Thread: Hello, anyone here?

Weekend Warrior

Hello, anyone here?

I have a dream to go road racing before I'm 50, I know I'll have to join a club, probably motor cycle sportsman, do a few track day's and coaching and start in the rookies class before getting signed for a Moto GP ride.Before going to the track I was hoping to use my gixxer, I know about wiring filler caps over flow bottles etc. What I don't know the club will tell me, but I don't want to turn up looking like a bigger knob than I already am.Do I need to put fairings back on and the mx bars mounted to the stock triple clamp, are they going to get me laughed at ? Is an 01 gixxer thou suitable for rookies or any other class.
    Thanks for any advise. Cheers.
    Last edited by craig; 15-10-2014 at 08:08 PM.

Bloke with a smaller stick
    You should be able to run the bars fine. All they care about is safety and liquids on the track.
    They will/should move the bars through a full range of movent so if your switch blocks hit the tank or go close to hitting that could be an issue.

01 thou is a lot of bike for a first timer on the track. A 600 may suit you better but if you respect the power then it shouldn't bit you to hard.

Weekend Warrior
    Thank's Deano, yes respect l understand that one. Will take a while to get to the track. I've got over 12 months before 50.
    Should be able to have a crack in the new year, just want to be competent enough so I'm not a danger to others.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    I doubt you would be a danger to others mate,you should have been racing years ago .

ASF Basic Full Member
    Start in the novice/newbie group, you can always change groups throughout the day. Often the people running the track day will monitor you and maybe recommend you change groups as your confidence and skills improve. Most important, you'll have a blast.
    GSX1400 Need I say more? Probably, yes.

ASF Basic Full Member
    Can't really comment on what group you should be riding with Craig, mainly because all I see of you on the road is your tail light disappearing over the hill. Don't think you'll last too long in the slow group.

ASF Basic Full Member
    If you've never done a track day before and don't lie to the organisers, they will advise that you start the day in the novice group as it covers their ass. You will very quickly find a group that suits your skill level and the rest of the day will awesome. Take any advice about reducing tyre pressures with a (large?) pinch of salt, know what I mean?
    Last edited by Mr Ed; 18-10-2014 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Spelling 7/10. See me later.
    GSX1400 Need I say more? Probably, yes.

Bloke with a smaller stick
    You are more likely to have a crash in the novice group especially if you have some decent speed about you as people around are not the best at holding lines etc. keep in mind if the day or group is booked out you may have to wait for a spot to open up before you can change groups. If there is 4 groups and you are classed as speedy amungst your mates go for the 2nd group IMO

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks everyone for the kind words and good advice. I've done one track day Queensland raceway a few years ago on a different bike [ loved it]. I know the track is going to be different to the road so I'm happy to take my time to get there and to listen to as much advise as l can.
    Cheers.

If you're keen,instead of doing just trackdays....maybe do one of the various superbike schools going around?
    Atleast they'll pull you up on bad habits....before you get too used to it...and you'll probably end up faster,quicker doing these types of days??
    Im sure Bernie Hatton does this type of stuff up in Qld......I've heard good reviews of the training days he does on the short circuit at Eastern Creek/SMSP.

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks Nick, good idea. Bernie is an old mate from the late eighties that l haven't seen in many years. My dad had lessons with him to get his bike license back then.

Hey Craig .. Good luck in the racing. My advise on this is just remember ... when you get out there ... Just have fun
    Your not racing for multi million dollar contracts or as much as I hate this cliche " your not racing for sheep stations "
    if you get my drift :-) at the end of the day its a plastic trophy .. which I admit does look good on the mantle piece ;-)
    Not only will it improve your road skills and how to set up a bike you will also meet a really good bunch of men and woman who will become your family :-)