Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ride to see the Lone Pine tree at Merrysville

Weekend Warrior

Ride to see the Lone Pine tree at Merrysville

Hi All,
    As the heading says I'm going to Merrysville on the 17 Jan 09. To see the Lone Pine tree, that is to be planted at the Anzac Parade.
    The Tree is being looked after by the local Nursery, and after speaking to them are very happy for us to see the tree.
    Plan meet Cranbourne etc.... then go up, probably early so we can get a good run through and not see Mr Plod.
    Hope you can come along.

Cheers
    Darryl

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Not sure if I will have the day off yet but sounds like it could be a good day, what is the story behind the tree? Is it grown from the original lone pine? There was one planted in Belgrave a few years ago, not sure if it's still there, must have a look.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Sounds good, ill be up for a ride, and spend a few dollars up marysville.

Weekend Warrior
    I'll get the story for you.
    Don't think that it is from the same tree just the species.

ASF Premium Full Member
    yep sounds like a plan i just need the oil in my bike to stay on the inside

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    I'll see how I'm going closer to the date if that's ok? Where in Crannie do you want to meet?

Weekend Warrior
    OK here is some of the history of the Lone Pine.

The original "Lone Pine" was a sole survivor of a group of trees that had been cut down by Turkish soldiers who had used the timber and branches to cover their trenches during the battle. The tree was obliterated as a result of the battle; however, pine cones that had remained attached to the cut branches over the trenches were retrieved by two Australian soldiers and brought home to Australia. The resultant seedlings were found to be Turkish Pines, sometimes regarded as a subspecies of Pinus halepensis (Aleppo Pine), but usually classified as a distinct species, Pinus brutia

Private Thomas Keith McDowell, an Australian soldier of the 23rd battalion who fought at Gallipoli, brought a pine cone from the battle site home to Australia. Many years later seeds from the cone were planted by his wife's aunt Emma Gray of Grassmere, near Warrnambool, Victoria and five seedlings emerged, with four surviving. These seedlings were planted in four different locations in Victoria: Wattle Park (May 8, 1933), the Shrine of Remembrance (June 11, 1933), the Soldiers Memorial Hall at The Sisters near Terang (June 18, 1933) and Warrnambool Botanic Gardens (January 23, 1934).

The tree at the Shrine Reserve was planted near the north-east corner of the building by Lieutenant-General Sir Stanley Savige, founder of Melbourne Legacy at a formal ceremony.

Another soldier, Lance Corporal Benjamin Smith from the 3rd Battalion, also retrieved a cone from the battle site and sent it back to his mother (Mrs McMullen) in Australia, who had lost another son at the battle. Seeds from the cone were planted by Mrs McMullen in 1928, from which two seedlings were raised. One was presented to her home town of Inverell. New South Wales and the other was forwarded to Canberra where it was planted by Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester at the Australian War Memorial (AWM) in October 1934. The AWM lone pine lost two of its large lower limbs from strong winds preceding a thunderstorm on 27 December 2008, although tree surgeons were brought in to save the historic tree.

Both Melbourne Legacy and the Yarralumla Nursery in Canberra have raised and grown seedlings over a number of years, sourced from the tree at the Shrine of Remembrance and the Australian War Memorial respectively, which they have presented to schools as well as ex-service and other organisations throughout Australia.

According to a plaque in Sorrento Park in Sorrento, Victoria an Aleppo pine in the park is another surviving tree grown from the seed of the Lone Pine.

In Anzac Grove in Corrimal, there is a tree and a plaque which reads "This tree was raised from a seed of the original Lone Pine by Mr Stan Davis of the Illawarra Diggers Rest Home and was given to Corrimal RSL whose member's planted it in this spot on Anzac Day 25-04-1994 Lest We forget"

The Aleppo Pine (Pinus halepensis) in the Memorial's grounds was planted by HRH The Duke of Gloucester on 24 October 1934. It bears the following inscription:

After the capture of the Lone Pine ridge in Gallipoli (6 August 1915), an Australian Soldier who had taken part in the attack, in which his brother was killed, found a cone on one of the branches used by the Turks as overhead cover for their trenches, and sent it to his mother. From seed shed by it she raised the tree, which she presented to be planted in the War Memorial grounds in honour of her own and others' sons who fell at Lone Pine.

Hope this helps.

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    There is a roumor, There is a road between the kinglake turnoff on the melba hwy and the town of Healsville, that's really straight and really tame and totally boring to ride. Can anyone confirm this?

Weekend Warrior
    Plan, meet in Cranbourne Maccas,
    ride up through the spur and further if we want to.
    We can see the tree at 2pm.

Count me in =)

ASF Premium Full Member
    Ok bikes sorted so i will see you at Cranny

hey loads...What time in Cranbourne?

Weekend Warrior
    Not sure,
    What ever time suits, bout 7-8 ish.
    we have a bit of time to kill before we can see the tree.
    was thinking of doing the spur, then back to Warbaton, noojee for lunch (early) then back to Merrysville to meet the people and see the tree.
    What do you think??
    Open for any sugestions, just need to be at the bakery by 2pm.

well for me, I'll meet up with you guys halfway as it doesn't make sense for me to ride to Crannie then back to Marysville as im inner city. Could meet up in Lillydale or somewhere like that and take off from there around 11ish. I work out the route best to meet, then let yaz know =]

ASF Basic Full Member
    My bike goes, so im there.

Trevs bike is still sick, he will be babysitting.
    I taste so good you'l want the recipe.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Im with you Vfighter meet up at maccas lilydale if thats good for you.

Sounds like a plan! Maccas Lillydale it is - about 11am - Will meet up with the rest from Cranny eh?

weather dependent of course =)

Weekend Warrior
    I'll be there rain hail or shine.

Weekend Warrior
    I be in on meeting up at lilydale.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast