Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dynojet fined $1 000 000!!

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder

Dynojet fined $1 000 000!!

Just saw this on KZrider forum, while I knew that Jesse James had got nailed by the epa in the states I didnt know dynojet had!!

I think the aftermarket streetbike performance market (Jay, do you want to comment?) will take a big hit. The EPA emissions requirements going forward are going to make life very difficult for companies like Dynajet, Vance & Hines and more.

Dynojet was nailed with a $1,000,000 fine late last year for knowingly selling performance parts that violated California emissions.
    Jesse James was saddled with a big fine too.
    In smaller cases, one of the Honda dealers was nailed for modifying off-road bikes, a couple of HD dealers hit...
    Yamaha was fined $3,000,000 for selling bikes that didn't conform to CA emissions... and forced to recall/destroy all those bikes...
    Expect to see much more of this as the EPA and local states start to enforce emissions.

Here's the start of the Yamaha one...
    http://www.allbusiness.com/governmen.../862669-1.html

and the end:
    www.arb.ca.gov/enf/casesett/yamahaseas.htm

The complete California Enforcement list - when you read through there are a fair number of powersport related companies...
    www.arb.ca.gov/enf/actions/actions.htm actions
    www.arb.ca.gov/enf/casesett/casesett.htm settlements

The american epa sucks [V] hope our clowns dont go the same route!!

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Trust Honda to come up with e polution solution....

There’s been a lot of talk in the auto industry lately about electric cars, and moving to fully electric platforms. Quietly, motorcycle companies have seen the writing on the wall, and have been exploring electric two-wheel applications for new models. KTM has promised to bring an electric bike by this time in 2010, and Quantya has an electric dirt bike, the Strada already available for purchase.

Not to be left out on this one, Honda has announced that it has partnered with Yuasa to bring an electric bike line-up to their model range by the year 2010.

“Honda is currently developing a battery-powered electric motorcycle which emits no CO2 during operation. The company is aiming to introduce this electric motorcycle to the market about in two years from now,” says Takeo Fukui, Chairman and CEO of Honda Motor Co. “History shows that motorcycles remain strong in a difficult market environment and have always supported Honda in difficult times,” he adds.

Yuasa, maker of most motorcycle batteries (check yours), will be responsible for the development of the high-performance lithium-ion batteries necessary for the electric motorcycles. The two companies will jointly set up a research and development center, and a battery manufacturing facility near Kyoto in Japan. This*joint venture is being funded to the tune of $18.5 million, with*Honda*holding a 49% stake in the company, and the rest being held by Yuasa.

whisper quiet motorbikes, dangerous and GHEY

ASF Premium Full Member fimpBIKES's Avatar
    i'd fukkin love one!

its all about torque
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

Weekend Warrior
    unemployed homeless itinerate, Australia.
    Just shifts the pollution from the exhaust to the power station

Power stations run on upwards of 60% efficiency.
    You'd be lucky if your car/bike runs at 15% efficiency.
    That doesn't take into account all the energy lost in refining and transporting the fuel...
    It would cost about $1-$2 to "refuel" an electric car.

Newest technology batteries and electric motors are delivering some serious performace - check out the electric drag bike if you don't believe me. And this is being achieved WITHOUT major support from the big manufacturers. If they got behind it and sorted the technology I think electric vehicles could out perform petrol powered. DC motors put out huge torque from almost zero RPM and as there are no reciprocating parts can really rev out.

I'm all for new technology that keeps two wheels on the road. Styling is ghey and OTT but I think thats the point. For some reason manufacturers feel the need to do electric styled cars in a futuristic manner, but when they get passed this I think it will be much more of possibility for regular joes.

The only drawback I reckon is when you pull all the plastics off it'll be that much harder to hide the wiring

ASF Premium Full Member fimpBIKES's Avatar
    when i was in italy in 04 they had little "recharge points" street-corners for scooters etc

if they did that (as an incentive) then running costs for only drop to almost zero

the only thing i worry about is weight distribution
    would be a VERY different beast to ride with all the unsprung motor mass in the rear wheel hub!
    hELLO WHEELIES
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

http://www.livescience.com/18132-intelligence-social-conservatism-racism.html
    maybe some recorded exhaust noise playing through a kick-arse sound system?

I think there is an electric bike that has a noise generator for that very reason. I think it may also be a Yamaha. I'd usually do a search to back that up but I'm feeling lazy tonight so meh.

I'm looking forward to the torque of an electric dirt bike, in particular.

Farkin EPA seems a tad heavy handed. Typical government greenies.

Bloke with a smaller stick Weaselman's Avatar
    i love internal combustion...

anything else is gay

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    ^^^DINOSAUR.....the internal combustion engines days are numbered purely because it uses a fuel that is expensive and becomong increasingly rare [wait till the chinese start driving cars see the demand rocket and prices go ballistic] if just 20%[200 million]of chinese population start running small cars the demand will be equivalent to the entire U.S private car usage for fuel.[currently about 80% of the population]...so lets just enjoy the fast frugal engines we have while we have them and when their banned well ride leccy bikes

seem to remember a post on here about a electric drag bike (killacycle??) that went pretty well (especially for the fella who thought he would pull a static burnout in public but it gripped and took off real quick)

im not too fussed so long as it makes noise so braindead drivers hear me coming. or teach everyone to drive?
    handling better be good though, dont want heavy batteries in the wrong spots!

I'm with weasel, if it dont burn somethind and make a noise its Ghey ]

At least we wouldn't have to re-jet or remap the fuel system. We'd be looking at ways to get more winds on the armature and stronger magnets.
    Instead of nitrous or turbos, we'd have a higher voltage booster. Heat would be the by-product issue.

Maybe on the highways they could run 2 thin steel tracks, and the bike would have brushes hanging down like Scalextric cars [:0]

Now thats just bein silly [)]

I know it's not really a good comparo, but I have an electric RC car with Lithium Polymer Batteries and a brushless motor that is INSANELY quick!! 120km/h+ and that's not scaled up. If they could get some of that technology into a car/bike, I would buy one!

In saying that, I love everything about petrol motors, whether it's in a car or a bike and I hope they never get rid of them, no matter how unrealistic that is.

Bloke with a smaller stick Weaselman's Avatar
    I honestly beleave that electric engines are dead in the water.
    They will develop a synthetic fuel before electric motors on a large scale

Simply because ships trucks and anything huge will always need a internal combustion engine to provide power
    I think the cost of stringing wires all over oz for the rail network would cost more than keeping diesel burning freight trains

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast