Thread: Rear Wheel Alignment

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace

Rear Wheel Alignment

OK folks, I have spent the last two days shouting and swearing at a partially dismantled motorcycle in a vain attempt to ensure the rear wheel is correctly aligned (I am pretty sure the markers on the swingarm are out).

I have searched all over the net for ways to do this properly but all of them require the rear wheel to be aligned off the front wheel, yet none say anything about how to ensure the front wheel is, in fact, straight.

Turn the bars a mm or two one way or the other and the measurements all become completely useless.
    Am I missing something really simple or is it just a case of dead reckoning?

Put a spirit level on the front discs . When the level is plumb (left to right) the wheel is pointing straight. If you have two levels you can make sure the first level is plumb by having the second level checking plumb front to rear.

Obviously you have to make sure that the bike itself is level (left to right). Usually I pick a point as close as possible to the swingarm pivot.

Basically you want to get your front wheel plumb looking left to right.

Bloke with a smaller stick BANDITROD's Avatar
    maybe measure from the front axle to the swingarm pivot and then measure back to the rear axle mate......and bullshit i dont believe that YOU cant find something on the internet

Glenn Eason drinks and smokes and lends his arse to other blokes

You measure off the swingarm pivot Danny boy, ideally you need one of these jiggers from Sharp Racing but with care you can improvise & make do with whatever's in the shed

The answer! I now have it!

I knew I nominated you for a reason, TK. Cheers mate.

Good advise guys, TK has the only way to centre your rear wheel and Bladehunter is describing the best way to check your frame is straight