Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To streetfighter or not...

Bloke with a smaller stick rod185651's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom View Post
    Thanks Si... I'm back, fuckers!

... if you need to ask who that is, fuck off back to netrider, you're not worthy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruisecontrol View Post
    Is that where you have been for the last four years whilst the rest of us were here building bikes?
    Ha! Snap!

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruisecontrol View Post
    Is that where you have been for the last four years whilst the rest of us were here building bikes?
    Pwned

No, I looked at netrider ten or more years ago and it wasn't for me... pics on the way soon.

Weekend Warrior
    I was making lists of detail for this build and thought why not put it here, it might serve as motivation for the build and god knows I need that.

So here's the mods so far, at least as far as I can remember. Not all of these have gone beyond 'concept/fantasy' stage, but the ones that haven't aren't pipe dreams, a lot of though has gone into this. It's ten years since I started the build, after all

And if it's mentioned, it means it's here in the workshop, except for the last category of potential changes.

Engine/gearbox/electrical

• Stock internals (for now - got a genuine Vesrah full gasket kit stored for when it goes out to 840cc)
    • Stock carbs but with jetting fettled by Paul Schofield, who was an Aussie HRC race mech in the Corser days
    • Stock airbox with K&N filter and snorkel ditched
    • Indigo stainless steel full header system (new, never used)
    • Rear valve cover (with the big ugly EGR box) replaced by a front valve cover, plumbed to airbox for ventilation
    • Entire external cooling system replaced with EWP80/digital controller and custom plumbing - custom rad on the way
    • Ford Windsor 302 V8 block welch plug to block waterpump shaft hole (perfect fit)
    • Factory 'EVO Star' shift kit
    • Barnett heavy duty kevlar clutch with HD springs
    • Sebspeed custom clutch cover with clear lexan window
    • Coil on plug set-up from GSX-R (work in progress)
    • CBR600RR reg/reg (the VFR one is a failure waiting to happen)
    • 2003 CBR600F4i dash (new, never used)
    • Shorai lithium battery to suit CBR929
    • CBR1000RR in-tank fuel pump, to ditch the heavy external pump that I'm struggling to hide...

Frame/subframes

• Modified frame (for cosmetic and weight reasons - centrestand mounts removed, extraneous holes welded up etc.)
    • 2002 R6 aluminium rear subframe
    • 2003 CBR600F4i front subframe

Suspension - front (inc steering, brakes, wheel, controls)

• CBR929 upper and lower tripleclamps
    • 2005 ZX-10R fork uppers
    • 2004 R1 fork stantions (rechromed by RAD)
    • Uppers, lowers and internals modified and fitted together by Zeno
    • 2004 R1 radial calipers
    • 2004 R1 radial brake master cylinder assembly
    • 2004 front wheel
    • 2004 front rotors
    • HEL braided brakelines
    • VTR1000F clutch master cylinder assembly
    • EPRO 4-piece billet clip-ons
    • H'arris "VFR"-branded grips
    • Pazzo shorty levers
    • Beringer fluid pots
    • Sebspeed titanium rotor spacers and axle spacers (bling!)

Suspension - rear (including drivetrain, brakes, wheel)

• Ohlins HO802 (remote res) shock - from a 1998 CBR900RR, rebuilt and sprung for 85kg rider
    • Stock swingarm
    • Triumph 2002 Sprint ST hub/eccentric
    • Marchesini forged 10Y 848 rear wheel
    • Chain Gang 45T CNC-lightened steel rear sprocket
    • OEM 16T front sprocket
    • RK "HFO" 530 chain
    • Custom braided clutch line

Bodywork * (I am listing both the SF components and the full-faired components here, as I intend to switch between the two as the mood takes me)

• Original tank, cosmetically modified
    • 2002 R6 rear bodywork and seat
    • 2002 R6 OEM Yamaha pillion seat cowl (try to find one of those! took me three years of searching)
    • 'Clear Alternatives' smoked LED tail light with integrated indicators
    • 2000 CBR600F upper front fairing
    • 2000 CBR600 headlight housing modified with dual 2.5" Bi-Xenon HID headlights
    • SuperBlackbird mirrors with clear indicators
    • SuperBlackbird right side fairing
    • SuperBlackbird left side fairing integrated with CBR600F left side fairing
    • 2004 R1 front guard
    • MV Agusta F4 headlight (for SF duties)

