Thread: ZXR750 1991 - any good??

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace

ZXR750 1991 - any good??

Looking at buying a project bike and looking at on of these (ZXR750 1991 model)

what do u guys recon?

I just need more power than my GPZ 600, and would like to buy a 900 or 1000, but cash flow is the problem!! What kind of bhp would these make? top speed? Handling??

Any info appreciated guys

cheers

If it's a '91 it'll be a J model, they're the forerunner & have a similar basic design to the mighty L model & engine parts are interchangeable with later models as well.
    The J had about 110 Factory rated HP from memory, the engine is a little bit top endy but not as bad as the L or the ZX7R. Top speed of well over 200.
    A 900 motor should even fit with minor mods.
    They handle reasonably well & are quite well balanced, they have a beautiful front end but the rear end is a bit harsh for the road - it needs some softening up.
    Parts are no problem for them either so if it's a good deal I say go for it.

how much do they usually go for?
    I found one without fairing ('streetfighter' some people say!!!) and a small dent in the tank and swinging arm

A mint, low km J would be worth $6K+, they're not exactly collectable yet but anything of that age in really good nick will fetch good $$, a dunger that's rideable & straight but needing cosmetic or mechanical work would still go for $2000 ish.
    Fairings are hard to get nowdays but that won't worry you will it?

Not really...

Not one for fairywings....