Page 3 of 130 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: CBRRRT's Shed. (Index on page 1.)

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries

Quite pleased with the little infill panels too. I think when the bike is painted they will tie in the tank to the seat unit quite well.

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries

I think I have to make a bit more effort to get the swing arm mounted now.

I know its 25mm narrower than the stock arm because I had to have a spacer made up. This will give me about 65mm between the back of the rear sets and the arm to fit my link pipe to the R1 zorst.

Looking at my rear sets they are set into the frame about 6mm from face of rear set to face of frame, so I could pack them out with washers if I have to gain a bit extra space.

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries

Not sure if this will be of any help to you guys, and I aint no engineer so I cant do those fancy drawings.

Above I drew around my card templates and added the basic information you need to make your own sub-frame mounting plates.

Lets face it if a dip shit like me can do it anyone can. I have no special skills and a very basic workshop and tools, so if you are like me and drool over the bikes the clever blokes on here turn out, take a deep breath get out your hack saw and get stuck in, whats the worst that can happen [B)] lol

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries
    I didnt think there would be any point in putting on my infill panels template, because the shape would depend on the angle you mount your sub-frame.

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries

Back wheele out with a bunch of other stuff.

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries

This is the spacer 25mm outside dia with a 20mm hole through it, and 25mm long

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries

The spacer fits snugly into the right hand side of the swing arm. its easier to hold it in place with a little dollop of cream cheese or KY gel.

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries

Right, I've had enough for one day. I'm off to get some of this

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries

And lots and lots of this

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries

Probably end up with something like this

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries

But with a bit more of this

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries

Might end up looking like this.....

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries

Just hope this is up to it............See you later lads

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries

Spent all day Sunday having a bit of a tidy up under the seat unit. I wouldnt normally attempt to do wiring but I was bored and who knows what you can do untill you try.

I mounted the Regulator in front of the battery and the CDI unit just behind it.

The imobiliser alarm was a bit of a problem but I eventually put it under the pillion seat.

There was a bit of cutting and soldering to do, but nothing anyone with half a brain couldnt handle.

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries

It all looked like a pile of guts when I started, but ended up not to bad at all.

I'm well pleased.

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Im watching and learning , mate what have you made your fill in piece out of ,where the top sub frame mount is[?]

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Matey,

When I dumped the bike at snetterton race way I had quite a lot of broken plastic.

I cut out a rough shape from a side panel, then got my hot air paint striper gun and gently heated the plastic. It went soft and flexable quite quickly so dont hold it too close for to long.

Then I placed a weight on to it to flaten the plastic out.

I then got a wheetabix box and cut out a template trimming it a little at a time.

To cut the plastic I put a hacksaw blade in my jig saw, but mind your fingers, it gets a bit fiddley. If you cant get the saw blade to cut from one angle, then come out and go in again from another.

I thought it might look a little better with a slight 3D look to it so I used the template again to draw around the bottom then cut a narrow strip about 5mm following the shape of the bottom of the panel, and a little bit up the front.

I superglued the thin strip to the bottom of the panel to double its thickness, then when it was dry used a round back file to get both edges the same.

This done, I then mixed up car body filler and pushed it into the top edge of the narrow strip so when I sanded it it would make a nice smooth curv and round off the bottom edge.

Once I got the panel to where it almost fit, I noticed that the top of the panel, where it touched the tank was pushing it away and not laying back at the right angle. It didnt line up with the seat and seat pad. I got out my heat gun again and warmed up the front top corner and gently pushed the corner out a fraction.

This was just enough to make the panel sit at a better angle.

I had no idea that it would work when I started, but I had a go and it paid off.

The only thing I would highly recoment would be to make it from card first and get it to fit. If you would like any of my templates email me and I will copy them and email them back to you.

Thanks for taking time to read my thread matey, hope it is of help.

Regards,

Jonathan.

Blog Entries
    I really like a good topic with progress and photos. Cheers Jon, nice work.

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries
    Nice of you to say so mate.

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries

Had to remove the padock stand to take the pressure off the swing arm so I can drop out the shock. Problem was the axel stands were to short. I knocked up a platform out of 50x50 and ply to lift them up a bit.

Page 3 of 130 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast