Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So you want to go drag racing

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace

So you want to go drag racing

Ive had a few emails lately asking questions about getting into drag racing and what does it cost. Ill try to explain it here to the best of my knowledge. The following applies to ANDRA tracks only.

1. TNTs and Shootouts.
    Willowbank, WSID and the Perth Motorplex run these regulary.They cost around $50.00 and you may or may not need a day licence (under $10.00) Basic safety gear is required. Generally its unlimited runs. There is no need for a full ANDRA licence. You CANNOT run under 10.00 sec.

2. Street meets
    Again the major tracks run these regurlary. The cost is a little more, around $60.00 and you will require a day licence (sometimes the day licence is included in the entry cost) This is dial your own racing. Generally there is a small amount of prize money and points to go towards a series winner. Again you CANNOT run under 10.00 sec.

3. Bracket meets
    This is where it gets a bit more complex.
    You will need either a Superstreet licence or a UDL licence to compete. These events are held every 4 - 6 weeks. These are run as a yearly series. This is also dial your own racing unless you compete in Prostreet Bike, that is heads up racing. You CAN run under 10.00 sec with a UDL licence but not a Superstreet licence.

4. National Meets
    National meets are held throughout the year, such as the Winternationals held at Willowbank, Western Nationals held at the Perth Motorplex and Nitro Champs held at WSID. You will need either a Superstreet licence, a UDL licence or a Group 1 licence to compete. These events are heads up racing, index racing and dial your own racing depending what class you are in. The cost to enter these events varies.

LICENCE COSTS

A day licence will cost you around $10.00 and is only valid for that day

ANDRA membership will cost you $40.00-$80.00 per year

Superstreet licence will cost you $149.00 per year (no medical required)

UDL licence will cost you Group 2 $491.00 per year
    Group 3&4 $341.00 per year

Group 1 licence will cost you $1471.00 per year

Tech inspection is around $75.00

Log book is $30.00

Fuel Exemption $30.00

Medical is around $90.00

Ive proberly missed a couple of things but you get the idea.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Good bit of info there Shayne.

Thanks Brendan.

This is a cut and paste from the ANDRA website.
    The different ANDRA classes are

Group 1
    Top Fuel Bike
    Reserved for top of the line, nitro burning motorcycles. Superchargers are also permitted.

True motorcycle engines limited to 3277cc (200 cub. inches) with one form of supercharging, or 2621cc (160 cubic inches) where two forms are used.

Pro Stock Bike
    Pro Stock Motorcycles are the highest development of naturally aspirated, stock appearing motorcycles.

Bikes using two valve factory Kawasaki heads must weigh 77.2kg/litre (6.40 lb/cube).

All Kawasaki two valve engines with aftermarket cylinder head & Suzuki two valve with factory cylinder head must weigh 182.7 kg/litre (6.60 lb/cube).

Suzuki four valve engines must weigh 190.9 kg/litre (6.90 lb/cube).

Pushrod V-twin engines will be permitted with weight-break of 103.9 kg/litre (3.75 lb/cube) per cub inch and a maximum capacity of 2620cc (160 cubic inches).

Group 2
    Competition Bike

Twelve Competition Bike classes cover motorcycles ranging from supercharged purpose built machines to those based on street bikes. Machines from Top Bike may compete in Competition Bike Eliminator where a separate bracket is not posted.

Competition Bike (/CB)
    The Competition Bike classes accommodate purpose built drag racing motorcycles with fully fabricated frames and highly modified engines. Super charging is permitted in some classes. Minimum weight for all classes 484 lbs (220 kg).

A/CB - 188.2 kg/litre (6.80 lb/ cubic inch) or more, including rider.

B/CB - 215.9 kg/litre (7.80 lb/cubic inch) or more, including rider.

C/CB - 243.6 kg/litre (8.80 lb/cubic inch) or more, including rider.

D/CB - 304.5 kg/litre (11.00 lb/cubic inch) or more, including rider.

P/CB - 143.9 kg/litre (5.20 lb/cubic inch) or more, including rider. Pushrod engines only.

AA/CB - 199.3 kg/litre (7.20 lb/cubic inch) or more including rider, supercharged, turbocharged or nitrous oxide.

BB/CB - 227 kg/litre (8.20 lb/cubic inch) or more, including rider, supercharged, turbocharged or nitrous oxide.

CC/CB - 254.7 kg/litre (9.20 lb/cubic inch) or more, including rider, supercharged, turbocharged or nitrous oxide.

DD/CB - 319.7 kg/litre (11.55 lb/cubic inch) or more, including rider, supercharged, turbocharged or nitrous oxide.

Street Bike (/SB)
    The Street Bike classes cater for naturally aspirated production touring machines as supplied by the manufacturer, modified to the limits described in the class regulations. Treaded street tyres must be used.

A/SB - 1061cc and Over

B/SB - 801cc to 1060cc

C/SB - 641cc to 800cc

D/SB - Up to 640cc

Group 3
    Mofified Bike

Modified Bike is a bracket of six classes of motorcycles using engines of up to 2500 cc capacity, running on the ANDRA Dial Your Own handicap system with performances of 11.999 (1/4 mile) or quicker at ANDRA Championship level. Custom chassis are permitted and a maximum of three engines may be fitted. The double letter prefix denotes supercharging is permitted. This may be in the form of a mechanical supercharger or turbocharger, or the addition of nitrous oxide, which is considered to be chemical supercharging. Nitro-methane fuel is not permitted.

A/MB - Un-supercharged motorcycles over 900 cc capacity.

B/MB - Un-supercharged motorcycles 500 to 899 cc capacity.

C/MB - Un-supercharged motorcycles up to 499 cc capacity.

