i will when my m8 gets time to let me on it] the spacers are the orignals i just centred the wheel and cut the left hand one down put one bit on one side and left the other one where it was cos when i test fitted the wheel with al the original [suzuki] spacers they fitted but the gsx wheel was 22mm off to the left
    .so i figured that if its all the right distance then just cut the sprocket side spacer at the right distance and swop them ...it worked ...the wheel is now centred but obviously the sprokets well off..
    i did find that there s much more room in the swing arm than i thot their would be ..could get maybe a 170 in there no probs

im sure you could but remember how much more you would have to space your sprocket around to fit a 170. Thats the toughest part of any swap is making sure the sprockets line up right. good luck man

nice one matt cheers

i just realized, this is bad, i have half of a 79 cb750ss in my garage. I have the motor electrics carbs and i noticed the swing arm. im sure its the same, or no better, then yours but i thought it was funny. I was building a gocart out of it years ago, most dangerous thing you ever saw.

well ive started the front end..ground out the old steering stem from the gsx bottom yolk and pushed the honda one in[ the 900s stem is just held in the bottom yolk by interferance fit and a pinch bolt]i did find that the suzy yolk is a bit thinner than the hondas so i had to leave about 10mm hanging out the bottom next thing is to ream out the top yolks centre hole to accept the bigger honda stem
    ive also chopped about 50mm off the rear frame rails so when the seat unit is back on u wont see those nasty indicator mounts hanging down.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast