Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project 750 GPinXpensive

Weekend Warrior
    Paid $350 to find out my carbs are fooked, its not LAE's fault i know and as you can see they have made an improvement, still misses like a bastard low down though,

Wish i'd started with a later model bike now as i know this one will never be right unless maybe i can get second hand carbs or re new these ones?

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace

With all those washers it's obvious you're not an Aussie. We would have saved the time of threading em all on and tied the bars on with a bit of fencing wire Seriously though I love the idea as unsafe as it is. Its true spirit of DIY. The spacers is a much safer better option for you though mate...

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Your right mate
    our builds are very similar.
    as for carbs ther is a kit you can get from the us that will sort it right out.
    wiring an acewell to these old beasts is an exercize in confusion.
    mine is getting a full rewire if i can aford it.
    do you know what you are going to do with your tank?
    We should have a beer and a head scratch together.
    At least we are trying to build something.
    you gotta start somwhere i says.
    To everyone that questions the logic of cutting up a good bike,
    I say fuck off.

Weekend Warrior
    I hope you like hospital food.

Weekend Warrior
    The beer would be good Res, i'm up here in Brissy though so might have to put a rain check on that. nearly got my acewell sorted now, i'll post an update at the weekend if it helps you any, i found out my fuel gauge has shit itslef so that ones out the running, i'll have to work out k's per litre to caluculate when i'm getting low, the tank is the last on the list at the minute, i'll talk to you more about that carb kit though, sounds good

ps thanks for your advice muppet

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    I got my acewell running all right about a year ago,
    but it took some time.
    I hail from Brissy, and i used to go to LAE aswell.
    Next time I'm up i'll give you a hoy.
    Cheers.

Pizza delivery boy/girl

Hey Guile. Dont worry about what anyone says mate. Do what ya can with what you got/can afford. You CAN make a GPX look alright! If you guys get any info on those carb kits can u let me know too?

Pizza delivery boy/girl

Sorry I fcuked that last pic up!

Weekend Warrior
    really like the look of that GPX mate, is it yours? anymore info on it or photos?

i'll be sure to keep you updated on the carb kits once i know anything, cheers

managed to get my acewell up and running but found out the fuel gauge is pooped so plan on using the trip meter as a guide for when i need to refuel,

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Mate if you can afford it get some braided lines and get rid of that Y piece, it will neaten up your front end.

Weekend Warrior
    thanks for the advice pappas, i had been pondering if anything could be done to remove all that ugly pipe work, i'll put it on the to do list but at the moment while cash is tight i'm concentrating on things i can do myself with little or no parts required,

any idea where i could get the lines and a rough price for them, cheers

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace

Guile see Stu at AuSFR they cost $64 each plus a pittance for postage

Pizza delivery boy/girl
    Yeah Guile it's mine. Just a strip bike at the moment but be on the road soon. As for photos there is one in the Drag Bike pics section. Think it was from Benaraby last year.

Weekend Warrior
    still making progress, decided to remove the pad bar on my handle bars, didn't realise you had to strip the bars fully to slide the mounting brackets off, what a shit design!

anyway stripped the handle bars and decided to tidy the front up a bit and make a plate to mount my acewell instead of zip ties! also wanted to move my indicators from the lower fork mounts to my headlight mounts, should have waited till this morning to refit my bars though as a little to much drunken excitement tightening a bark buster mount and i snapped a bracket, i'm well pissed off

got me thinking though and think i can use the top clamp of my handle bar risers which forces me to do the right thing and buy some new risers that don't require 14 million washers to tighten the bolts, still chasing tapered spacers though,

i used the rear of the old exhaust mount brackets to mount the head light and drilled holes for the indicators, i also used some mending plates from mitre 10 and a dirt bike front fender bracket for my acewell mount,

anyway enough waffle, time for some progress pics,

Weekend Warrior
    forgot to add i'm ordering braided brake lines for the front from ausfr so i can remove that big hunk of junk y splitter from the forks and also ordering some clear line thingo to remove my rear brake reservoir, I’ll post an update once fitted, should tidy things up a bit more

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Wow thats starting to look great mate. Well done!

Weekend Warrior
    thanks matt, just been looking at the very first photo i posted and i am pretty pleased with the results so far considering it a budget build and how old/fugly the GPX is in the first place

W195, what did you do about removing the radiator overflow bottle, i'd really like to be able to junk my $4 kiddies bike water bottle and holder i sourced from target,

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    thats coming along nicely mate ..

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries
    Wow that last photo is looking the dingo's dangly bits matey, or as we say back home 'The dogs bollocks'. I see you managed to get the monsters pipes on. How do they sound mate? How about some side shots. Keep up the good work mate.

Regards,

CBRRRT

Essex, England.

ASF Premium Full Member
    Blog Entries
    I had a little look see and came up with this link for you guys.

http://www.mandp.com/productInfo.aspx?catRef=548221

They are £29.00 and with $2.160 to the GB Pound it comes out at $62.64 each.

Other sites to take a look at include

www.demon-tweeks.co.uk

www.busters-accessories.co.uk

Good luck fellas

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast