Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to do a wheelie

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries

How to do a wheelie

OK,

This is how I clutch it up.

It’s a 3, 2, 1, method and it all starts on the sofa so you don’t even need a bike at this stage.

You need to practise 3, 2, 1,

3 pull in the clutch, 2 shut the throttle, 1 push down on the rear break to compress the front end. (3 actions)

2 open the throttle, 1 lift your right foot. (Try to imagine your right hand rolling back and your right foot lifting at the front, like a puppet on a string) (2 actions)

1 flick out the clutch. (Don’t release it, just flick it. this is easier to do if you pull it in with just one finger) (1 action)
    So sit on your sofa and practice the 3, 2, 1,………….3, 2, 1,………….3, 2, 1,……….

Now all the above needs to be nice and fluid and take place within 3, 2, 1 seconds. Try it 3, 2, 1,

OK mastered that, time to move on.

Get on your bike and sit in neutral and roll the throttle from off to 5,000 rpm and try to remember roughly what position your hand is at. Now its not super critical that you hit 5grand every time but as close to it as you can. Sit on your bike for a while just rolling the throttle on and off 5,000 up and off 5,000 up and off. You are just trying to lock in where your right hand is in your head.

Now with your left hand pull in the clutch, 1 finger is good 2 is fine but no more, Why? Always keep 2 fingers locked on to the grip to keep control when the front starts to lift.

Now try to refer this back to the 3 of the 3, 2, 1, and put your bike in 1st gear, set off and get up to about 15 mph and roll along at this speed.

Now this is the hardest part of all GETTING YOUR HEAD AROUND YOU AINT GOING TO FLIP THE BIKE.

Take lots of deep breaths and calm yourself down, that front has to come up a long way before you flip it and it aint gonna happen, so calm down, and breath.

There is going to be lots of noise, a bit to think about, and the front end is gonna come up. Lots happening at the same time but when you have done it a few times you wont be quite so worried about the whole thing. Breath and try to stay calm.

When you use this method the revs will fade if you don’t roll the throttle on the faster you go so the bike will come down slowly on its own, if you don’t gently give it more right hand, so don’t panic and shut the throttle right off and slam the front down. Not good.

3 (pull in the clutch, roll off the throttle and push down on the rear break all at the same time) 3 operations

2 (roll back the throttle and lift your foot off the rear break. When you do this your right hand should go to the 5,000 rpm mark you have in your head) 2 operations

1 (flick out the clutch.) 1 operation

3, 2, 1…………….3, 2, 1………………..3, 2, 1………………..3, 2, 1.

The front end should come up

At this stage let it fade, and get used to the feeling of it coming up. Practice this for a week or so until you are comfortable with the whole thing. Don’t run before you can walk and take it slowly slowly slowly.

When you are confident with this and it feel second nature its time to just tweak the throttle to keep up the front end. Ideally your bars should be on the sight line between your eyes and the horizon (Eyes………Bars………….Horizon)

Remember this aint gonna happen over night and you need to practice practice practice.

If you are happy at this stage and you have the front coming up nicely in the air and you have your head sorted, try going back to the start and when you do your 3, 2, 1, as the front end comes up flick it into second gear, but don’t touch the clutch. A quick lift (Flick) of your left foot and your in. Tweak the throttle to keep it there and you are away.

So there you have it there is no reason why you cant get stuck in right away and practice the 3, 2, 1, on your sofa, so come on……………3, 2, 1.

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Wow that's a whole lot to remember! I'm no expert but my old K2 Gixxa would power wheelie in 1st and 2nd just with a twist of the wrist at the right revs (about 7000rpm). My ZX9 was a bit harder to wheelie but I used the same principal. At around 7000-8000rpm pull the clutch in to build the revs and release prob only for about a second or less, then throttle to control height.

That's just how I do em, hope you don't mind me adding to your thread mate.

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries
    Not a lot really mate and you can do low speed wheelies. After a while its second nature, like I said it takes just 3 seconds mate.

Here is where I learned, its safe, controlled, and looks the biz when you master it. Watch for the dip when the rear break is compressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9guc7iqInA

Check out other stuff on youtube from Jimmy Fireblade.

