Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Waltari's 1982 Suzuki 1157 Katana Project

Waltari's 1982 Suzuki 1157 Katana Project

Currently building a 82 Katana with a 2002 B12 1157cc motor. After searching for about a year, I turned up this rolling chassis that had been collecting dust down in a remote part of Arizona. Took almost two months to work out getting it delivered but I think the wait was worth it...seems like it'll be a good fit.

The previous owner had it set up for drag racing with a gsxr USD front end, a gsxr rear rim, and drag struts. The plan is to brace the frame, install the B12 motor, upgrade the suspension, and electrics and turn it into something that looks and performs like a yoshi factory race bike.
    Last edited by waltari; 05-11-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Here is the frame after stripping to down and removing most of the excess lugs/braces I was going to use. After inspecting the frame, I found about 6 welds with hairline cracks. Considering most of the welds I found on the 82 were either undercut or chicken shit, I decided to reweld most ofthe frame. So after spending some time jigging it up to ensure it wouldn't twist, I started in. Much happier with the end results.

Last edited by waltari; 05-11-2013 at 09:49 AM.

My new rear swingarm...ZRX1100 unit. A bit lighter than the stock arm and the tube matches the kat frame pretty well.

Last edited by waltari; 05-11-2013 at 09:50 AM.

After a bit of pivot tube milling it's fitted. The ZRX shocks are nice and beefy but a bit too long so I've got some NTC shocks coming from Japan.

Last edited by waltari; 05-11-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Here's the rear with the NTC shocks...much better. Also plan on using 5 spoke rims from an Aprilia Mille

Last edited by waltari; 05-11-2013 at 09:51 AM.

New to Streetfighters
    Bloody good effort mate,like it a lot. Check out oldskoolsuzuki for engine mount templates.
    Keep up the good work
    Stink

quote:Originally posted by stinkenbom

Bloody good effort mate,like it a lot. Check out oldskoolsuzuki for engine mount templates.
    Keep up the good work
    Stink
    Actually I used the mounts off oldskool and their shite. If you use the gsxr into gsx mounting dimensions, it places the engine too far back and the header won't clear the front downtube crossbrace. Also, the front and lower will bolt up but both rear are about 10mm off. Modified the ones I made using their dimensions and later found out about the header issue. I wanted to use a titanium header I have but now I'm back to extended a set of a stainless headers to make something fit. Might try fabbing a set of 2" extensions sp I can use the titanium header. If I had looked closer when grabbing the dimenions off oldskool, I would have noticed the gsxr/Kat they have pictured right above the diagrams has spacers between the header and the head...

Here's the photos of my frame back from the powder coater and installing the B12...another pisser with the Oldskool mounting dimensions, with the engine stilling centered, pod filters won't clear the side panels (at least not the K&Ns I have. Guess I'll have to switch to the smaller individual oval K&N's or just fab a custom airbox.

Last edited by waltari; 05-11-2013 at 09:54 AM.

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    that things looking hot waltari. I think i saw your in CA right. Im on the east coast. Do you plan on using the stock body like the yoshi bike?

One comment on your welds. I looks like to me that you need to slow down just a little bit. I use to rush it so i didnt heat soak pieces and warp them but you get that ovalised puddle. now i just do a little at a time then let it cool a bit.

i love those 5spoke rims on there
    what color is it going to be?

Yep...going to use the stock bodywork except I removed the stock filler on the tank and replaced it with a gsxr race non-locking cap. Not sure on the color...originally I was thinking stock katana silver with a few of the race decals here and there, but I'm not totally sold yet. You're right about the welds...If I had more time I would have spread it out over a could days but since time was limited I compromised...definitely still better than how they were [8D]

Here's the tank (still in progress)...

Last edited by waltari; 05-11-2013 at 09:58 AM.

ASF Depleted Uranium Member Large's Avatar
    Yummy

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    []

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    very cool. that tank looks like a lot of work but that filler is great. I didnt meant anything by it, the welds look like they will hold no problem. Some of the welds on these old 80s frames are crap, i look at my gpz and wonder how its still together sometimes.

have you thought about an accent ring on the lip of your rims? would look great with a red or yellow or white line.

quote:Originally posted by shift1313

very cool. that tank looks like a lot of work but that filler is great. I didnt meant anything by it, the welds look like they will hold no problem. Some of the welds on these old 80s frames are crap, i look at my gpz and wonder how its still together sometimes.

have you thought about an accent ring on the lip of your rims? would look great with a red or yellow or white line.
    The filler is actually just a skim coat over the ssteel ring I welded in. There were a few small dings in the sides of the tank so they're going bye bye. Gotta love block sanding

Now THAT is how you put an engine into a frame..

Nice work waltari - that ZRX swingarm looks like factory.

Fine piece of work there mate.
    I'd love a Katana like that.

fucking nice matty, once again, your screwing together a tough build mate, well done.

cheers.joe.

Nice to see this behavour[8D]The one thing i had problems with (2day) was when i dropped the tank on tha bastard tap hits the top of my carbs[}]so i fitted a sideways static exit with an inline cutoffpain in the arse[:X]keep going mate that will be a giggle to ride[8D]

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast