Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nelpd96's Triumph 650

Weekend Warrior
    Yeah, that is going to be the challange with the new tail is keeping it angular like the tank. I have to change it though because at the moment the tail is too big for the rest of the bike and it doesn't look quite right. I have an idea about and integrated bellypan/muffler but I am not too sure how I will go about it yet. I will probably see if I can get some 1.3mm plate on the weekend and start bending it up. Although it is a little bigger that I would like I am lucky because the battery and all the other shit that sits under the seat is in a nice little box with a couple only 2 bolts to hold it in so that should fit in well. Anyway I will chuck up some photos this afternoon.

Cheers
    Paul

Weekend Warrior
    Ok so I managed to get a bit done the subframe is pretty much finished now I just have to work out how I am going to attach the old pillion seat cover thing and from there it will be a heap of space foam and fibre glass to finish it off. I probably wont get it finished this weekend but it is good to be playing around with the bike again.

Cheers
    Paul

Weekend Warrior
    Ok some more photos of the sub frame, I figured that I would just cover it in foam, shape it and then fibreglass over the top and give it a coat of paint. It isn't too bad because if i stuff it up I just spray on some more foam. Hope to have the first layer of glass on before the weekend as I will be heading away wit work for about 6 weeks.

Cheers
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Never seen it done this way before? Keep it coming mate!

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Nice work.

Weekend Warrior
    Hopefully I will finish getting it shaped this arvo. Unfortunatly I am running against the clock as I am heading up to the Goldy for 6 weeks with work. I wanted to get a layer of glass on it before I left but I guess I will just have to see how I go. I have made up a plate to go over the top yoke so that I can fit some risers because the top yoke wasn't flat. It looks a little home made at the moment but it should be ok with a bit of black paint.

Cheers
    Paul

Weekend Warrior
    I have finished shaping it......well one side at least. I guess this is the problem with this method is getting both sides the same. If I can unfuck the other side I should be able to get a layer of glass on tomorrow.

Cheers
    Paul

Weekend Warrior
    Well I have got the tail one but the taillight that I had in the other one doesn't want to go in so I am going to try to put one of the universal ones that Ben was selling on there (if he has any left) otherwise I will have to come up with another plan. Next step if to sort out what I am going to do with the exhaust.

Cheers
    Paul

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    christ mate that has come up an absolute treat, well done.

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    nelp u still got ur old passenger pegs mate and what u done withthe old subframe and seat ...{i have a cunning plan}

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries
    Looks like the school hard nut mate,[8D] you admire it but you would'nt want to fuck with it.[B)] Looks a total Bruit mate.

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries
    Did you fiberglass straight on to the foam matey? or did you put a protective layer to stop the chemicals eating the foam?

Can the foam be sanded into shape, or do you have to knife it?

I'm gonna be doing a small change to my tank and I think your method will get the result I'm looking for.

Cracking bike build mate.

Weekend Warrior
    Jockney, I still have the old bits but I think that I will keep them hanging in the shed for those long trips when I don't feel like squashing my nuts against the tank. It is suprisingly comfy though because of the size of the tank it supports you quite well.

Cheers
    Paul

Weekend Warrior
    CBRRRT,
    I taped the foam to start with but you don't really need to. I would just put a coat of resin down on the foam first so that you have a non porus surface when you do the glassing. You can cut the rough shape and then sand it if you want. The problem that I found was that depending on the temperature there were sometimes big holes in the foam when you cut the top off. Easy fix was to just squirt more foam in there. I like it because if you cut to much off you just squirt more foam on. The blue high density foam would probably give a better finish if you we able to get it right first time though.

Cheers
    Paul

P.S. I really need to do something with that exhaust now

ASF Premium Full Member fimpBIKES's Avatar
    great effort mate!
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    no worries ..if u come across a set of daytona pillion rests im interested

Weekend Warrior
    One of mine is busted anyway from when I bought it from auction, I just pinned it and cover the crack with JB weld and painted it. Check out Daytona600.org as they tend to have a bi of stuff on there. Mostly in the UK but they are light and east to send.

Cheers
    Paul
    P.S. Just got a universal taillight from Ben so I should be able to finish it off this weekend.

Weekend Warrior
    Nice 1 nelpd, I love me trumpies 2 keep the picks coming M[8]

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    hey nelpd can i ask what brand and model ur headlights are? they r exactly what ive had in mind for mine

ASF Standard Full Member oldskool's Avatar
    Love your work mate looks Great!
    "I call it a Camberwell carrot as I invented it in Camberwell and it looks alot like a carrot"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast