Thread: urgent newb question

ASF Gold Full Member

urgent newb question

ok, forgive my ignorance, i got my new sprockets today for afr09 only to find they're not quite what i asked for, apparently i've been using the wrong chain on my 7/11, up till now i've been using a 530 pitch but the shop i got them through tell me i should be using 525, so thats the sprockets they ordered me, i know i should tell them to stick it but it took three weeks to get them in the first place so i'm stuck with them. but my question is, the shop told me to run a 525 pitch chain but the jt website is telling me its a 532 chain, wtf?
    I\'D RATHER DIE ON MY FEET, THAN LIVE ON MY KNEE\'S!
    <br />

Blog Entries
    Moved you to here Scrote, you'll get more replies mate.

ASF Gold Full Member
    cheers mate, i did say newb.
    <br />

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    this wont help you with your problem but check here for some questions about your 4B [8D]
    http://www.streetfighters.com.au/for...TOPIC_ID=14854

as for your sprockets and chain, you havent been using the wrong chain.

im guessing you dont understand what the 520, 525, 530 and so on actually means. basicly its the width of the chain. big bore bikes used to use 530 chains to handle the power, with improvements in chain tech you will now find its not really needed to whack such a large heavy chain on as a 530 so you can get away with a 525.

your problem now is you dont have the sprockets to match the chain.
    remember always change your sprockets at the same time as the chain otherwise all your doing is reducing the life of your chain.

ASF Gold Full Member
    i dont care what the other blokes say about you bluey your a fuckin legend, no i didnt know what the numbers meant, but im always keen to learn, cheers mate i'll jump online know and get the chain so i can whip fimps arse at the afr, lol fimp i guess you wont be lending me spanners this time,
    <br />

just out of interest, what is the shop?

if you walk in and order a chain or sprockets they should never just assume what you want and actually ask you. if you dont know they should explain to you what the differences are.

ASF Gold Full Member
    ****** mortorcycles, the main techy was out to lunch so i got the yung feller, i'm probabely half to blame as it was on my lunch break and i rushed in and out, i couldnt give them the numbers off my old sprocks cause im changing ratio so didnt catch on to the pitch thing, probabely over reacted too, getting to excited about afr. bikes been stripped down for 4 months now, am having withdrawals, just noticed im not a bloody pizza delivery girl anymore, yefknha
    <br />

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    3 Weeks are you kidding?????? I would have told them to stick it and gone to another shop...
    Also dont go too radical with the size differance on the sprockets ie: if you had say a 14 on the front dont just let them get you a 12, thats a big differance in gearing.... I had that happen to me when i just started out and it was ghey.. I think the ill be getting a 525 next time, less weight

ASF Premium Full Member fimpBIKES's Avatar
    quote:Originally posted by scrotary

i dont care what the other blokes say about you bluey your a fuckin legend, no i didnt know what the numbers meant, but im always keen to learn, cheers mate i'll jump online know and get the chain so i can whip fimps arse at the afr, lol fimp i guess you wont be lending me spanners this time,
    might not be an issue mate, i'll have a bike there
    but not sure if it'll be rego'd so i might be track only....

good to see you got the chain sorted
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

Weekend Warrior
    Scrotary,

Gidday. Just a few questions and might be able to help you out. Might be worth a call to get the main tech and sort it out with him.

I've had a rat around on the JT site looking at GSXR 750s & 1100s but without knowing what you are putting them onto, not sure if I'd be giving you the right info. Can't even find any 525 sprockets listed for the 1100s. What's the motor and what's the rear wheel? I'm guessing in a Suzuki 7/11 so what year frame and what swingarm? What are the numbers on the sprockets? JTF440 & JTR827? Have you put them on the bike and checked that they actually fit?

Like Blue said, you probably have been using the right chain til now as the 530 was aimed at high horsepower bikes however there are now more chains to choose from. The difference between the 532, 530 and 525 chains is in width and roller size. Chains are sized in 1/8" increments so "5" means 5/8" pitch (5 times 1/8"), 30 means 3/8" width (3 times 1/8") whereas 25 means 5/16" width (2.5 times 1/8"). But 352 and 530 differ on pin diameters, side plates and roller sizes.

However, match your chain to the sprockets and you'll be right. Bit worried that you might have been given a bum steer on the recommendation to use 525 chain.

ASF Gold Full Member
    thanks for the feedback guys, we'll have to have a grudge match on the strip fimp, i might just better you in a straight line, as for the sprockets, i went from 14f 50r, to 16f 42r, jtr827.42 and jtf440.16, wanted a bit more top end, the main thing that confused me is that the old and new sprockets measure the same, tooth to tooth, thickness, etc, the old 530 chain i have sits in fine, i worked in a pushy shop for 5 years and thought i new what i was doing but obviousley motorbikes are a different bucket of crap.
    <br />

Weekend Warrior
    Holy crap Scrotary. That's a huuuuuge step up. 3.57:1 to 2.63:1. Might be a bit slow off the line but gunna motor in the top end.

That aside, the 350 & 352 chains are the same pitch and width so it will wrap around the sprockets ok. The only differences are the 530 has 2.6mm thick outer link plates, 2.4mm thick inner link plates & 10.30mm diameter rollers. The 352 has the link plates swapped & 11.10mm diameter rollers. But that also depends on the grade of the chain too. EK list a 350 that is dimensionally the same as a 352 but has a greater tensile strength.

My advice... Wrap the chain around the sprocket and see if you can rock the sprocket back and forward in the chain. If you can't, you should be ok. If it does rock, then you have the slightly smaller rollers but it should still work ok. It may not last as long though. Just out of curiosity, can you measure the diameter of the roller and let us know. Also, what make is the chain and what's marked on the side plates?

Awesome cruiser too.

Bloke with a smaller stick
    if the roller diameters are not correct for the chain do not use them together. by doing this you are asking for trouble, the chain roller will not sit in the correct spot on the tooth and could ride up the tooth promoting streching.

i run 520 on my race bike and it is a 7/11. seems fine use an ally rear sprocket too

Weekend Warrior
    Deano, I stand corrected and will do a bit more research before offering off the cuff comments instead of after when someone may have done the wrong thing.

Hmmm... I was a bit casual with my answer. You will be dragging it and with that gearing, will be putting a huge load on the sprockets.

Take a step back. 350 and 352 are the only options on these sprockets. Any of the other chains, 525 and 520, do not have the correct width to allow their use. They simply will not seat into the teeth on the sprocket. So can't use them.

Now, with 350 and 352, the designations seem to be interchanged by some manufacturers however the important point for your application is that you are best off using a chain with 5/8" pitch, 3/8" width and 11.10mm diameter rollers as it is the chain that your sprockets have been designed for and JT recommend to use, as far as we know. It is generally designated as a 532 chain however, EK (not recommended) also list it as a 530ZZZ chain or a 532ZVX, both having the 11.10mm diameter rollers. 530 chain may have rollers of 10.30mm diameter down to 10.16mm diameter depending on it's application.

Now, if you were in a tight spot and only has a 530, 10.30mm diameter roller chain available, it would theoretically work on the 352 sprockets you have. But..... it would not be ideal, would be noisier, would damage itself and the sprockets due to point loading because it's not a snug fit in the tooth profile and wear out both a hell of a lot quicker. The point load will also contribute to stretching the chain as the load is not as evenly spread.

All that said, easiest might be to call up the shop and get the head tech and have him check with his suppliers if the sprockets are definately for 532 chain or for 530 chain and also tell him what chain you have to fit on it.

Just spoke to my mate at a shop in Brissy. He reckons he hasn't seen a 532 chain for years and that they only really ran them for a year on the big gixxers. His call was to do what I said with calling the shop.

ASF Gold Full Member
    o.k after some arm twisting and slick talking i have convinced the shop to change the sprockets to 530, as they should have been in the first place, i accepted some blame for not asking for 530's but i assumed this was the factory pitch, a responsible bike shop should have known you cant get 532 chains any more and that the 530 conversion was the prefered pitch, hopefully its as easy to teach me stunts as it was to teach me about chains, afr09 here i come
    <br />

Weekend Warrior
    Scrotary, good to hear you had a win with it.

Gotta admit, I was pretty much the same. Saw 352 and thought WTF? Know a bit better for next time now.

Bloke with a smaller stick
    good result. great research oz750