Thread: Need some project advice after selling my Ducati Streetfighter

New to Streetfighters

Wink Need some project advice after selling my Ducati Streetfighter

Hi all

Due to the need for cash to complete house reno's and to keep the missus happy I have to reluctantly part company with my 2012 Ducati 848 streetfighter. The only sense of fairness in this stupidity is the missus has to sell her Triumph street triple as well . Ive been toying with the idea of buying a cheapish jap sports bike and modifying it to make it a streetfighter for some time and I guess now is a great time to finally make a move.
    I absolutely love the Duc, the suspension and brakes in particular are amazing, and I don't expect to achieve anything near as refined without spending big coin which I obviously can't do.
    Basically I'm after suggestions as to which bikes you guys think are the best bang for buck (think $4000) with good streetfighter potential to finish up with something that produces good power without major engine mods, suspension that can be tweaked or upgraded from another model and decent brakes. I'm fairly handy on the tools with a mechanical background and can mig/tig so happy to utilise those skills.
    This is my first project so apologies if I'm asking stupid questions. Over to you experts

Steveor

welcome mate sorry you have to sell your bike always a sad time ,but just think you could pick up a nice cbr 929 -954 and fighter it ,now wait for all the suzuki riders to chip in .

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Im happy on the R6. Its fun, light requires little maintenance. For me a crashed bike should be fightered, sort of forces you down a path and to be creative so $4k should be heaps for pretty much any brand.

ASF Premium Full Member
    I'd go with any modern bike, as in, anything that comes with radial brakes. Motors are great, brakes are great, suspension is great (and for $500 you can get springs for your weight and valving to suit for the front, and probably the same again for the rear).
    Then it's just a styling exercise, which makes your first project a bit easier.
    Buying a crashed bike in NSW to reregister has a fair bit of paperwork to do, makes it more trouble than it's worth to me, so I'd look for a 05 or so anything that has a fun motor.
    Or go classic and buy an oil boiler gsxr 11/bandit because they have fun motors.
    more titanium than my bike

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Are you looking for something already fightered or something crashed to do yourself ? Depending on your engineering and mechanical skills its pretty easy to burn money when you pay someone else to work on the bike. I agree with Hooligan that any modern bike will be good it really comes down to what you like. I have a 929 like SAfighter and love it, I like the look of them without clothes, there quick and reliable and parts are fairly easy to come buy. They also weren't the most popular so resale prices are on the lower side.

Couple of 929 already fightered on gumtree

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/maroo...000/1099025477

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/logan...4x4/1100704436

Blog Entries
    I honsetly reckon that any modern sportsbike is going to be a good base as Chris said. So with that in mind you can start being choosy and going for something you like the look of when finished. Have a look in here for some ideas / inspiration: http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...hter-Galleries