Thread: Shit worth knowing

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries

Shit worth knowing

There are quite a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies.

Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival.

Check out what you can do with it.

FIRST

Emergency

The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112.

If you find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile; network and there is an emergency,
    > dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you,
    > This number 112 can be dialled even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

SECOND

Have you locked your keys in the car?
    Does your car have remote keyless entry? This information may come in handy someday.

-If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, just call someone at home and ask them to get your spare key and their mobile phone.
    -Then hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at home press the unlock button on the spare key, holding it near their mobile phone.
    - Your car will unlock and saves someone from having to drive your keys to you.
    - Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away but if you can reach someone who has the other 'remote' key or your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

It works well! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a mobile phone!'

THIRD
    Hidden Battery Power

> Imagine your mobile battery is very low. To reactivate, press the keys *3370# and your mobile will restart with this reserve and will show a 50% increase in battery.
    This reserve will get charged when you next recharge your mobile.

FOURTH

How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?

> To check your mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone:

* # 0 6 #
    > A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. If your phone gets stolen you can phone your service provider and give them this code.
    They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card your phone will be totally useless.
    > You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use it or sell it either.

If everybody did this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

ATM - PIN Number Reversal - Good to Know

If you should ever be forced by a robber to withdraw money from an ATM
    machine, you can notify the police by entering your PIN # in reverse .
    - For example, if your pin number is 1234 then you would put in 4321.

> The ATM system recognizes that your PIN number is backwards from the ATM
    card you placed in the machine.
    > The machine will still give you the money you requested but, unknown to the robber, the police will beimmediately dispatched to the location.
    > This information was recently broadcast on CTV by Crime Stoppers however it
    is seldom used because people just don't know about it.

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    quote:
    Have you locked your keys in the car?
    Does your car have remote keyless entry? This information may come in handy someday.

-If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, just call someone at home and ask them to get your spare key and their mobile phone.
    -Then hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at home press the unlock button on the spare key, holding it near their mobile phone.
    - Your car will unlock and saves someone from having to drive your keys to you.
    - Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away but if you can reach someone who has the other 'remote' key or your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

It works well! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a mobile phone!'
    Oh wow I didn't know a mobile handset had the ability to pick up & transmit 433Khz radio waves.

Weekend Warrior
    sigh.

put one truth in (112) then 3 things that are complete bs.

this will get allot of people

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    quote:Originally posted by slickncghia

sigh.

put one truth in (112) then 3 things that are complete bs.

this will get allot of people
    Two truths.

The * # 0 6 # is correct and when entered will display your handsets serial number.
    To unlock a handset after your plan has expired you are required to quote this number so I do not doubt that they have the ability to disable it upon request...

And agreed. The remote door lock and ATM stuff is utter rubbish.

Weekend Warrior
    well i didnt know but i wasnt going to dignify it with an attempt.

still. 50% aint a pass in most things in life

I used the 112 number a couple of years ago when some knob took his mates unregistered 2001 or 2002 gsxr750 for a lap without his mate knowing and snapped it in half when he hit a pole at about 150+...

I agree with ya on this Cruise, we tried this at work using 3 different cars and 3 different mobiles, and none of them worked. Has anyone tryed the ATM one though?? Interesting....

quote:Originally posted by Mishdog20

I agree with ya on this Cruise, we tried this at work using 3 different cars and 3 different mobiles, and none of them worked. Has anyone tryed the ATM one though?? Interesting....
    http://www.bankers.asn.au/default.aspx?ArticleID=1109

quote:Originally posted by CBRRRT

FOURTH

How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?

> To check your mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone:

* # 0 6 #
    > A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. If your phone gets stolen you can phone your service provider and give them this code.
    They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card your phone will be totally useless.
    > You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use it or sell it either.

The number you are reffering to is called the 'IMEI' number and is unique to all phones. If you are on contract you do not need to keep track of he number. Just call up your service provider and they will blacklist the phone as u said. However there is still a way around this, depending on how dodgy the technician u find is. They can reset thr IMEI number from the software and give it a new number, therefore removing it from the blacklist.

Worked for Vodafone for a few years, so u kind of have to know these things

This one is totally true, I find myself having to do it often.

If you spin around really fast backwards you will go back in time and be able to fix any fuck ups.

You can't lick your own elbow

quote:Originally posted by Jup

You can't lick your own elbow
    You can, if you have a massive shoulder dislocation or have your arm removed.

Weekend Warrior
    quote:Originally posted by bladehunter

This one is totally true, I find myself having to do it often.

If you spin around really fast backwards you will go back in time and be able to fix any fuck ups.
    is backwards to the left or the right, ive got a few fuck ups to fix and can't get it to work!!!!

quote:Originally posted by Elapid

I used the 112 number a couple of years ago when some knob took his mates unregistered 2001 or 2002 gsxr750 for a lap without his mate knowing and snapped it in half when he hit a pole at about 150+...
    that's what I love about this site the attention to detail most people would just know that it was a bike not that it was a k1 or k2 gixxer LOL fuck I love it