Thread: My GSXR11 - gotta start somewhere...

Weekend Warrior

My GSXR11 - gotta start somewhere...

Thought I should put us a pic of my bike as it currently stands (sits?). Nothing to write home about, but I am only a tune and a rego inspection away from getting back on the road on 2 wheels after a 7 year layoff. Can't wait!

Looking at swapping the rear end over to something a bit more modern soon, then maybe a new coat of paint then ride it into the ground. Maybe a nice exhaust if Santa is good to me this year.

Yes, I'll put some slightly less ghey mirrors on too [:I].

Weekend Warrior
    What year model is that?

Weekend Warrior
    1990 mate, but with a 1052cc engine.

RevHead
    nice one bloke put on a vtr1000 arse end like i did i had to modifiy my sub frame but it wasnt hard,cheers

Blog Entries
    My exact bike and colours (except it had the original 1127 in it).

Here's the full topic: http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...TOPIC_ID=11610

Shit, sorry mate, just noticed your not a full member, so I'll post a pic of stage 3 of it's evolution (USD front end, R1 tail, shit headlight, ealry model oil cooler ...i.e. Straight, polished wheels, 4 into 1, etc etc.):

Like the oil leak?

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks fellas. Guess I should just scare the moths out of the wallet and sign up...

(Gix11 - it's not a real bike without an oil leak or 2!)

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Gix's bike leaks because he is english

You so got a bit of work ahead of you bud.. have fun

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    quote:originally posted by ACTAngler :
    Looking at swapping the rear end over to something a bit more modern soon, then maybe a new coat of paint then ride it into the ground. Maybe a nice exhaust if Santa is good to me this year.
    Hi ACTAngler,
    If you upgrade your exhaust and want to offload the original drop me a line. I am restoring a stocky ..

Weekend Warrior
    quote:Originally posted by ads

quote:originally posted by ACTAngler :
    Hi ACTAngler,
    If you upgrade your exhaust and want to offload the original drop me a line. I am restoring a stocky ..

It's got a bit of gravel rash...

RevHead
    quote:Originally posted by Gix11

My exact bike and colours (except it had the original 1127 in it).

Here's the full topic: http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...TOPIC_ID=11610

Shit, sorry mate, just noticed your not a full member, so I'll post a pic of stage 3 of it's evolution (USD front end, R1 tail, shit headlight, ealry model oil cooler ...i.e. Straight, polished wheels, 4 into 1, etc etc.)

Like the oil leak?

:[]tha arse end is fab,is it r1

Blog Entries
    Sure is mate. '98 model before it got all squared off in '99. Subframe is home made.

RevHead
    quote:Originally posted by Gix11

Sure is mate. '98 model before it got all squared off in '99. Subframe is home made.
    []nice bit of handy work, wish i had a tig welder

Blog Entries
    I can't take credit for the subby, Supercharger Mark made that while I supplied the Rum. I just had to point etc. (plus it's MIG work as it's steel, so no Jenny Craig business here).

Weekend Warrior
    Well, got the bike registered during the week and fuck me if it isn't raining the first weekend I can go for a ride [V].

Anyway, a decision has been made on the tail unit, after I picked up a 2002-03 R1 subframe, ductail and seats from STM77 (thanks Stuart!). Colour is even pretty close to the original, but will probably be painted eventually.

Now I just need to work out how to fit the damn thing . Can anyone who has already done this conversion please let me know where to start? This is one I like the look of. Cheers.

Blog Entries
    Start by working out who is going to do the fabricating. If it's you then just get to it. Strip the tail plastics off and get the grinder out! You're going to grind the original welded subframe off, then smooth up the frame where it used to be, then you need to line up the new subframe where it will sit and work out where to weld the new tabs to accept the new subframe. This is where yu work out how long you want the tail and chop the bottom bars down or extend the top, it's your choice.

Weekend Warrior
    You make it sound so simple, Si! I will do the cutting and fitting up myself, but then will have to get someone to do the welding. I'll get it as far forward as I can, for sure, without cutting the top subframe rail. Just nervous about making the first cut [:I].

I guess now is coming up to the perfect time to do it though. Can't see myself riding around Canberra much in June-July; it's already single figure temperatures in the mornings [xx(][V]

Anyone know what swingarm is on the black and silver bike above?

Bloke with a smaller stick BANDITROD's Avatar
    looks lika a JMC or a metmatchex swingarm to me with ecentric adjusters

Glenn Eason drinks and smokes and lends his arse to other blokes

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    arms a JMC m8

Blog Entries
    quote:Originally posted by ACTAngler

Just nervous about making the first cut [:I].
    That's easy, just leave your bike at Supercharger's place and while you go to the bottle shop with Supercharger, his mate Rob comes out of nowhere and attacks it with an industrial concrete cutter with a grinding wheel attached! That's what happened to me anyway. I came back to "look what I did!" ....Good times...