ASF Depleted Uranium Member Large's Avatar
    Fucking 1 2 3 my arse!

I just snapped the back off the fucking sofa![V]

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    quote:Fucking 1 2 3 my arse!

I just snapped the back off the fucking sofa!
    Can't handle the power ay Big Fella
    Time to get yourself a 2fiddy me ol mate

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries
    quote:Originally posted by Large

Fucking 1 2 3 my arse!

I just snapped the back off the fucking sofa![V]
    LOL did you manage to get the front of the sofa off the ground mate ha ha. You might be better off on a bean bag big man.

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries
    quote:Originally posted by CBRRRT

OK,

This is how I clutch it up.

It’s a 3, 2, 1, method and it all starts on the sofa so you don’t even need a bike at this stage.

You need to practise 3, 2, 1,

3 pull in the clutch, 2 shut the throttle, 1 push down on the rear break to compress the front end. (3 actions)

2 open the throttle, 1 lift your right foot. (Try to imagine your right hand rolling back and your right foot lifting at the front, like a puppet on a string) (2 actions)

1 flick out the clutch. (Don’t release it, just flick it. this is easier to do if you pull it in with just one finger) (1 action)
    So sit on your sofa and practice the 3, 2, 1,………….3, 2, 1,………….3, 2, 1,……….

Now all the above needs to be nice and fluid and take place within 3, 2, 1 seconds. Try it 3, 2, 1,

OK mastered that, time to move on.

Get on your bike and sit in neutral and roll the throttle from off to 5,000 rpm and try to remember roughly what position your hand is at. Now its not super critical that you hit 5grand every time but as close to it as you can. Sit on your bike for a while just rolling the throttle on and off 5,000 up and off 5,000 up and off. You are just trying to lock in where your right hand is in your head.

Now with your left hand pull in the clutch, 1 finger is good 2 is fine but no more, Why? Always keep 2 fingers locked on to the grip to keep control when the front starts to lift.

Now try to refer this back to the 3 of the 3, 2, 1, and put your bike in 1st gear, set off and get up to about 15 mph and roll along at this speed.

Now this is the hardest part of all GETTING YOUR HEAD AROUND YOU AINT GOING TO FLIP THE BIKE.

Take lots of deep breaths and calm yourself down, that front has to come up a long way before you flip it and it aint gonna happen, so calm down, and breath.

There is going to be lots of noise, a bit to think about, and the front end is gonna come up. Lots happening at the same time but when you have done it a few times you wont be quite so worried about the whole thing. Breath and try to stay calm.

When you use this method the revs will fade if you don’t roll the throttle on the faster you go so the bike will come down slowly on its own, if you don’t gently give it more right hand, so don’t panic and shut the throttle right off and slam the front down. Not good.

3 (pull in the clutch, roll off the throttle and push down on the rear break all at the same time) 3 operations

2 (roll back the throttle and lift your foot off the rear break. When you do this your right hand should go to the 5,000 rpm mark you have in your head) 2 operations

1 (flick out the clutch.) 1 operation

3, 2, 1…………….3, 2, 1………………..3, 2, 1………………..3, 2, 1.

The front end should come up

At this stage let it fade, and get used to the feeling of it coming up. Practice this for a week or so until you are comfortable with the whole thing. Don’t run before you can walk and take it slowly slowly slowly.

When you are confident with this and it feel second nature its time to just tweak the throttle to keep up the front end. Ideally your bars should be on the sight line between your eyes and the horizon (Eyes………Bars………….Horizon)

Remember this aint gonna happen over night and you need to practice practice practice.

If you are happy at this stage and you have the front coming up nicely in the air and you have your head sorted, try going back to the start and when you do your 3, 2, 1, as the front end comes up flick it into second gear, but don’t touch the clutch. A quick lift (Flick) of your left foot and your in. Tweak the throttle to keep it there and you are away.

