Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZX10 Cafe Racer Build

Pizza delivery boy/girl

ZX10 Cafe Racer Build

Rather than approach this build like the last one, I have decided not to smash the bike up first but to start with a perfectly good, well proven bike.
    I should also add this build has nothing to do with my talent at all - it's all via Ben at Extreme. He did an awesome job on my previous bike and so he was the obvious place to go for this one.

I wanted to get a cafe racer built. I had a great SF from a K4 GSXR and it handled so well, it's always going to be hard to top it.
    And i actually like the feel of a bike with clips ons. So a cafe racer was a good alternative. Originally I wanted to buy an old 999 and but that meant not enough cash for the build. So i'm taking my current bike and using that. And then I'll work another bike just for the track.

This is the last time it was seen with it's kit on and then Ben quickly got rid of a sizeable 17kgs

Attachment 2955

There's quite of bit of custom stuff to build now that it's been pulled apart but the end game is to have something along the lines of this..

Attachment 2956
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Strip down.jpg   zx10r_cafe_racer_porcorosso.jpg  

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    I'll bet it comes back with a turbo

Bloke with a smaller stick BANDITROD's Avatar
    yeah i reckon your right ivan

Glenn Eason drinks and smokes and lends his arse to other blokes

Blog Entries
    Nice one Dave. A Cafe racer looking bike with that sort of power will mess with quite a few heads.

Weekend Warrior
    Love the cafe look. A bit hard to do with modern type of frame but the 3rd pic looks great !

ASF Standard Full Member oldskool's Avatar
    I love the idea!
    "I call it a Camberwell carrot as I invented it in Camberwell and it looks alot like a carrot"

Its gonna look great when its done mate.
    Ladies and Gentelmen, take my advise. "Pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

RevHead
    yup im with Ivan and Rod on this itl get boosted,

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    So stuff is starting to arrive and get made and whilst it's not on the bike yet, you get an idea for where it's going

Bens going to get rid of the stock top clamp and build a new one probably something like this:
    Attachment 3122
    And then a similar dash but in black will drop in to replace the pretty ugly and heavy set up that's sits in it right now:

Attachment 3123

The seat is being made in carbon fibre and will look the same style as this;

Attachment 3124

It's being made now(ish). I hope so anyway. The dude speaks spanish so I assume he said he'll finish it in Jan. If nothing happens I know that what he said actually means, 'fuck yourself, it'll be ready when i am'

There's some other bits on the way - new clip ons, engine guards and carbon fibre bits so I'll get up once they get here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Top clamp 2.jpg   dash.jpg   cafe seat.jpg  

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Blog Entries
    Ill be very intrested in what you think of that moto gadet clock
    I am looking very hard at same one but taco

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Santa got the postman to get his arse in gear and suddenly everything has started turning up.

Seat unit is here. It's a little bit rough in spots but it the right shape. Just need to now work out of the old sub frame can be made to fit or that has to be changed too.

Attachment 3294

This will get painted along with the tank so it's not too much of an issue that it has the odd spot on it.

Got to pull the rest of the stuff out of boxes later and i'll stick it all up. Then off to Ben's on Sat to get some pictures of where it's all at.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seat.jpg  

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    And because i am getting what was a perfectly good track tool chopped up, i got hold of this last week to replace it. It's got rego til April and then once that's up, I'll just get race glass for it and keep it for track days. First one os Sunday providing the rain stays away
    Attachment 3295
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails track bike.jpg  

nice

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Looks loud.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Had a catch up with Ben at the weekend as a bucket load of stuff has arrived - clips ons, new levers, rear sets, carbon guards front and back, engine casing etc and the seat unit.

The actual arse end that will make it look like a cafe racer is from a site that makes after market stuff for Ducatis. So the profile is perfect but it's too skinny by far. So It's being cut in half and widened so it'll fit the new subrame

Attachment 3324
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seat widening.jpg  

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Even with the widening though, the old subframe just looks nasty. It looks like a couple of RSJ's hanging out the back once it stripped back. So Ben's making a custom sub-frame for it that'll look something like this

Attachment 3325Attachment 3326

You can see that the new hugger is too big once you get the arse end on. So that's going to be cut back too so it finishes shorter than the tail unit. Need to work out what the lights and hanger will look like but I'll probably get a new number plate.

I'm not a fan of personalized plates only because they seem too easy to remember for anyone who clocks you doing something you shouldn't be. But i figure once this is finished it'll be pretty unique so it doesn't matter. So I will change it for less letters and numbers so the width of the plate is less.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Subframe test.jpg   Subfrane black.jpg  

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Still stuck on how to finish it all off. The original idea was to have the whole thing orange with a carbon fibre GT set of stripes running a little off centre from front to back. The guards will be carbon fibre and anything else will be black or silver.

Closest colour I could find that suited was this as the orange is a bit deeper;

Attachment 3327

But I'd forgotten that the ZX10 came in an orange anyway. So it might end up looking just like a standard 10 after all the paint work. As Large pointed out, he's got an orange one anyway so he'll just chuck a cafe racer seta on it and say they are the same bike.

So might start again on that but either way it'll be bright
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Orange_Porsche_911_GT3_RS_Type_997_(side).jpg  

fuck thats looking good

ASF Premium Full Member MattyDucati's Avatar
    Nice mate!
    Cheers Matt

I hate being bipolar, its awesome!

Weekend Warrior
    Looking good Dave. The Radical seat unit has been used on a Ducati ST2 in the latest Motorcycle News. It does look a bit small.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast