Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project 750 GPinXpensive

Weekend Warrior
    Cheers Jon, i've been following your thread, looks like a great project and use of some good skills, sure the end result will be a blinder,

I'll get some side shots of my bike soon, it still needs a lot of work but i'm getting there slowly,

Thanks for the links above but not entirely sure what they are there for?

Weekend Warrior
    been shopping today and bought some new risers to sort the boge it and scarper risers i fitted the first time,

i'm still trying to get some tappered washers made if anyone can help for a price,

hoping my braided lines will be here before saturday so i can get them fitted this weekend,

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    They look pretty simple mate - you could make it with a hacksaw and a drill press if you were keen.

Weekend Warrior
    a hack what and a frill dress?

means nothing to me mate, speak english

just kidding, my skills aren't that bad, i have hardly any gear though, i'll post a photo of my entire tool collection at some point, its a screw driver, a pair of scissors and a toothbrush

i agree, they don't have to be a top job, if anyone has the instruments to rough soemthing out i'll cross their palm with silver

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries
    Thought they might come in handy for ordering bling mate, not sure if you can get some of the euro-bling we get over here.

Weekend Warrior
    cheers mate, not sure bling is my thing or if it would suit my rat piece of shit but thanks anyway,

decided to have a go at making the tappered washers, found some old bar mounts i can hopefully cut down and use, i'm off to repco tomorrow morning to buy me a frill dress clamp to grip them while i choppy choppy,

going to use the top part of the old mounts to replace the monkey metal shite i snapped on the bark busters, waste not want not

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries

Good on ya matey, and it dont look like a rat piece of shit to me mate. Like I say mate, I see things that never was and say Why not. From what I've seen sofar its going to look like a bit of an animal. An animal that says 'Grrrr, Come near me and I'll fuckin kill ya'

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries

'Go on, I fuckin dare ya'

Weekend Warrior
    made more progress on the weekend by getting my tappered washers made, still need finishing off though but i plan on buying some renthal road bars and will need to strip it all back down again to fit them. When i do that i'll finish and matt black my washers, fit my new bar clamps and matt black my bark busters clamps and fit new grips, hopefully that should be the last time i have to fcuk around in that area.

was all pretty straighgt forward but had some minor fopars along the way, not suprisingly my $15 dollar vice from repco was made of cheese and shit itself half way through cutting the first washer therefore i had to carry on using vice grips / 4 finger 1 thumb grips, i did take the vice back and got a refund so the washers eventually cost a grand total of fcuk all - result.

not sure if i still need further bracing for the clamps?

Bloke with a smaller stick BANDITROD's Avatar
    looking fucking great mate i love the use of what you have laying around i have made stuff like that myself before and thats why i never throw anything away cos you never know where you might need it well done

Glenn Eason drinks and smokes and lends his arse to other blokes

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries
    I love it. Looks excelent matey, well done.
    Makes you feel good to figure something out and come up with a one off solution.

Weekend Warrior
    cheers mate, you do get a good feeling of achievment when you get a result out of something others may see as scrap, the top clamp pieces also got a new lease of life as bark buster clamps, they just need a rub down and a shot with the rattle can,

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries
    I'm constantly amazed by the clever fuckers on here, and when I see something like you've done there mate, I think about my own project, start scratching my chin, and think there is nothing thats not do'able.

Top bit of problem solving matey.

I know what you mean about put together and take apart. I've lost count how many times I have stripped bits off to get something to fit then put em back only to take em off again a couple of days later. Still I guess its all part of the learning process.

I'm a fuckin expert on R1 seat units now mate ha ha!

So whats next on your hit list of jobs to do? everything is looking killer so far matey.

Weekend Warrior
    just trying to get the bike in good working order before anymore mods,

fitted new pads today after arm wrestling the calipers to push the pistons back in. i also intended fitting braided lines as the brakes are pretty spongy, i was looking forward to removing that Y piece too but no dice as the lines are too short, bugger. my old pads didn't look too bad i thought but a mate suggested that they were ready for changing?

the seals on the pistons are completely rooted so i'm going to buy some new ones from the stealer, i guess there is a techneque to fitting them, looks pretty tricky, i fooked one up trying to get back in so i'm now a seal missing on one piston, hope its not dangerous,

wasn't sure when fitting my new lines if using longer banjo bolt to connect two brakes lines should you use a copper washer sandwiched between the two lines or just one either side?

last question for you guys in the know, i'm thinking about buying some flat drag bars, anyone used them before and are they ok for general road riding?

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries
    yes you do need a copper washer between your banjo's. and I had flat bars on my Bandit for a while, not only did they give a quite agressive riding position, they looked cool too. Fuck comfy.

yep flat drag bars are the fucking shit. had fatbars on for a while in a super low bend, but as soon as the drag bars went on it was a whole different story!
    the bonus is you'll probably be able to use those braided lines with the drag bars. and definitely a copper washer between the lines.

Weekend Warrior
    took your advice PT and went with the drag bars, already sent lines back so no harm there, i tried to get all the new parts fitted last saturday when i struck a problem. the helpful chaps where i bought the taller risers to compensate for no bend on my bars kindly supplied me fat bar ones when i had ordered 7/8"! i was well pissed as i had already stripped the old bars, i now have a non functional bike and have been loving getting up early this week to get the city cat!

i phone up the spares shop and said i wanted to speak to the monkey grinder not the organ so i could find out what the fuck was with my order, i was told that they only make the taller risers for fat bars?! anyone know if this is true? to get my bike back on the road i've gone with short ones for now,

i also had trouble bleeding my braided line but think that was because i spent most time on one side caliper but now i don't have a Y splitter i will need to bleed them evenly?

also ordered a cluth master cylinder from a breakers in victoria to match the brake cyclinder i got on ebay,

i decided to do away with my bark busters after my bike lept off its stand and smashed one, it did its job though and saved my lever, i was out at tamborine at the time but could still ride home, i'll post some pics of that later when i can find where i put them, like i said it always seams to be 3 forward and 2 back for me, thats the nature of modding on the cheap i suppose,

new parts

workshop

idiots - and yes i questioned them when i picked them up stating they looked pretty big and received the smart reply of if you ordered 7/8" they are 7/8" !!! but they weren't

new clutch lever arrived today

in melbourne this weekend so another week on the cat then straight into it next saturday, fingers crossed this time

If you want a set of risers mate - i have some - they are taller not super tall but might get you out of trouble. PM me mate and you can borrow them as long as you need.

Search the techincal threads - someones done a how to on bleeding brakes with a syringe. Its in the members only section i think... you are a full member right []

I got a set of tallish 7/8" from exben. Try him.

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries
    The clutch and break levers on my blade are cut right back and filed and polished. I only ever use two fingers to clutch and break, and I find it easier to flick the clutch to pop up the front end. They dont hit the back of the other two fingers when I pull them either.

I'll take a photo of em at the weekend and stick them on my thread. Might not be everyones idea but I find it works.

Its all looking good so far matey boy, keep up the good work.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast