Thread: Overseas Shipping

Weekend Warrior

Overseas Shipping

Has any one got any ideas of who to use?
    Might want to ship a bike.
    thanks
    Andrew

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Where to and from ?

Weekend Warrior
    Try Peter Leahy. Have heard he's pretty good.

You might wanna try talking to DCRacing (James). He just brought a bike in but not sure who he used.

I do know that there is a fair amount of paperwork and you have to have the import approved BEFORE having it sent.

Importing Vehicles to Australia Information Brochure (VSB10) Issue Date: June 2008 is the document you'll need to look up and follow.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4781
    http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...les/index.aspx

Would advise you to steer clear of California Imports. Haven't brought a bike in through them but they have dicked me around enough with parts that I won't recommend them for anything.

got a mate who reckons he can import a bike for around a grand. must be 20 years or older or somethin like that. he is the bloke who brings in my car parts from usa. can find his number when i get home if need be ?.

The ruling is called the Parralel Import Law. Any vehicle that is over 15 years old or has no Australian distributor is legal to import. But , all imports have to meet the ADR's relevant to the year of manufacture , have current ADR compliant guards/lights/blinker(if post 76') carbs,exhausts and air box all have to be STOCK for that model and that year of manufacture . Export depends on the country it's going to .

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    dcracing has just got a bike in from overseas. he may have some handy info

Weekend Warrior
    Yep, was talking to him when he was doing it. Main thing is to get the quote from the importer and a list of their charges in wreiting before agreeing to have then ship the bike. Stops "adjustments" later. Also, customs duties should be zero on the bike but you will have to pay GST based on the sale price of the bike in Aussie dollars on the day it leaves the US docks.

ASF Premium Full Member DCRacing's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hey Andrew, I brought a bike in from the states, the big issue is its age, i had to sign a stat dec saying it was a race bike and was not going to be ridden on the roads. i also had to send copies of my race licence and timesheets plus photo's of the bike being raced. and that was just to get the import approval.
    I used Peter Leahy, he was pretty good, if you get him he will do a good price on the import. If you get the office staff they quote a jacked up price. cost me about 2300 after all the taxes and cost of importing the bike to Aus.
    the easier way to do it is to bring it in o 3 pallets, 1 for the wheels 1 for the bodywork/panels and 1 for the frame and engine. it is then considered parts and, i am not sure, does not enter the register as a bike that cannot be registerd for road use, as i said i am not sure on that point. but i do know that you don't need DOTARS approval to bring the bike into the country. Even Peter Leahy suggested doing my import this way, but i guess you run the risk of bits going missing or getting lost and relying on someone over in the states to pull the bike to bits and crate it up for you.
    hope it helps.
    What The...?

Thats the trouble with reality........not everyone participates

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks guys