Not yet sorted, and potential changes to the build

• Rearsets (CBR900RR up to 1998 are a bolt on, as are 2010-12 R1)
    • Tank - may switch to a 3rd Gen VFR750 tank which is less bulbous than the 4th Gen tank
    • Swingarm - MV Agusta F4 swingarm isn't hard to fit to a VFR frame and the hub/eccentric diameter is the same
    • Front wheel - I'd like a 10Y Marchesini to match the rear...
    • Front rotors - Galfer wave rotors are a maybe
    • Airbox - might go with a Durbahn CF RC30 airbox but that may also require RC30 Keihlins Save it for when we go to 840cc, we'll be looking for 130-140rwhp at that point

Upshot of all this should be 105rwhp and 185kg wet - and maybe 5-10kg less in SF guise. So she should get along alright.

Just don't expect to see it on the road anytime soon... I am probably the slowest bike builder on this and any other planet.
    Last edited by The Phantom; 12-03-2014 at 06:31 PM.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    185 wet , wow mine is 205 wet , let me know where ya hide the 20 kg , nice list of goodies looking forward to seeing the tank carb and airbox mods

Weekend Warrior
    Hyo, a surprising amount of it is in the factory header system, and the Marchesini rear wheel is insanely light.

And you'd be surprised what the cooling system might weigh, I'll have figures on that soon but just handling the bits tells me the story.I've ditched the stainless steel pipe that goes from the OEM pump up around the stator housing and into the vee, because my EWP80 sits next to the vee - the EWP80 weighs about the same as the factory waterpump, but now there is no parasitic power loss (generally estimated to be worth 1-2hp). I've also ditched the thermostat and its entire housing, as the EWP digital controller means there's no need for a thermostat.

Shorai lithium battery... all the little things add up... cut the alloy tangs that the centrestand mounts to, loses 200-400g? I have the lugs I cut off, I should weigh them

I'm basing my estimate on precedents set on VFRD by the serious performance modders. I might be out, but it won't be by much.

Theres a dude in Europe who runs a 4th Gen VFR750 that is modified to the hilt as his track bike, and he claims to be down to 145kg... I actually believe it, but this guy has spent stupid money to get to that weight. He hoses ZX-10Rs on the Nurburgring with it, though.

And my buddy Kev who lives on the Isle of Man runs this thing in the regular races there - they don't only race during TT week - his VFR is around the weight I am looking at:

Last edited by The Phantom; 12-03-2014 at 07:30 PM.

Weekend Warrior
    OK things took a different turn for me following my last post, I have split with Mrs Phantom and moved into my own place. Not great (kids involved) but not entirely terrible either. My new place has a workshop big enough for three cars under it

(I say three cars to give the sense of space but it will only have one car - my 1969 Kombi project - plus two bikes, workbench, shelving, a bunch of bicycles and eventually a pool table)

So once I'm sorted with getting all my crap into it, I can get serious about sorting my bikes out.

Silver lining in every cloud - while this was going down I lucked into a deal on a Marchesini front rim to match my rear rim, from the US - set up for a 2006 R6 so will go straight into my 2004 R1 front end. $250 plus postage, and the dude selling is a shipping manager so he is finding me a killer deal for freight. Win!

Weekend Warrior

Blog Entries
    Shit yea! That's coming together nicely.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    I kinda like the lines on that Phantom.

Oh and the time frame is similar to my k6 build.....

I need to stop fucking around with other bikes and just get one done....

Weekend Warrior
    Things are underway again and this time there will be some momentum. Well, famous last words and all that, but I'm finally in the right place to kick this thing along (and am motivated by recent posts by you guys so keep it coming!!!)

Having fitted the 10Y rear Marchesini, my OCD has been killing me every time I looked at the 5-spoke 2004 R1 front wheel - as beautiful and light as it is, it has to go. But try finding a Marchesini 10Y front for a Yamaha R1/R6 front end at a decent price... I nearly got there once with a dude in the US but he dogged me after saying he'd hold it till I had the money.

Anyway, I have found a substitute and it is a ripper. Perfect for the task.I'll share once I've secured the wheel, but it will be a go-to in future for this swap!!!

Blog Entries
    Sweet. Keep the photos coming.

Looks great Phantom, look forward to your updates on this build again.
    Monster GSXR 7/11 RIP!
    Raven R1 Demon.
    K7 750 German Style (under construction)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123