Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: VTR1000f build. With pics.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by xa-mont View Post
    the only problem i see with the subframe is that it's butt ugly. i would be rethinking that one if i were you.

Post some more close up pictures of where the subframe meets the frame and we can all try nut out a better idea for you.
    Yep, its not the prettiest. But I don't really have a work place & only have hand tools. I am open to suggestions.
    I was thinking about a carbon fiber wrap around the angle, might look better & add some strength, what yall think ?

Last edited by aaa123; 06-06-2014 at 09:16 PM.

Weekend Warrior
    Some Dick dented my tank, so I am going for a colour change, White. Also got some mirrors hooked up.
    When I do the front end swap I will probably go dirt bars.

Oh, & today sucks the big one !

Got up at 5am to go to work & had a flat tyre, then when I come home & check the mail there is 5 envelopes, I open the 1st one & its a $600 bill, the 2nd one is a $200 bill, the 3rd one is another $200 bill, the 4th one is a $875 bill & the 5th one is a $1006 bill, what the fuck ! That's almost $3,000 . I keep thinking of all the parts I could of bought for my bike. So today officially sucks the big one.
    Last edited by aaa123; 27-06-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Weekend Warrior
    Connected my indicators & I also got a cbr1000rr LED tail light.

Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by aaa123 View Post
    Yep, its not the prettiest. But I don't really have a work place & only have hand tools. I am open to suggestions.
    I was thinking about a carbon fiber wrap around the angle, might look better & add some strength, what yall think ?

i'd make adapter plates for the subbie mate, which tie up all the mounting holes together. i could draw what i mean if you want

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Surt View Post
    i'd make adapter plates for the subbie mate, which tie up all the mounting holes together. i could draw what i mean if you want
    Yeah, lets see it. Nothing to complex tho, I got no fancy tools or work place. That's why I went for the alu angle, cause it was easy enough for me to cut with hack saw & use hand file to smooth out edges & cordless drill for the holes.

I seen this vtr1000 sub-frame made from alu & that's what made me think my stacked together L-angle would be strong enough, the sub-frame below looks like it is made out of 2mm thick tube & brackets. So I figured 9mm thick would be ok for strength.

Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia

smth like that, all you need is a drill, angle grinder or/and jig saw

Weekend Warrior
    Hears another shot of my sub-frame bracket that every one wants gone ,

Also I got my vtr exhaust hangers to work on the cbr sub-frame, just needed to drill one extra hole each side in the cbr sub-frame & it all lines up for my mufflers, cool.

And my rear brake reservoir bracket I cut out of a $2 bread board from the supermarket.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Surt View Post

smth like that, all you need is a drill, angle grinder or/and jig saw
    Yep, I was originally wanting to do a bracket like that (see below), but my problem was that the vtr's upper & lower sub-frame mounting points are not the same width, the lower mounting point is much wider than the upper mounting point & the cbr's sub-frame also has different width upper & lower mounting points (see below picture).

You can see in the below picture why I went with the straight angle to join the lower mounting points.

Last edited by aaa123; 07-06-2014 at 09:45 PM.

Weekend Warrior
    I would like to do something like this, But at the moment I don't think I am able to make it.

i think if you go from inside the bottom mount to outside top mount you will be close with a few washers as spacers

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by safighter View Post
    i think if you go from inside the bottom mount to outside top mount you will be close with a few washers as spacers
    Hey safighter, it is 25mm +/- 2mm gap between the upper & lower, see below image.

These brackets look about 25mm thick,

This is what I have come up with, the blue part is the new bracket, I would need to cut part of cbr subframe away (red shaded section) & put bolt threw cbr lower mount (green circles). Something like that, what you all think,
    Keep the comments coming ! Thanks every one.

Weekend Warrior
    I'm thinking maybe this, Blue bracket 25mm thick & second red bracket welded behind blue bracket, then I don't need to cut cbr lower mount with bolt threw lower mount & red bracket.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    I was going to suggest putting a solid bar between the 2 lower mounts and then welding on mounts for the subframe on that

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wackyrider View Post
    I was going to suggest putting a solid bar between the 2 lower mounts and then welding on mounts for the subframe on that
    Do you mean like this ?,

this ?,

Or this ?,

Or something else ?

who the fuck gets $3000 bills in the post in 1 day. Nothin wrong with havin a go mate,i used a lot of extruded alloy on my old bike to make things fit,started out as a rat fighter then ended up quite impressive in its day. Just gotta clean up the square cut lookin ends and make it all flow. Where are you located? chances are there is someone in your area that can help you with the stuff you lack tools to do yourself.(pronounced Yousef in Bankstown)
    Last edited by davo; 09-06-2014 at 11:16 PM.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by davo View Post
    who the fuck gets $3000 bills in the post in 1 day. Nothin wrong with havin a go mate,i used a lot of extruded alloy on my old bike to make things fit,started out as a rat fighter then ended up quite impressive in its day. Just gotta clean up the square cut lookin ends and make it all flow. Where are you located? chances are there is someone in your area that can help you with the stuff you lack tools to do yourself.(pronounced Yousef in Bankstown)
    Hey davo, updated my location ( Melbourne, Vic ). I live in an apartment, so I can not make any noise or mess ( to many people will complain ) so I can not be using any angle grinders or stuff like that, that's why I have been using aluminium angle, cause I can cut it with a hack saw, its easy & quiet.
    I called up a water jet cutting company today about having them cut out some brackets for the subframe, I told them I could give them some cardboard templates & asked if they could scan the templates into the computer then cut out my brackets using aluminium, they said they could not scan in my templates, they would have to draw them up in the computer & the time it will take for them to draw in the computer would probably make it to expensive , so I think I will have to leave the brackets for now ( maybe paint them black so they blend in ). But I will keep thinking about it & keep the ideas coming every one. Iv never used a milling machine before, if I sent some one some card board templates of the brackets would it cost much to make out of aluminium ?

if you make templates and post them to me (i'm in Bairnsdale, Vic) I will draw them up in whatever format they want them for free.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by xa-mont View Post
    if you make templates and post them to me (i'm in Bairnsdale, Vic) I will draw them up in whatever format they want them for free.
    Hey xa-mont, that's a generous offer, thanking you kindly !

The water jet cutting place did tell me what format they wanted, but I kind of drifted off when they were saying it would probably cost too much for them to draw up the brackets, they did say I was welcome to bring the templates down for them to take a look at.
    Maybe I will make up some cardboard templates & go see them to talk about what format they require & costs for cutting.

This is basically what I was thinking. I will let you know what they say.

Last edited by aaa123; 22-06-2014 at 03:58 PM.

Yeah pretty much.

The waterjetting place would probably want the drawings in DXF format or maybe DWG.

Place the measurements of the drawings that you did and either Trav or myself can draw them up for you. You just need to make sure you fully dimension the templates.

good luck with it
    Last edited by davo; 11-06-2014 at 05:21 PM.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast