Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How to build a deathtrap in only nine weeks..

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Fuck this thread is mint!

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Needs more dead bird in glass in the tank.

I cant beat dead bird in tank but I can dead moth in metal flake.. this is not the only bug that was harmed during this build..

Hahaha what out Azrael the RSPCA will be onto you
    Monster GSXR 7/11 RIP!
    Raven R1 Demon.
    K7 750 German Style (under construction)

With the fabrication complete-ish i pulled the bike down to start painting stuff and while i was at it i thought id weigh the various parts. Before i began the build i weighed all the various components and made a list which you can see to the right of the scales, i guessed the engine weight because i weighed it on its stand but it was lighter than i thought. I will when time permits get the bike on the scales complete and again once ive changed the wheels and got it track ready just to see the difference. My guess it with the twin disk brake set up and aprilia rims itll check in around 112 but we will see.
    The whole point of this build was to create a bike that is fast loose and untidy and then get somebody who knows what they are doing to make it better. My knowledge of two strokes stops at dirtbikes so i will be seek advice from some local guys on how to make this bike great from engine and tuning down to sprocket ratios. Its currently running 16-45 which is essentially suicide mode so yeah i should get on that.

Before paint i rubbed the frame back with wet and dry (i have no idea what grade-thanks beer) and it looked so damn nice, that last picture is not lens filtered it just came out that way after a good rub down.

I do for painting what helen keller did for beach volleyball, with that said i still do have a strong shed mantra when it comes to painting pretty much anything, you can have it in any colour you want as long as it black.
    At this point of the build the universe decided to treat me to some of the worst fucken weather perth has seen in october ever forcing me to run outside between showers to flapdisk the tankseat still high as fuck on paint fumes from using rattle cans in a confined space and force drying my freshly painted parts with an electric floor heater that nearly caught fire and tripped the rcd on the mains board 3 times.
    It also gave me an opportunity to look at the wiring harness which made no sense to me at all because beer + high as fuck on paint fumes.
    This is not how you should do anything ever

How many projects are tucked away in that shed mate. I see 5 bikes not including the one you currently building!
    Monster GSXR 7/11 RIP!
    Raven R1 Demon.

Quote Originally Posted by LKC73 View Post
    How many projects are tucked away in that shed mate. I see 5 bikes not including the one you currently building!
    Not sure to be honest, there's probly another 10-15 motors, there's another shed just full of bikes and then there's some next to the shed and the garage has 5 in it..

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Not sure to be honest, there's probly another 10-15 motors, there's another shed just full of bikes and then there's some next to the shed and the garage has 5 in it..
    WOW, I want some
    Monster GSXR 7/11 RIP!
    Raven R1 Demon.

Holy shit; 15+ bikes?!?

You have a problem I'd like to have!

This is i think the fourth time i have sat down to finish this and every time i've been interrupted and not got it done, this is of course, on account of my ongoing dispute with the the universe and my inability to properly manage my laps around the sun. So thankyou for your patience and welcome to my last day in hell as it were..

The final stage of building a bike is meant to be fun, exciting and something you do with friends and beer and take your time while you assemble your hard work whilst basking in the smug glow of your accomplishment. Yeah nah im really not that good. Instead on the final day i was still welding exhaust pipes, doing the final flap disking on the seat tank and constantly monitoring the clock back counting the remaining hours i had to complete my rolling shambles.

The previous day i had assembled the bike to a rolling chassis putting the motor in quite late that night but my list to get it ready to be ride-able was vast and it was going to be a sprint to get it done and the smart thing to do would have been to not have a small melt down but this is where my lovely wife stepped in, made me toasted sammiches so i had to stop, breathe, consume several beers and refocus. She is very cool and had she not done this i would have been a dribbling mess on the floor.

I started to look at the bike with a bit more warmth and pride instead of i want to burn you, you fucking hatewagon and then smashed jobs off one by one, slow is smooth, smooth is fast, beer is awesome. By 1030 with an hour and a half to go i was looking good and pretty happy with myself and then the universe in all of its blind hate decided my throttle cable needed to be in two pieces rather than the more practical one piece. Yay! If you are unaware of this please allow me to enlighten you, Rz cables have one cable that drops into a puller tube that pulls two carby cables and one oil delivery cable and they are rarer than good manners at a bukkake party. Despite this, i pushed on with one single hope in my head that a friend of mine might be able to help me out before i deliver the bike the following day.

