Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My first road bike, what should I get?

Pizza delivery boy/girl

Question My first road bike, what should I get?

So I am looking at bikes currently and have narrowed it down to the CFMoto 650nk and the Hyosung GT650 naked. LAMS trim for me unfortunately...

I am leaning towards the CFMoto because of how visually pleasing it is but then I have always loved the beautiful singing voice from the Hyosung. I was looking at a dirt bike to turn into a motard but I have only ever ridden stubby 250s that are short just like myself and I really would like a bit more poke than a 250. Yamaha wr450f looked so yummy, until I couldn't get both my feet on the ground.

I've been looking at Hyosungs for 2-3 years now and always imagined in my head how I would turn it into a neighbour annoying, fire breathing, baby Ducati sounding street fighting monster, then the CFMoto caught my eye in spectacular fashion a few months back and now they are both competing in my head of who is going to have their living quarters next to my pool table.

Hyosungs beautiful singing voice vs CFMotos pretty face.

Anyone with experience please let me know. I am looking at 2012 models.
    Biased anti bike brand opinions aside please, I know they aren't the most popular, but they fit my budget of 5k.

Pros and cons welcome.
    Having mechanics in my family and being quite handy myself, I don't mind pulling it apart now and then, as it won't be my primary transport. I still have a four wheeled pansy cage as backup lol.

I have roughly a week before I want to commit to the purchase my first LAMS bike.
    Last edited by Sir.Pinkie; 25-04-2014 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Added sheep.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Forget both bikes and go something better !

Bandit , gsxr , sv , tls/r , zxr , ktm duke etc .

Sv. Like a hyo, but better in every imaginable way

anything but a Suzuki,vfr 400 maybe

sv's are good value...tony if only you had the balls to ride a suzuki mate.... you would find out

Weekend Warrior
    you can get alot of bike for 5k.. and alot better then your current too picks..

oooh geesexar thems fightn words,lol,go HONDA

been there and done the hyo thing bought it new had it for 2 years and sold it for less than the third of the price as there resale is terrible, they do have there dramas and go well though mine spun a crank end bearing at 12000k, i thought that they handled well but i had just gotten of a 82 gpz750 so anything was a improvement i suspect cfmoto will be the same , for similar money id go for a sv, er6 , or something older in the name brand range in 750 plus , my 95vfr owes me about 5500 as it sits today and is a brilliant bike has been fault less and the best bit is i made it myself ,last year i bought dazzas yzf750 streetfighter 90 percent complete for a grand and all as it sits ready for rego it would owe me close to 3g and a heap of my own time but i know that bike inside out now too , and just on the weekend i picked up a 95 zxr750 for a grand sure its not pretty but it wouldnt take much to make something different out of it and be unique for less than 5g , just saying there are better options to a hyo and a cfmoto for 5g , sure not 2012 models but you can make something no one else has
    Last edited by hyofighter; 24-04-2014 at 01:56 PM.

ASF Gold Full Member
    If you like the sound a Hyo makes, you'll soil yourself at the song a VTR1000 sings!
    Reliable as the sun and plenty of good ones around with a heap 'o' change from $5k for you to alter it
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd start thinking about you

Does it have to be LAMS,or are you fully licenced?

A bloke at work bought one of those CFmoto things. He got exactly what he paid for which was a piece of Chinese junk. The rear wheel hub shat itself within about two thousand kms and he has been fighting for a warranty fix since.
    As stated, there are many better Japanese bikes you can get for that sort of money. They may have a few ks on them but are decades better than anything coming out of Korea or China.

ASF Standard Full Member Redmohawk's Avatar
    If you want boom boom of a twin and the 1000 isnt you cup of tea, Yam trx850 go alright and you'd get change from $5k if you look about or a real tidy low km unit .

hmm good choise trx 850 !
    I had a deposit on a thundercat when they first came out , but woke up to it .

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Yeah sorry, has to LAMS approved. I gotta follow them road rules.

I looked at a DRz400 in motard spec today which I really liked.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir.Pinkie View Post
    I looked at a DRz400 in motard spec today which I really liked.
    been there done that.

great fun, but not much chop for long rides.(not that they cant do it) or where the average speed is going to be high, great fun in the tight stuff though.

ASF Standard Full Member Redmohawk's Avatar
    600 monster would fit the bill then cheap enough (ex queensland grey import would set you back $3.5 to 4k) But you'd be a duke fag. And have people asking you whats wrong with your clutch/bike all the time

KTM625SMC......pretty much bulletproof,when set up nice....awesome in the twisties....not much will keep up with you if you're having a go,fairly comfy for long rides...will see close to 200kph....

Not many SMCs in the country....they go better and faster than the KTM640SM....pumper carb and different ignition...and these are LAMs...unlike the 640!!!
    Tho...having said that....my 640 had LAM on the rego,even tho it wasn't supposed too....

something like this.....

http://www.bikesales.com.au/private/...(((SiloType%3D[Brand new bikes available])|(SiloType%3D[Brand new bikes in stock]))|(SiloType%3D[Demo %26 near new bikes]))|(SiloType%3D[Demo %26 near new bikes]))|(SiloType%3D[Dealer used bikes]))|(SiloType%3D[Private used bikes]))%26((Make{%3D}[KTM]){%26}(Model{%3D}[625 SMC])))%26(Service%3D[Bikesales])&pso=0&pss=Premium

or this....
    Last edited by nick76; 25-04-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Ktm 390 ??

Cb400 lams old school look ?

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    Blog Entries
    Street Triple (there's a LAM's version going on sale)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast