Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gsx1100 period 5 build

ASF Basic Full Member

gsx1100 period 5 build

Hey guys, as some of you would be aware I have a GSX1100 1982 that I want to use to build a period 5 racer, my question :

Does anyone know of a good combo of wheels and front forks that are considered an aesy fit and can be used in this class ?

I'll be using the standars rear swinger but getting it braced along with bracing the frame, I'll also get some good triples made for the front end to tighten this up a bit.

It's along term build that I want to do as show quality but need to start getting bits together.

Thanks in advance for the help

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Blog Entries
    What do the rules allow ?

My 1100ET has relaced wire's with 18" rim's
    using early GSXR size tyres, 160 rear I think ?

Works OK.

EDIT: Just had a look,
    110/80/18 front,
    160/60/18 rear.
    GSXR1100J size's I think ?
    Stock fork's, Stock swingarm arm.
    (although chains close to the tyre and should be spaced out a little)

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Rules are 3.4 inch front and 4.5 inch rear wheels. Have to kinda look something like period, and everyone has decided 3 spoke is OK.
    So, early GSXR ones are common, although the later SV650 ones look very similar and are slightly lighter. You can also use Kwakka rims, ZZR600 I think are right sizes. And Ducati, Monster/SS 600 use a 4 1/2.
    Forks are max 41mm I think, or 42? And, obviously, must be conventional. So, really, there are a thousand bikes to choose from with 39/40/41mm forks. I think Robbie Phillis is still using GSX items...? The Honda boys often use really old Goldwing forks, slightly beefier But, there are a heap of late 80's early 90's Jap sports bikes the right size I think.

Other thing to think long and hard about is front discs. Rules are fairly specific on rotors, so you can't just bolt on whatever comes with your new wheelset... If you don't wanna make up custom rotor centers check discs out before you buy the wheels!

Here are 88 GSXR750 rims on a CB1100R

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    What Russ said....... Zed14 or Chris41 would be ideal to answer this.
    Tony the GSX11 has a 140 or 150 from memory.

Blog Entries
    quote:Originally posted by devo

Tony the GSX11 has a 140 or 150 from memory.
    Mine's still wearing the same 160/60 it arrived with.
    I just went out to have a look....

RevHead
    i gotta a 1200 bandit front end if you need 1,cheap

quote:
    Mine's still wearing the same 160/60 it arrived with.
    I just went out to have a look....
    I blame getting old for that
    So how is the Ol Girl goin you still treat'n her good I hope ?[]

Blog Entries
    Not done any long run's on it, but get regular blast's around
    bayside and run's to the pub / cafe / bikeshops etc.

Out playing recently with a few mates on newish Ducati's, a ZX9R, Bandit.
    Tight local country roads. Straights were OK but I was f*cked though the twistys!
    Need to remember its got 30 years old brakes/forks/etc....

[8D]

ASF Premium Full Member

this is the bike Trevor Birrel and myself built It uses 41 mm honda 600 forks gsxr1000 front and rgv rear wheels we had to change the front rotors braced swing arm braced frame

quote:Originally posted by revheadpete

i gotta a 1200 bandit front end if you need 1,cheap
    They're 43mm unfortunately as they can handle very nicely with a cartridge kit

ASF Basic Full Member
    Thanks boy's, Hey Dale I love that GSX that Steve Martin has been riding. Any detailed info regading the build that you can help with would be greatly appreciated.

I intend to use the bike for a track day blast but want to build to a spec that could be used in the future if I ever wanted to go racing or a class got started down here in Tas. It's the building process that I get more fun out of, plus I've always wanted to do a really high end build and touch up some later model bikes on an older machine

gsxr750 or 1100 front will go in relatively easily. rgv and 250 bandit you have to change the bearings. 250 bandit only has one disc but the other side is pre drilled just covered you just have to thread. chris41 uses xs1100 discs and redrilled the mounting holes to suit. i used gt750 suzuki front discs got them machined for lightness and made my own billet centres to mount them. forks can only have preload no compression or rebound damping. however if you use cbr600 f4i they are 41 and long enough and thats the hard thing to find. and have no rebound damping but they do have compression damping but you can modify the adjusting screw to sit lower in the top of the forks and put an air fitting in there. this is cheating but a few people are getting away with it. gsx750f forks 92 on models are 41mm are long enough and work ok with new springs to suit and get some slabby preload adjusters and they screw in no prob giving you minor adjustment and legal. slabby triples are 41 and will mount straight into your gsx so no prob.you should be able to mount the rear wheel into your standard swingarm no problem or you could use a gsxr750 88 swingarm and put shock mounts on it then cut off the monoshock mounts then box in the front and call it homemade. hope some of this helps. front calipers we used early brembos off a bmw they are light and just get some good pads. make up some adapters to mount them. i used the front section of the gsxr swingarm for my over flow tank. most people with gsx use the cb1100r tailpiece you can get one from bob at homebush fibreglass.

I have a complete RF600 front end in mine even the stem fits unmodified. 41mm dia. might struggle to find one tho. I do still have my original complete front end '81 model no anti dive if you need any bits. Arse end is '88 gsxr750 complete wheel disc and carrier running 3/8 off set front sprocket brake torque arm mounts to original centre stand mount.

ASF Basic Full Member
    what do you guys think about using a cbr600 F2 front forks and the 88GSXR750 front wheel ??

ASF Basic Full Member
    cant believe it, just checked the 4 sale section and someone has a set of 88GSXR front forks and wheel, just missed out by the looks of it. Damn !!!!!

ASF Premium Full Member
    here are some pics of the bike just as a roller I got 2 sets of forks from the usa cbr600 f2 Ihave the mould for the seat section if you need one I,m currently working on a new bike which will be a kat body work is already made one piece seat unit one piece fairing with head light blanked off and making my own frame will put up some pics of it further down the track if you need any more info just let me know Dale

ASF Basic Full Member
    mate the mould would be awesome, any chance you could send me some decent resolution pics and a basic spec sheet to smorrisby@das.com.au

It's pretty hard to find info on what mods people have done out there. Doubt I'll ever race but love the look of these and Kats and would just love to have a trick custom built bike in the shed, plus its something different to have out on the track compared to everyone on late model stuff.

Anything that you are willing to assist with would be greatly appreciated.

Love that bike you have built, why the change ?

ASF Basic Full Member
    what are those front disc's that you run ? They dont look familiar. Also what model GSXR1000 has a 3.5" front wheel ?

Most Gixxer thousands have a 3.5 inch front, that's the standard rim to run a 120 section front tyre.

ASF Premium Full Member
    they knocked back those discs we had to run these

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast