Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Jim's CB900 "start of my build"

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    unfortunately i appear to have blown a head gasket
    i think this due to the fact my left boot is now totally waterproof and i now own a very heavy 450cc twin ill find out on sun when i test her

..right then heads off the old engine and its ..well bad really No 3 piston looks like its been dipped in acid[V] and the head where the gasket meets is worn too but strangley enough the other 3 pots look ok
    the exhaust cams knackered and so's the journals,[V]
    Bought another engine for 400 sovs which apprently has a good top end.... got that on sun last ... when it arrived it looked like some gorilla hd taken the stator off with a crowbar !! [big digs out of the cases ]
    i did a compression test on it [after bolting it down to a frame i made] and i got 25 psi across the board not really inspiring considering the factory reckons 170 psi is the norm but i wont know the score till i get the top end down.
    could be just gummed up rings ..or more bent valves..
    to be fair the bloke from the wreckers ,whos pretty decent, said that if the heads junk he ll sort me something else out
    ..im starting to think along the lines of an engine swop ..maybe a cbx 750 lump , or something from an aircooled kwak or suzi
    id welcome any[ sensible] suggestions

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Hey Jim, how about Ozkat's gsxr motor?

good call dave ,id love it but cant afford it right now and i dont think the baldy whores frame would stomach it plus i really want to stick with a air cooled motor if at all possible but it would make the old girl fly

dave im gonna finish this engine run it till it blows up and fit a gsxr 750 lump in her ..so if theres anyone who ,in the next 6 months or so will be getting shot of a good running gixer 750 lump plus carbs plus rad plus anything else ill need to get it running ill be interested

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Sounds good Jim, hows the enthusiasm going with the Triumph standing there looking at you? lolHave you located the parts that you need?
    I was looking on this site http://cb1100f.net/ there is a post on fitting a turbo to one and apparently they recon that even Std the rods are week as and the mill is pretty weak.If you dont have the parts already it might be a good idea to just score the Gixxer motor straight off.
    Have a look at this thread:-
    http://cb1100f.net/modules.php?name=...wtopic&t=30423

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Portsmouth costa del south coast, England
    or a gixxer 1100 lump in the baldy whore when the honda engine shits it's self but you do realise that sod law dictates that the baldy engine will defy all reasoning and keep going even with total neglet just like the old cd175's they were bastards to kill

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Hey Franky, I am looking into buying a damaged bandit with the view of banging the motor into my slingy (750), just trying to work out the numbers, what would you be prepared to pay for a complete 750?

dunno gibbo[ christ another bike in the garage ] depends on the finances as always... why what u have in mind ?
    if ur on about going dutch on a bike and sharing the parts i may well be into that

Alf u know uve just jinxed this now if it dont blow up this lump... how am i going convince the treasurer that [yet] another engine is neccesary ?

Dave if i turboed this the first thing over the line would be me closely followed by several used Honda parts ive got 2 engines in bits on the bench i know these engines were pretty grenade-like when they were new ..now the youngest ones are 27 years old so im gonna have to find an engine that will give me
    1.. 100BHP stock
    2 fit in the frame without looking too wierd
    3 be common enuf to be able to get bits for
    4 and reliable
    ive started to build up one good engine out of the bits [various] in fact just tonight i started lappin the exhaust valves in
    and i went for a blat on the trumpy to see Dazz earlier im on call from tommorrow so ill be stuck indoors all weekend so i should get the 900s engine mostly back together by sunday

Bloke with a smaller stick
    Once I find a 1200 motor mate my 11 will be available..You've got first call on it.
    Jesus died for his own sins...NOT MINE !

nice one russ ill be into that as my first choice [keeps it old skool lookin]....ur on mate

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910