AA/MB - Supercharged/turbo/nitrous motorcycles over 900 cc capacity.

BB/MB - Supercharged/turbo/nitrous motorcycles over 500 to 899 cc capacity.

CC/MB - Supercharged/turbo/nitrous motorcycles up to 499 cc capacity.

ASF Premium Full Member El_Hefty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    good info Shane ... should be a sticky
    I can handle pain until it hurts.

You forgot PS/B, I'm making plans for one of them.

quote:Originally posted by Bitchfish

You forgot PS/B, I'm making plans for one of them.
    PS/B isnt an ANDRA class....... yet, its Willowbank only but WSID are looking into starting PS/B there next season as well. I only did the ANDRA classes to save confusion.

Yeah I was just going to edit that to clear confusion.

Anyway, PS/B is 9.00sec fixed index, open rules except no wheelie bars and no nitro methane. As Shayne mentioned it's only run at willowbank and WSID are looking into it.

It's a ripper of a class and hopefully ANDRA will pick it up in due time. But that's just my opinion.

No delay boxes allowed either Brendan. Its also heads up with a Pro tree which is what i really like about it. Yeah PS/B (Pro Street Bike} Looks like it will be a great class and relatively cheap too. Basicly grab a late model street bike, dump it on its guts (lowering links and Strap), stretch it ( 6in bolton extensions) a dry shot (perfect for fat bastards) shift light and air shifter. Easy as.

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Im fairly regular at willowbank shootouts, they are fantastic and i sometimes get 20 runs a day ..

Yet to go on my zx though .. was running 11.8 on a bone stock triumph sprint 1050!

Cant wait till may

Weekend Warrior
    unemployed homeless itinerate, Australia.
    For those looking at starting the ANDRA deal, a couple of hidden/not so obvious expenses are travel and time off work.
    Generally fuel to run a car and trailer comes out about at about $23 per 100 k's, plus wear/service
    costs on tow vehicle. (vic to qld, 3500k's return, sydney, 1700 k's)
    Travel there and setup generally manages to blow a day, and one to get home, unpack. ( sometimes 2 each way, if you dont
    like mixing it with the kangaroos etc at night)
    Then generally 3 day meets (minimum 2, sometimes 4), so up to a week/ 8 days away.
    And accommadation, if you're not scabby and stay at the track.
    Group 1: $660 entry, including DRDF/TV.
    Group 2,3 etc a bit under $500, I think.
    So at that, expect to blow at least a large, and a weeks leave, per meet, before you even start your bike.
    Plus licence and bike running/carnage.
    TBH, circuit/trackdays work out heaps cheaper, with heaps more ride time.
    As do dirt bikes.
    And road bikes.
    And girlfriends.( only just : ) )
    Problem is, the biggest buzz I know, is the first 3 odd seconds after you throw out the clutch lever.

nice to know livewire,any form of motorsport can get expensive,but it dosnt whinge like the girlfriend can.

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    wicked shayne thanks mate [now where did i see that H2 triple for sale lol}

Weekend Warrior
    One of the better truisms I've heard relating to drag racing come from Mick Withers.
    Went along the lines of:
    'If you drag race, you should spend a minimum 8 hours a week working on your bike.
    Those that don't, well it shows on race day'
    Experience has proven that very true.
    There's another day a week gone, unpaid.

Yep, and if you miss a week; double-up the next week.

There is always something to do on a dragbike. Always.

Another one of my favourites is, "They're called workshops and racetracks for a reason."

Thanks mate.

Weekend Warrior
    Don't forget how much fun and money can be spent making one of these.
    Trailer: min $3k plus a shitload of time, as I'm currently doing, or just go and spend the cashola , up to about $9k. Or then you could also sell your house and extend the mortgage, and go full-on with the mini-truck and gooseneck trailer combo, around $80k to $100k.
    Be aware the minitruck sucks gas all year, not just to/from racemeets
    Probike meeting win pays $1000. Topbike I think maybe $1500?
    Bad odds. This obviously is a 'not for profit' venture.

what the fuck ??? a god damm trailer sailer !!
    ride the fucker there !!

Weekend Warrior
    I think you mean 'trailer queen'.

Fuck G, that bike is HORN.
    Must also agree with what Mr Withers says, very wise man indeed.
    They certainly are a labour of love & if it becomes a chore then get out, you're playing the wrong game.

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks, Rick.
    I'm hoping my current project (above chassis with turbo busa) is done by Christmas.
    Think I'm over Hollywood myself, actually.
    With any luck I'll run a 6 at Heathcote, and save myself lotsa time and money.
    Plan A: Go to track about lunchtime. Rack up 3 x 6 second runs. Home for dinner. Spend less than $100 on the day.
    Maybe a bit optimistic, but hey, I'd be happy with 1 x 6 second run!
    About another 130 hours work to get there, for that 6 seconds, I reckon.
    Dollars already covered selling other race stuff.
    Plus a Philip Island track day in November, maybe another Winton and Broadford as well.
    Also another Dargo run on the dirtbikes in the High Country in spring, less dust.
    Kat has got 2 rallies coming up, now it's going again, then there's the GP, and access with the young fella.
    Maybe 6 second quarter by Easter is a more realistic plan.
    Lifes pretty good, I'm thinking.

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Ok guys, still a bit confused as to what I need.
    Just bought a bike to start modding a bit and play with at the track. Its gona have an extended arm and a few light mods, not planning to do any full on competition stuff, just take out to WSID on a wednesday/friday night, but It wont be street rego'd.

What do I need? Andra compliance? license? Log book? And are there any rules I gota comply to as far as mods are concerned?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast