Thread: Powder coating parts

Bloke with a smaller stick

Powder coating parts

I'm getting the R1 legs (USD)stripped for new springs and seals and wondered about getting them powder coated whilst they were apart.
    Clearance/powder thickness isn't an issue but I'm just wondering if there are any problems with possible warping ?

Also, the rocker box cover...would it take the heat beairng in mind its an air cooled motor and gets pretty warm...
    Jesus died for his own sins...NOT MINE !

ASF Premium Full Member
    Probably not the correct terminology but I'd have them ceramic coated rather than powder coated.

they can do some awesome coatings colours nowadays.

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    quote:Originally posted by sharky

I'm getting the R1 legs (USD)stripped for new springs and seals and wondered about getting them powder coated whilst they were apart.
    Clearance/powder thickness isn't an issue but I'm just wondering if there are any problems with possible warping ?

Also, the rocker box cover...would it take the heat beairng in mind its an air cooled motor and gets pretty warm...
    I powdered the rocker cover of my blade with no issues but it wouldn't get as hot as your beast.

Thought about that Hagaar but the legs have a few scratches and the ceramic coatings I have seen don't cover marks like that..

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Anodize them??
    But i guess this wont cover up your srcatches either.
    If you do anodize them,you'll be able to do a heap of little parts off your bike the same colour,for virtually the same cost as the legs alone.

mate itll scratch when putting them in !!

opps forgot as abouve id anodise them if you powder coat they will chip and after a while will look like shit

ASF Standard Full Member Redmohawk's Avatar
    powder coating is put in oven for about 15 min at 200 deg c at the most. Warping shouldnt be an issue.

Mmmmm...I might check out the anodising option....there's a place not far from home...My concern was that I have used lots of different types of Ali and the colour may vary......and of course wont hide any scratches or marks..

Weekend Warrior
    I@ve had crankcases and heads and barrels cam and side covers powdercoated without any problems, both on aircooled and liquid cooled. If it is done properly then there should be no issues. Just make sure that if there are any oilways in the cover to remove all the plugs etc and wash them out to make sure there is no blasting media left in there.
    As for the forks I wouldn't go with powdercoating on the uppers, the finish will not be a uniform thickness, and getting them in the yokes will be an issue. Better to get them either reanodised, or there are other chemical treatments out there. I've just had a set of Ohlins uppers done black, when sliding them into the yokes, use a small plastic wedge to spread the clamp area a little and make sure the clamping face of the yoke is clean and free of grit or burrs, and smear a little grease around the clamping faces before easing the fork into place, same goes for any clip ons or damper clamps.

Anodising is out..nowhere local and a couple of deep scratches in the legs.
    Spoken to the powder coater and he has gone into a lot of detail on their process for ali coating (they don't just blast and coat)...confident it will be tough.
    As I said before clearance isn't an issue due to the bikes design...
    Hopefully be taking a ute load of parts to them this week