Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: VFR 800, my first build

Thanks fellas!

Sadly all did not go well with the dyno, we discovered a MASSIVE leak from between the V once the bike reached high temperature from what I can only assume is the thermostat.

Normally it's just a matter of removing the airbox and fuel rails to access the V, sadly someone, probably me, put the intake boot clamps on the wrong way when I dropped the engine last time, meaning they cant be accessed from the gap in the frame they usually are, meaning I'm going to have to drop the whole engine out to access them...

ASF Premium Full Member
    now that is a motherfucker.
    more titanium than my bike

Oh shit, that's a huge pain in the arss. Poor bugger.
    Monster GSXR 7/11 RIP!
    Raven R1 Demon.
    K7 750 German Style (under construction)

Blog Entries
    My "That-sucks" meter just started giving a reading.....

After many long hours of labour and much swearing, I managed to lever the throttle bodies off without removing the engine!

And I think we've found the culprit...

Pulled out the thermostat and little hose nipple thingies, sure enough o-rings were completely stuffed, they also smelt like shit which can't be a good sign.

Replacements ordered, in the meantime I have some plans with fans, specifically 3 80mm PC cooling fans which will fit in nicely behind the radiator.

Only thing I'm struggling with is how to wire them so they activate at a certain temperature now that the stock temp sensor is no longer connected. Any ideas?

ASF Premium Full Member
    the fans circuit comes on by completing the earth. Temp sensor isn't needed.
    From memory, fan circuit is always getting power.
    the rad has a fan switch (brass threaded sensor, single spade connector) that threads into it. When that gets hot enough, it completes the earth circuit, fan comes on.
    I've earthed my rad to the frame.

you can either put the fan switch back in the rad, or just wire in a manual override, or both.

I've got 3x 80mm fans from jaycar on my rad.
    Last edited by hooligan; 16-11-2017 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
    the fans circuit comes on by completing the earth. Temp sensor isn't needed.
    From memory, fan circuit is always getting power.
    the rad has a fan switch (brass threaded sensor, single spade connector) that threads into it. When that gets hot enough, it completes the earth circuit, fan comes on.
    I've earthed my rad to the frame.

you can either put the fan switch back in the rad, or just wire in a manual override, or both.

I've got 2 80mm fans from jaycar on my rad.
    Ok cool, I'm running the VFR750 rad which has a single pin temp sensor on the left side, assuming that's the same thing.

How's the cooling? I reckon I can fit in two 120mm 150cfm fans which should be enough to keep the bike from overheating when stopped.

ASF Premium Full Member
    I commuted on it, so good enough for me - I only want to use it for open road/track day shenanigans, so if it commutes at 100, open road i'm sweet.
    And yes, same thing.
    I could only fit 80's in because my custom rad is small.

Quick update, no photos as it's mostly under the hood. Got the new o-rings, cleaned up and refitted the thermostat aaaaannndd...

NO LEAKS!

Also finally properly mounted the speedo pickup, gonna pick up some chicken wire tomorrow to pack the muffler for inspection, fingers crossed I pass

Hahaha I read that gif in Borats voice.....

Good luck with inspection mate, hope it all goes well.
    Monster GSXR 7/11 RIP!
    Raven R1 Demon.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Good on ya mate, fingers crossed you don't get any more little gremlins, mechanical or inspector...

I swear to God I'm cursed, was giving the bike a once over before the inspection in the morning. As I was checking the front wheel, the front sand slipped and the bike fell on me, breaking the right mirror mounting thread inside the bars and, more importantly, ripping my favorite pants

So yeah, gonna need new bars and mirrors, hopefully I can get them locally

ASF Premium Full Member
    numbers (Wollongong) is selling a set of MT09 fatbars. When mine tipped over it punched a couple of holes in the petrol tank.

Find your own pants.

Bloke with a smaller stick rod185651's Avatar
    numbers (Wollongong) is selling a set of MT09 fatbars. When mine tipped over it punched a couple of holes in the petrol tank.

Find your own pants.
    Thanks Chris, I have MT09 bars and a set of Renthals Fat bars also

Crisis averted!

I managed to cut a new thread into the bar insert using a tap and fitted a slightly bigger bolt, works great but I will end up replacing the bars anyway, got my eye on a set of renthal fat drag bars.

Also had a fiddle with the map, ended up putting it back to stock and it appears to be running much better now, suppose the extra length of my undertail and the chicken wire baffling are restricting the flow a bit.

ASF Premium Full Member
    And rear set adapters!!!

And rear set adapters!!!
    Seb reckons they'll ship in a couple of weeks, cant wait to ditch the shitty stock ones!

Just got back from a brief holiday, fitted a CBR1000rr rear master which seems to match up to the 2 pot VFR rear caliper nicely, lever feels good and solid. Also came with a proper HRC reservoir which was a bonus.

Roadworthy inspection tomorrow, for real this time, not gonna run away for a week :P

Sadly didn't pass inspection, apparently my headlight and mirrors weren't ok, need to be OEM not just ADR. Bike performed well on the ride there though, cooling system worked well even on a 37 degree day. However I noticed a fair bit of chatter from the front brakes under even mild breaking, presumably the calipers are in need of a rebuild or the steering head bearings are fucked.

Thats bullshit Seb, ADR gear is compliant, that should be well enough! Sorry to hear it didn't go to plan.
    Whats the next plan for it then?
    Monster GSXR 7/11 RIP!
    Raven R1 Demon.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast