Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiwi's new project "PROJECT NEW/OLDSKOOL"

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    That's going to look shit hot mate. Absolutely love those wheels. Seems like we're both thinking along the same lines with a big old aircooled muscle bike with plenty of power. These big old air cooled bruisers seem to be getting quite popular here in Melbourne. Maybe when we all get them finished we should all get together for a blast. Probs be a year or two down the line for me though.

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    ozzy - I don't want to fuk with the head stem at all, I was just going to lower the rear end to match the loss in height with the newer forks, Ill do a lot more research into that yet.

And "stiffy" ( ha ha couldent help ) Do u have a build thread going?
    Last edited by kiwi kdx; 11-06-2012 at 07:07 PM.

Yeah mate Have a look in the Full Members rides - Suzuki and looking for the "GSX 1260 project, making it better, fuck yeah" . Have a look and see what you think. But I know what you're going to say............................................My GSX NEEDS your spokey dokey wheels

EVERYTHING!!!!!! Needs my spokey dokey wheels! I may put them under my pillow tonight.

Blog Entries
    if it was me id not leave it level and keep the back up a little looks tuffer and u get better steering angle but thats just me

Weekend Warrior
    A 1260 GPZ1100A based motor should see in excess of 130bhp easily. I'm just dynoing a Z1260 motor that I've just built for a guy, early type head with oversize valves, Cammotion cams dialled in on APE slotted sprockets, race ported head by dom Trickett, welded balnced crank, weight matched pistons, dry blocked with external oil feeds to the head, APE H/D case and cylinder studs and nuts, gated sump, manual camchain tensioner, twin oil coolers, Dyna 'S' ignition system, Mikuni RS38 flatslides, Harris works collection pipe with race baffle, plus various other bits.
    Initial results showed 124.50bhp @ 9000rpm, cams have since been dialled in differently and the carbs rejetted, and will be going back on the dyno once I Timesert a couple of exhaust studs that have pulled. It should be somewhere close to 130bhp, the limiting factor is the early type head which won't flow as much as the later J style head and certainly not as much as a GPZ1100A series head.
    1260cc requires a resleeve and upper crankcase mouths boring up for the larger sleeves. A cost effective source of sleeves for the 1260cc conversion is to use GSXR1052 oil cooled sleeves, you can pick a used block up for the cost of one aftermarket sleeve, and they bore up to 78mm fine and are within a couple of millimetres of the sleeve length of the originals, I've done a couple of 1260cc motors using the 1052 oil cooled sleeves with no problems.
    The 1260cc motors will run hot, and the dry blocked external oilfeeds help to ensure a cooler supply of oil to the head, the 1260 motor I've just done is using a 16 row 23mm cooler up front with a smaller 10 row half width cooler in series mounted at the back of the motor.

Starter motors can be an issue with the bigger motors, I run Honda CB900 starters which are more powerful than the original Kawasaki items, along with a YTZ14 battery with 230CCA, I also run a dedicated earh strap from the neg terminal on the battery to one of the mounting bolts of the starter motor. The Honda starter bolts straight in, but requires a little work to the end cap to allow the body to rotate 45 degrees to aoid the live terminal post arcing out on the sprocket cover, the end cap needs a little touch with a dremmel/die grinder to allow everything to rotate internally without the live brush strap arcing on one of the internal bosses. Make sure you use either the CB900 or CB1100 starters as the CB750 item is supposed to be less powerful.
    The YTZ14 battery is pretty much the same dimensions as the YTX9 but 5mm taller, and spins over the 1260cc motors with no problem at all whether cold or hot, and fire up is almost instantaneous, I run them on all the bigger motors I build along with the Honda starter motors, it gives the starter clutch rollers a much easier time of it as these are the weak point especially with a battery or starter motor that is weak.
    Last edited by Dynomutt; 12-06-2012 at 06:34 AM.

Hmmmm looks like i dont even need a Turbo then, well no one ever really NEEDS a Turbo....
    you sure do know ur engines huh dynomutt!!!

i have just had a chance to quicklly mock up my spare wheels to the forks and mount the calipers
    to check spoke clearance and fuk its tight! i hear an ever so tiny metallic scrape when i spin the wheel, but it should be fine
    as my main set have a slightly smalled diamiter spoke and i can take a smidgen off the caliper if i need to,
    but i rekon just removing the paint would be enough to clear it.

BY AN ANT'S DICK!!!!!

Last edited by kiwi kdx; 12-06-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Weekend Warrior
    I'm glad you've shown that as I was intending to use Ducati spoked wheels with GSXR K series radial forks, which are 207mm centres rather than 210mm centre of the Kawasaki forks. I may well use Slingshot 750 yokes and K series radial forks, the slingy yokes are 214mm centres, and with a 3.5mm spacer behind each disc that would give the clearance over the spokes, I will also check the thickness of my Brembo HPK radial calipers as I seem to think they are thinner than the Japanese OEM calipers.

i would go the slingy's for sure if they are 214mm! im using 05 Z1000 yokes and they are also 210mm, with Gixxer radials.
    it would be great to have that extra 2mm each side, but with my smaller diamiter spokes and if i shave a couple of mm
    off the calipers (I should have enough meat to play with) I rekon ill be alright.

what are ur thoughts on shaving the caliper a Li'l bit?

Weekend Warrior
    Shouldn't be a problem, I shaved the rear of the calipers when I ran a Slingy 3.5 inch wheel in RGV250 forks as the spokes were a little fatter and I needed a couple of mil' clearance.

Blog Entries
    i havent found the pics i was looking for but remembered the you tube stuff i did about machening the arm

hope this helps there is a old post about this somewhere

Blog Entries
    shit one wrong there this is the first bit where i took down the face

That's a pretty cool little tool ya got there..... I like it!

Blog Entries
    just a bit of pg bar and a battery drill but works well i think

yeah she works a treat all rite!

Bloke with a smaller stick BANDITROD's Avatar
    ya just couldnt help yourself hey jarrod nice profile pic lol ya teasing fucker

Glenn Eason drinks and smokes and lends his arse to other blokes

Blog Entries
    that he is lol

what....... i thought it verry fitting.

This build is gonna be rad! Will be keepin a close eye on this one mate!

Bloke with a smaller stick BANDITROD's Avatar
    it is mate im just jelous
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi kdx View Post
    what....... i thought it verry fitting.

Glenn Eason drinks and smokes and lends his arse to other blokes

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast