Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To streetfighter or not...

Bloke with a smaller stick 03gixxerpilot's Avatar
    G'day mate welcome aboard
    Born again Juvenile delinquent

Blog Entries
    Yea, Welcome aboard mate. A everyone said, the Twin rads are the stumbler for most VFR fighter efforts.

Weekend Warrior
    quote:Yea, Welcome aboard mate. A everyone said, the Twin rads are the stumbler for most VFR fighter efforts.
    Cheers Gix11, you might be thinking of '98+ VFR800s (5th Gen, and 6th Gen from 2002+) regarding the twin rads; they have them on each side, like VTR1000F (Firestorm) does. Mine is basically the same location as a CBR900RR, but a bit smaller vertically.

I actually have an idea for a hidden cooling system based on twin MX rads and my hi-flow EWP electric waterpump... may be feasible from a waterflow perspective as the EWP really shifts the water, just depends on whether it is physically possible.

ASF Premium Full Member fimpBIKES's Avatar
    oooh, i like it!

put a minimal headlight and a rad and go do some skids
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

Weekend Warrior
    welcome Phantom ,i think a fighter should look like a fighter,as something that doesn't look prissy,and will
    stand out as having a look that people like no matter what's done ,so don't follow trends
    there are people that don't like plastic but as one pommie streetfighter bike the owner said iff you want to kill 30kph off the top speed and sit upright with the wind force of 260+kmph thats your choice

Weekend Warrior
    That's the thing, Old GSXRR - I like going those sorts of speeds

But I stuck my head in here to see what the SF community thought, and so far it's positive - so I'll give it a good shake and we'll see how it ends up. I work slow, kids and day job take a lot of my time, but I'll keep the pics flowing as we go along (I'll start a "build" topic as soon as I sort out my full membership donation).

A pic from back in her glory days:

let me put it this way

as above (standard) equals shit, i wouldnt piss on it if it was on fire (ok maybe on the swingarm so i could sell it later)

as it stands now in the red, its a proper bike and i think with a few details it would be spot on
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

Weekend Warrior
    She was a factory black job, in case anyone is wondering - the red tank in my first pic is off my wife's VFR - everything else was red so I thought I'd tie it all in for a few pics. No idea yet what colour it'll end up being!! I've got my own gear for painting so I might just try a few different colours, It's not like there's a lot to paint on a streetfighter.

Weekend Warrior
    quote:let me put it this way
    LOL! So in other words her glory days are still to come? I like it here already. OK fimpBIKES you're on, I hadn't ordered my HEL front brakelines yet so I'll sort out some suitable risers and bar first to measure up for the longer lines.

If anyone is looking for VFR swingarms, the 4th Gen is the one to go for (1994-1997) for two reasons:

1. The lower shock linkage is different to the 3rd Gen (1990-1993), and is more suitable for most bikes

2. You can do a simple mod at the caliper bracket to allow the eccentric to rotate a full 360 degrees (basically you countersink the two bolts that hold the caliper bracket to the mount that fits on the eccentric hub) and this allows you to move the axle from 12 o'clock-ish in the eccentric to 6 o'clock-ish (give or take an hour or two to allow for chain tension).

What's good about this? Well it moves the swingarm up relative to the axle, and as the swinger goes up, so does the whole back of the bike... you gain 35-40mm of rise at the tail with this mod.

It's not possible with the later VFR800 swingarm; because the brake caliper is at the bottom of the hub, the axle is already set at 6 o'clock.

Can post pics showing how this mod works if anyone is interested.

Caveat - you need to run a 45T (or larger) rear sprocket on a VFR to avoid having the top run of the chain running against the swingarm. Not sure how this would be on non-VFRs due to the sprocket/pivot point relationship maybe being different (although knowing the way Honda works, the dimensions are probably identical for Blades and VTRs).

Hiya

Clips ons are Cafe Racer style are they? Um... didn't the Streetfighter derive from the Cafe Racer days? Yeah they did. It doesn't have to have renthals on to be a fighter, you need twin spots too and anodised bolts (yes, Im taking the piss).

Rules? Rules? You telling me that the hooligan generation of bikers who build these filthy bikes stick to rules? Bollox do they! Granted, stripping plastics and going naked does NOT mean it's a fighter and it's a Marmite v's Vegemite thing - they aren't the same but people think they are (til they are educated that Marmite is fact wayyyy better)

Anyways, reckon you could have fun with this bike. Do what you want, there's loads of advice and people who'll help you along the way. Always thought VFR's were ugly armchairs... never seen one naked, look quite funky.

Welcome to the site

clip-ons are fine by me
    have some sitting there myself......
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Hey Phantom - Welcome mate. Nice to see another VFR fighter. Still progressing on mine, but its coming along sweet.

Good luck with the build - we could prob swap ideas and tips =D

ASF Basic Full Member
    Welcome aboard Phantom,
    Are you the same "Phantom" from usa vfr forum? If so thats great!!!

Vfighter, if you need to know ANYTHING about any model of vfr then the Phantom knows! He did a great write up on front end swaps for all of the vfr gens

Weekend Warrior
    Yeah RC that's me [8D]

Don't tell those guys though - I haven't posted any pics of the bike there

VFighteR, saw you post on OzVFR... a mate and I started that site nearly ten years back as a Yahoo mailing list, has a good core of people now. You will have to get your fighter along to one of their rides sometime.

Any questions you have on VFR stuff, just fire away

Bloke with a smaller stick MONO's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Welcome will be keeping a close eye on this thread keep us posted.

Weekend Warrior
    Haven't made much progress over Xmas/holiday period, but will get back onto it in the next week - when I do I'll start a build topic.

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    quote:Originally posted by The Phantom

Yeah RC that's me [8D]

Don't tell those guys though - I haven't posted any pics of the bike there

VFighteR, saw you post on OzVFR... a mate and I started that site nearly ten years back as a Yahoo mailing list, has a good core of people now. You will have to get your fighter along to one of their rides sometime.

Any questions you have on VFR stuff, just fire away
    sounds good mate - will have to log back in and check out some of the dates

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks Si... I'm back, fuckers!

The bike has made only minor progress since this topic... but that is about to change. And I have a few kickarse modifications on it now, courtesy of SebSpeed... if you need to ask who that is, fuck off back to netrider, you're not worthy

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Come on then, where are the pics??

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom View Post
    fuck off back to netrider, you're not worthy
    Is that where you have been for the last four years whilst the rest of us were here building bikes?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast