Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ZX10 Cafe Racer Build

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Yep you're right - they do some pretty cool stuff to turn a ducati into a cafe racer - this was the original inspiration for the idea:

Attachment 3328

But that means having a Ducati for start and I've already had a shite experience with them so don't really fancy one again. And the 999 feels like a mountain bike with a motor when you're on them. The tail end and tank are skinny as.

But the profiles right and Bens already doing a perfect job on making it suit so it's probably saved some time and money.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails radical-ducati-9-1-2-half-3.jpg  

Weekend Warrior
    Know what you mean about the Ducati experience. Brothers got a 749S and needed 3 speedos/dashs replaced in the first year not to mention the computer and a thousand other problems.
    The ZX10 is going to be very different. Great to see.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Top clamp has been cut and it looks awesome. It'll be black on the finished bike but this is a shot of it now with the new clock, clip ons and levers all attachedAttachment 3346

Attachment 3347
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails top clamp.jpg   top clamp 2.jpg  

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    And now the tail unit is a bit wider it looks better too. The battery is going to be changed to smaller and lighter jobbie so the power commander and computer can all still be wedged in under the seat bump once it's finished.
    The lights will all sit on the back and probably just look like old round ones to suit a cafe racer. Issue is the number plate - whether to wedge it right in against the shock and encourage getting pulled up all the time. Or just live with it hanging off the end.

Going to get a new one anyway with only 4 characters on it as they now come on a smaller plate - see what it looks like when it arrives
    Attachment 3348
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wide seat unit.jpg  

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    And this is the headlight. Its off a VRod and probably the closest I'll get to a Harley for a while. its got the perfect gradient on it though as it follows the rake of the forks.
    Only thing to work out is how to get the air flow in behind the light. It's not like the GSXR when the air flow went through the vents in the frame. It sits right behind the light so it's going to need some kind of scoop that sits over the vent and hen comes down under the light. Without looking like that thing that is on a ZX12

Attachment 3349
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails headlight.jpg  

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Blog Entries
    keeps getting better and better

I'm loving this build. This bike is gonna be awesome when finished

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    For slightly less positive reasons, the conversion of the other bike into a track only toy, has been a bit accelerated. Last Sunday i was at Eastern Creek on it for the first time. Awesome day out and had a lot of drama free fun. I put some Dunlop cut slicks on it which are ok but get chewed to fuck like Pirellis just don't seem to. There were OK but slide around a bit once they ball up. Cool at the track, not so cool on the road.

So on Tuesday I put the lights and plate back on and went to go to work. On my road there's a little bend at the bottom. I lent over just like normal and went to open it up just like normal. As I did, the back suddenly slid way more than I expected and then gripped. Chucked me right in the air and had a high side for breakie. I was probably only doing 60 so no real chaos but enough to take it off the road.

You can see on the tyre pick where its just started to spin and not gripped before it grabbed the road again. If there's a silver lining, all the bits that are fucked - fairing, exhaust, pegs - are all getting replaced anyway. And its my fault - i know better than to give it handful on cold tyres. I must have had a big cup of fuckwit before i left.

On the bad side, I am now spunking way too much cash so i am having to sell my truck to pay for them. Which sort of fucks me as that's what I take the track bike to EC in. But Ill work that one out later. Getting the bikes up and running trumps worrying about where my 4 wheeled transport is coming from.

Attachment 3350Attachment 3351Attachment 3352Attachment 3353
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chewed tyre.jpg   exhuast.jpg   fairing damage.jpg   bar end.jpg  

I had a similar problem with the number plate, Dave.
    I tried about a dozen different locations till I found one I hated less than the others.
    The plus is you get a smidge more protection from the rooster tail in the wet...

I had mine on the 7 like that the only problem with the plate like that is the angle they will defect you for it and the problem with NSW is 2 defects for the same thing and they pull your rego
    'Originally Posted by rock hard stock swingarms are for blokes with balls!! ha ha'

I would love to become a professional whistler. I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.

Yella turbo ZX7 Winner VCM Best Streetfighter and SOS encouragement award NFR 2011
    http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...-s-ZX7-project

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Quote Originally Posted by Yella View Post
    I had mine on the 7 like that the only problem with the plate like that is the angle they will defect you for it and the problem with NSW is 2 defects for the same thing and they pull your rego
    Is the angle that bad? I've seen plenty of dirt bikes with the plate mounted horizontally on the rear plastics.

If they are looking for something they will find it mine wasn't that bad but still defected for that, no rear reflector and no rear indicators but they didn't see the turbo so I took it without a fight and moved on
    'Originally Posted by rock hard stock swingarms are for blokes with balls!! ha ha'

I would love to become a professional whistler. I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.

Yella turbo ZX7 Winner VCM Best Streetfighter and SOS encouragement award NFR 2011
    http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...-s-ZX7-project

Good to hear you are ok mate. Shame the gixer isn't a K6 I've got a set of race glass to fit one thats going spare....

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Cheers dude - never mind - race glass is on the way, the stuff from China is cheap as fuck these days and as its just a track bike, that'll do fine. Bit of messing about with a heat gun and it'll fit.

For the plate, I'm thinking your option is right Dan. I have a mate who's put one of those new Ducati Pengalis (spelling?) and he has the standard tail tidy on the back. But he's been nicked 3 times since he's had it as the angle is just a little high. The last time, like Yella says, they said they'd suspend his rego til he got it changed.

When i had this streetfighter, although it wasn't technically in line, the fact that enough effort was made for it to be nesr enough meant I never got pulled and too much agro to get stuff changed back. i think if i can stick with that principle on this one, it might be OK. so the plate is probably going to have to go on the arse with the lights just to suck it up and keep the peaceAttachment 3357
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R Front.jpg  

Blog Entries
    That bike is coming on nicely Dave. Good choice mate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12