So there you have it there is no reason why you cant get stuck in right away and practice the 3, 2, 1, on your sofa, so come on……………3, 2, 1.
    On second thoughts you could just go out and give it a FUGGIN BIG FIST FULL, that might work too ha ha

The easiest way ive found to wheelie is....
    1. Buy a Hayabusa
    2. Add a turbo
    3. Add a boost controller
    Power wheelies at 270kph+ easy. Scares the shit out of me but i still keep doing it

All i usually do is hold 1st til bout 50-60ish k's, snap throttle open to pop up, use throttle to regulate height, once balance point is achieved, change gear(no clutch), then do it again nd again nd again as i run outa revs per gear.
    Best I've done was bout 2k's long. brought it down in 5th doin 242km/h

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries
    Everyone likes to give it the big-un and say “Yeah I can wheelie” [8D] and some don’t like to ask how to do it, for fear of looking silly [)]. I reckon if you don’t know how to wheelie, but are gagging to have a go, then this is possibly the safest way to get started, as we all have to start somewhere. [:I]

The thread was really intended to help people that wanted to learn how to wheelie in a controlled manner, at low speed to gain the confidence to give it the big-un. My blade will pop up off the throttle but its quite aggressive and travelling and accelerating quite fast. [}]

The technique described above is a little more sedate and ideal for a beginner. Take a look at the Jimmy Fireblade thread on youtube, it’s a wheelie school in the UK, and it’s the method he uses for beginners. [^]

If you already can do a wheelie at 90mph then this aint for you, but if you want to get started give it a go.

Just make sure you have a mate with you as sometimes things do go wrong, and you may need someone to help you out. [B)]

quote:Originally posted by miniman1

All i usually do is hold 1st til bout 50-60ish k's, snap throttle open to pop up, use throttle to regulate height, once balance point is achieved, change gear(no clutch), then do it again nd again nd again as i run outa revs per gear.
    Best I've done was bout 2k's long. brought it down in 5th doin 242km/h
    If you're picking up speed, you aren't at balance point.
    Balance point will mean you can hold a constant speed.

The above is all good, except if you are riding a cbr250 5000 revs will mean fuck all! You want to let the clutch out just where the bike starts to make good power.

Anyone just powering up, try using the clutch- its a hell of a lot more controled and you can regulate how fast the wheel comes up

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote: Anyone just powering up, try using the clutch- its a hell of a lot more controled and you can regulate how fast the wheel comes up

I make you right Yoda, thats why I detailed the method above for anyone just starting out.

Weekend Warrior
    Dude - I don't mind saying I can't wheelie for shit but I have been through your steps and sure as shite, its coming along. Hardly a fucking pro but at least there's daylight between the tarmac and the wheel
    Nice one - start that school i was looking for

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries
    Mate, it wont happen over night so dont force it, just get used to the feel of the front end lifting and get your head round that. Take lots of lovely deep breaths and calm yourself right down, because you are doing something your brain is not comfortable with. [:0]

Pro's practice practice practice, you will get there mate and there is no need to trash your pride and joy along the way. [B)]

[8D] You are already on the road to coolsville mate, and I'm well proud of you

If you are not yet a full member matey send off your donation to Si, because I will be posting a comp in full members competitions quite soon with stuff that will help you to become a propper HOOLIGAN. [}]

Keep up the good work mate and it wont be long before you are a mad tyre destroying bastard. [^]

Regards

Jon.

FAAARRRRRRRRK......i just car'nt do it the noise is...well it just IS !!![:0]

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries
    If you dont always want to be a pizza delivery boy then you have got to get your mind right and try a bit harder

well jon iv fucked all my pizza's to day letting the bloody clutch
    go at 5 big one's on my 1216 so first thing in the mornin its the
    GSXR thou at least i'll be leaning over the pizza to hold it down..........and it will prob'ly stop the bastards going down my jacket [8D][8D]

hang on gov...do you still want me at 5 grand on the gixa....could be scary,is this in the uk licence test

hey jon..just to annoy the shit out of you...have you ever laid
    eye's on a BFO build over there ? fugg'in hot frame work mate!
    been keeping an eye out for a busa done by them iv only seen
    an artists impression of the bike []

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries
    I cant say I have matey, but I'll keep a look out now you have said it, you WEEKEND WARRIOR you

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast