Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Chopper Underground Buildoff just commenced

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Heres the February Buildoff link. http://www.chopperunderground.com/fo...=0#entry135730

ASF Depleted Uranium Member Large's Avatar
    Good to see you're wearing your Taiwanese safety boots

Seriously though I got nfi about working steel, but I thought you heated and shaped it? Do you just bend it like they do at the exhaust shops?

ASF Premium Full Member fimpBIKES's Avatar
    u have to get steel pretty bloody well hot before it helps
    and cos there is a fair bit of it, the heat would get soaked up pretty quick

good news is that steel is pretty ductile, and that method is pretty good especially if u are using seamless tube
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    That tube bender is spiff! You have an asortment of dies for it Wayne? All custom made dies too I assume?

Looking real good, can't wait to see a big profile shot of it.

That Fat Tony is an evil man. Came over last night , forced me to drink copious amounts of Bourbon & Rum and made me play pool very baddly. The bender is a design by Blackjack of Blackjack Custom's in the UK. The design and other super useful things are at http://www.thefont.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bikes/index.htm. The design is easily adapted to several different sizes of tubing by changing the hub and guide to the appropiate size. This one uses a hub off an 85' Holden Barina. I hope the Berocca kicks in before work tonight...... Now ezcuse me,I feel another spew coming on

Well, that was the best part of me gone.While you can pre-heat tubing in a professional bender on this one it's not a good idea due to the close tolerances and the filler used to gap fill the die. In this type of bender if you pre-heat the tubing it softens the metal making it less strong while it is hot but easier to bend. When you then force it into the bender(remember metal expands when heated) and bend it around the heated metal losses some of it's ability to stay in a round shape. It then then flattens itself out against the hub face. Another negative is that when it distorts it wedges itself in sloid and has to be cut out ruining the tubing . I'm describing what actually happened when I did it rather than what might happen in a theoretical design. You can anneal the tubing and let it cool naturally which will make the tubing easier to bend. Personally, I use it stock for sereval reasons-Less time involved, the finished piece is stronger due to work harding , less jamming and it's safer to handle cold steel than hot steel. Having said that, there are occasions were I do use heat on the steel, When I want the welded join to flow better(the headstock is an area I do this carefully)and when I'm finished a frame I stress relieve the frame by heating the whole thing with it firmly clamped into the frame jig to stop the frame pieces retaining a memory and distorting in use.

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Thats abloody balltearer of an idea for a bender, might hava go at making one.

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Blog Entries
    Chop,

On the subject of frames, The UK custom bike mag (full of Harleys)
    "Back Street Hero's" Issue 261 Jan 06, has a 3 page write up
    on D.I.Y Build-Your-Own-Frame-Jig.
    If you get to see / beg / borrow a copy I would be interested
    to hear your opinion.
    Might see if I can get it copied or scanned.

Thanks,

Tony.J.

ASF Premium Full Member fimpBIKES's Avatar
    someone has to have a scanner??!!??!?!!?!
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

ASF Depleted Uranium Member Large's Avatar
    I've got a scanner. Don't got the mag though

That article was written by a Mr Bridges. "Mr Bridges" is an alias for a certain well known frame building mate of mine. I've got both but have agreed not to breach copyright on anyy article he's written previously.

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Blog Entries
    quote:Originally posted by chopaweeza

That article was written by a Mr Bridges. "Mr Bridges" is an alias for a certain well known frame building mate of mine. I've got both but have agreed not to breach copyright on anyy article he's written previously.
    Do I take that as a thumbs up "OK" then ?
    Seemed to make sense,
    Look forward to reading more of his.

Thanks,

Tony.J.

Weekend Warrior
    Bought the mag the other day .... havn't had a chance to read it properly yet but looks like it might have a few usefull tips in that article ..

Will probably incorporate some of those design features into my jig when it gets built ..... although I'll have a perimeter on my jig because I wanna use it for frame straightenin and repair more than building from scratch..... first on on it will be the Trumpy, as it's got a cracked frame

Weekend Warrior
    Bought the mag the other day .... havn't had a chance to read it properly yet but looks like it might have a few usefull tips in that article ..

Will probably incorporate some of those design features into my jig when it gets built ..... although I'll have a perimeter on my jig because I wanna use it for frame straightenin and repair more than building from scratch..... first on on it will be the Trumpy, as it's got a cracked frame

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567