Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Project R1 - updated 20/10/11

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Sweeeet! Keen to see how it ends up Jules!

Me to Lance. Got quite a few little plastic bags all labeled with where the bolts came off from. And also tagged up all the wiring loom as I was removing it. Should help for when its going back together. It sure as hell needs a good degreasing though

Bloke with a smaller stick BANDITROD's Avatar
    hey jules if you have an angle grinder just grind off a couple of the peen's on your chain and pop a link out easy as mate

Glenn Eason drinks and smokes and lends his arse to other blokes

quote:Originally posted by BANDITROD

hey jules if you have an angle grinder just grind off a couple of the peen's on your chain and pop a link out easy as mate
    Yeah that's the way.

I was going to say take your swingarm off and slip the intact chain off the sprockets but you've got the brace on the swinger to get the chain out of as well

Yeah the brace is a pain. Had to disconnect the line off the caliper as well to remove it as it was passed through the swinger. Could do with some new fluid in there anyway, so might as well

ASF Premium Full Member
    I take it that the rear calliper wont fit through the swingarm brace and besides rear brakes are over rated anyway

quote:Originally posted by timbo

I take it that the rear calliper wont fit through the swingarm brace and besides rear brakes are over rated anyway
    Don't know Tim, it has come in handy once or twice when i was trying to keep up with you and ended up sliding into the corner cos braked too late. Damn you and knowing those roads like the back of your hands

A couple of hours in the shed, which brings the grand total up to 8 hrs. Was trying to find some wood around the shed to be able to stack up under the engine, but couldn't find enough. So after a bit of looking around found the next best thing. A spare wheel off a car which was at the back of the shed, a few pieces of wood over it and voila, perfect height with the front wheel sitting just off the ground and the bike nice and steady. Undid the mounting bolts and just got a friend to keep the engine steady as i lifted the frame off the engine.

removed a few clips and the controls from the front end and its almost done, part 1 that is. Now I need to get a hold of a C-Spanner to remove the Triples off the frame. Anyone local has one I could borrow??

Also does anyone know what the rubber nipples in the frame are? I tried removing them as I want to powdercoat the frame, but they wouldn't budge. Managed to get a finger in the frame next to one of them and it seems like there is a rubber block on the inside of the frame and they are there to keep in in place. Maybe for when the frmae was being welded together?? Any ideas?

I'm think maybe anti-vibration Jules. You should be able to still powder coat the frame anyway.

quote:Originally posted by 80s freak

I'm think maybe anti-vibration Jules. You should be able to still powder coat the frame anyway.
    Would there be any issue with the process as they have to put it in a furnace. Not very high temp, but still

Blog Entries
    Thats awesome work there Jules, your about 15 minutes away from having that frame bare mate..

All the parts are neatly sorted

Bare frame and swinger

Bodywork

Parts in need of a clean - badly

Chain looking like new again

Blog Entries
    Shoulda seen my sprocket cover mate, you couldn't see them rings, there was that much shit caked in there.. so off to the powder coaters now??

ASF Standard Full Member
    Fuck Jules, you're getting right into it ! Are you coating the swinga too ? Did you manage to get the bearings out of the head stem ? Gonna look sweet mate.
    :cool: Oblivious !!

Head stem bearing were easy. They're in good nick too. Having an issue with the bearings in the swinger though. Seems like they're pressed in. Want to powder coat the swinger as well, so they're gonna have to come out. Made a little bearing puller today after work. Wasted an hour machining on the lathe and mill, only to not have any luck being able to pull the bearings out.

ASF Standard Full Member
    I watched a lunatic, (Oldskool), do this the other week. He just applied a little heat and then twatted fuck out of it with a long pry bar and a fuken big hammer from the opposite side. Crude but effective. N.B. he was replaceing the bearings.
    :cool: Oblivious !!

Bloke with a smaller stick BANDITROD's Avatar
    yep thats the way i doit it to silver fox

Glenn Eason drinks and smokes and lends his arse to other blokes

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    thats the go.. and if you still cant move them, grab a bigger hammer!

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast