Thread: Welding ???

Welding ???

Can i weld mild steel to stainless using Electric Arc and stainless rods? I dont have a TIG.
    thanks

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    yes you can davo. its actually alot easier to weld with stainless rods as well. or if you want ill weld them on my new beaut mig.

Bloke with a smaller stick 03gixxerpilot's Avatar
    yep what oz said about welding
    Born again Juvenile delinquent

Weekend Warrior
    G.day Davo i used stainless rods for joining mild and stainless for the first time just the other day piece a piss to use n sweet lookin too. Good luck

thanks for the help. Shaynno i got lots to weld so it'll take me ages,but thanx for the offer.

cheers

Bloke with a smaller stick BillyWhizz888's Avatar
    Hi

new to this site and found this topic..... which just happens to be in my area of expertise.... I know... no brainer you think :-)

welding carbon to stainless steel is achievable with a 309 electrode, though unless proficient with MMA and dissimiler metals the chances of gas pores and slag inclusion are common, best to use tig as the argon purge helps to get rid of most of the impurities...

Previously in industry these two were often joined, these days, never if possible

BUT, carbon to stainless will cause problems, as the two materials combined will cause corrosion further down the track (Electrolosis)

Will be happy to assist in any way I can

Cheers
    Fcuk Off Ya Twat