The following pictures are how the bike looked as it came together on that night. I finished at 1145 and took pics and updated the instaballs and facecunt pages before smashing some red wine beer and sleeping pills and finally getting some sleep. I was proud of what id done in 11 weeks in total but only 9 weeks of actual build time. It was a bike, it looked how i thought it would and i did the entire fucken thing myself, untrained, booze addled and with entirely more confidence than actual skill.

not a smoker fan but mate you are on a winner there

So as previously mentioned, on the last day i snapped a throttle cable and they are rare as fuck. I went down to steves motorcycles as ive known steve for about 16 years and hes always looked after me. He got straight on the phone to the parts distributors and found there was only one in the country and it was in qld. Not bothered by this and knowing i needed one right then and there he told me to follow him out the back where he rolled out his own personal rz and pointed at his toolbox and said take mine, bring it back when your done. Fucking legend! So if you are reading this and you are a perth local and you need parts,tyres or whatever, give steves a shot, they are a family business and he has never let me down. They are also a rego compliance centre and understanding of modified bikes.

And here's what you didnt see.. three dead grinders, one very fucked argon reg, a tig torch melted by the heat of a thousand suns and then there's the lists. The endless and ever expanding daily lists mocking me with their incomplete status.
    There was not a flat surface in this shed that was not entirely covered in shit and it stayed like that until i summoned the energy to tidy it up.
    People often mentioned its hard to see things clearly on account of my shed looking a bit um ..busy. So, in the spirit of drinking in sheds, watching the ways of the spider and putting stuff in jars i created an interactive shed game for you, an easter egg hunt if you will. So if you are ever really horribly bored at work or trying to back out you morning constitutional feel free to browse nearly every post i made throughout this build and find the cheezel. Yes. Its hidden in nearly every pic so youll never know if you missed one or not. Yes its evil. No im not sorry.

This is how i bought the bike 9 or so years ago..

To now

Bloke with a smaller stick rod185651's Avatar
    Dude, thank you so much for sharing your build thread with us. Reading about your challenges and how you pushed through them makes my appreciation of your deathtrap build increase with each post. RESPECT

Quote Originally Posted by rod185651 View Post
    Dude, thank you so much for sharing your build thread with us. Reading about your challenges and how you pushed through them makes my appreciation of your deathtrap build increase with each post. RESPECT
    Thanks Rod, everybody here has problems, everyone here has other shit going on in their life, my life is no different. I have good days and bad days and i dont always get to choose where i focus my energy and like anybody else, that sucks. I cant even begin to explain how much of other peoples shit has been loaded on me this year but i keep plodding along, hitting stuff with hammers and trying to retain a sense moving forward to better times. I wont bore you with the details of what holds me back from finishing simple things like this thread, this shoulda been done a month ago but i literally have been overwhelmed with other peoples problems and i miss sleep so much.
    Ive made a list of what i need to do to this project to get it to the track, i will complete everything i can and then im going to place it in the hands of some professionals to get it to the track so it doesn't sit and atrophy in my shed. Its the responsible thing to do.
    I will update this as that happens.

Smile cunts, it could be worse!

Azrael, this is a great thread not only for your magic in building this machine but the fact that you are human and we all have our own problems. Its great to see you get this thing done with other things pressuring you. The time you have put into getting this tread up here is a testament to your persistence in getting things done. Thanks for the share, and much respect for you as a builder and a person. Hats off to you.
    Monster GSXR 7/11 RIP!
    Raven R1 Demon.

Blog Entries
    3 things I have ascertained from this thread:

1. Steve is a legend. People like him are hard to find these days, especially on the Gold Coast. Glad they still exist over there. I would definitely frequent his store if I was over there.

2. Cheezels are the sort of thing Large eats. Finding one in my shed on a normal day would be disappointing; finding one in hundreds of photos would be hell. If you actually did set up a Cheezel in every photo you took, then you are madder than a square spoon.

3. I've never had any doubt (since long before this build), but Tom; you're a complete champion mate. You get things done, lots of things; you put up with other people's shit which they selfishly land on you, and you prove that the human spirit can get you anywhere if you give it a chance. Thanks again for this thread mate.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Great thread you have my greatest respect for what you can do, long live the smoker.

Bloke with a smaller stick rod185651's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gix11 View Post
    3 things I have ascertained from this thread:

2. Cheezels are the sort of thing Large eats. Finding one in my shed on a normal day would be disappointing; finding one in hundreds of photos would be hell. If you actually did set up a Cheezel in every photo you took, then you are madder than a square spoon.
    Ha! That is fucken awesome......Really!? is there a cheezel in all these photos?!

Quote Originally Posted by rod185651 View Post
    Ha! That is fucken awesome......Really!? is there a cheezel in all these photos?!
    Yes there is in most but not all, thats why its so mean.. The irony of this is that when i cleaned up the shed i couldnt find the fucken cheezle..so the jokes on me

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast