Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Project 750 GPinXpensive

Weekend Warrior

Project 750 GPinXpensive

Thought i'd keep a journal of my bike butchering antics, it will be a slow and low budget project. Just hoping to learn a bit on they way and figure it will keep me out of the pub at the weekend, during the daylight hours anyway!

Its my first bike and i've just passed my Q-ride so new all round, start with some before pics for those interested and then some pics of parts already bought.

Now for some parts i've aquired off flea bay,

Mirrors $80

Ducati Monster Exhausts $50 (took a gamble weather i could get them to fit or not. Offered them up and they look pretty close but it will be the law of sod that ensures they will be a nats cock out and i will need to pay an exhaust fitter half the national debt to make them fit)

Top Clamp $65 (Ready to post to xBen once the founds allow)

Headlight $100

Finally an Acewell 3150 $85

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    got the bits so get out there and start hacking!! used one of those headlight units on my zx7r it worked alright and looked good but you will pass on night time hills riding!!

Weekend Warrior
    Yeah i thought those lights might be a useful as a poke in the eye, only really ride home from work at night though so should be good enough through town. Already started the easy part of removing all the plastics, i'll get some shots up now so i can look back though the stages. They are already taking the piss at work calling me mad max because of how dog shit and ratty it looks at the moment. Hopefully prove them all wrong when its done. I certainly know it wont be a show winner but if it looks half decent from a few hundered yards whilst squinting then i'll be happy.

Just sent a request to become a fully paid member of the club so i wont feel as cheap in future when i'm picking everyones brains for help.

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Where did you get the Acewell for $85?? I'll take two thanks!

Weekend Warrior
    £40 from evil bay back home mate, think thats about $85 ish here, getting a mate to post it me out. Could be worth keeping your eye out on the uk ebay to see if you can get a bargain. I'm sure shipping for one of these things wouldn't cost much. If i see anything i'll let you know.

quote:Originally posted by pappas

Where did you get the Acewell for $85?? I'll take two thanks!
    And another two this way

Weekend Warrior
    i have one of those headlight units (only with 3 lights where did you get the 4 light one?), emailed acerbis and they said themselves that it needed more light. Recommended changing the globes to 35W or even 50W, havent got round to doing mine yet and i will be checking the heat from the 50W globes when i do

Good luck with the build should turn out sweet

Weekend Warrior
    Cheers pal, let me know how you go with the uprated wattage. The guy i bought the light from said there as good a useless for decent night vision so not expecting too much from them to be honest. I'll update how good / bad they are once i've give em a try.

Mate, once u chuck off those f/ugly fairings and put on your new stuff and a new tail/subframe, all your friends will be scrathing thir head at how u got it to look so good.

I know as i have a 1985 GPZ600. Love the look of mine (modified) and updating it at the moment. It's in a million bits in the shed and at work......

quote:Originally posted by Guile

Cheers pal, let me know how you go with the uprated wattage. The guy i bought the light from said there as good a useless for decent night vision so not expecting too much from them to be honest. I'll update how good / bad they are once i've give em a try.
    I got some 35w bulbs from the local hardware for my old headlight. It did improve it, but they are still weak compared to proper type headlights. Look to get 16 degree spread bulbs to be most effective - these are more focussed (spot) than your regular kitchen downlights.

And NICE score on the Acewell!

Weekend Warrior
    been a long time so thought i'd post some progress, believe it or not there has actually been some!

i'll start with shots of more part sourced on the cheap then show them all actually fitted which is not like me as they normally get put under my bed to gather dust,

oh and that bloody acewell has been the bain of my existence but i'll get to that later as i'm after some advice,

Strange item below to take a shot of i know, it came attached to a sub frame and racing duck tail though so all good,

And this was a battery box for mk1 bike build, i'm now on mk 2 though

Weekend Warrior
    See photos of attempt mk1,

Weekend Warrior
    Drilled my top clamp on the casting marks 4 and 6 on the photo as this seamed the most logical place with the most meat on, only problem is the sloping side pieces and the amount of washes i had to use to get the threads to bite, someone please let me know if i'm going to kill my self riding with this arrangement, it does feel really solid now its all clamped up

Weekend Warrior
    I'm now sorting a mounting bracket for my acewell 3150 and trying to get the fecking thing working - nightmare, 3 issues after i realised i needed a voltage filter to stop my display looking like a strobe light at a rave, it should have contained an epilepsy warning.

Issues:

1. Speedo pick up
    2. Fuel guage
    3. Rev Counter

1. Delivered with the standard magnetic pick up and magnet nut and bolt, i couldn't see any logical way of fiting this so investigated on the net, found a bolt replicating my brake disc bolt and thought great, smart arse has sussed it, ordered it, fitted it, rotated the wheel to watch the bolt head smash hard against my fcuking caliper bracket, brilliant!

it was only a nats cock out so i foolishly decided to try grinding the top down which lost the magnetic face, i actually thought this would happen but was getting desperate,

i then found a pick up that connects to the original speedo drive, thought i was home free, it arrived with a different threaded coupling so i swapped it for my old one, hooked everything up still no joy! i'm getting really pissed of with it now, i may have read somewhere that my model 3150 doesn't support the hall switch pick type, anyone know if this is true?

in short if anyone has any ideas i would be more that greatful,its always the simple jobs that are a pain in the arse!

2. Fuel sender in my tank is reading between 1 and 100 ohms depending on fuel amount, acewell states that my model reads up to 100 ohms, great you may think, actually no, my current tank is reading 64 ohms, just over half full i guess, so why is my fabulous acewell fuel gauge reading full?!

3. i fcuking give up

I'm guessing you cant use shorter bolts as the nuts interfere with the head stem? Take the triple to a machine shop and get them to weld on a bit of flat for you - I wouldn't trust that with my ex girlfriend.

I had a set of triples clean up and welded - more work then you need - for about $150 and I reckon I paid too much.

Fuck me that's a lot of washers.[:0]
    I'm with Pete, get it welded up proper like & you'll be sweet.

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks for the replies lads, the gf coment gave me a well needed laugh,

I agree with you but must be feeling brave as i'm currently riding around with it like that, the threaed bar is a solid part of the bottom bar clamp which is the reason for all the stainless washers, only the last part of the bar is threaded too. Though about buying new bar clamps with shorter bar and fully threaded, would i still need it welding then?

Shouldn't the washers act like one solid piece of metal, also used a spring washer last and tightened the bejesus out of it for what good it will do me, must say it hasn't budged a nats since fitting a 100k's ago,

Anyone know where i can get the suggested work done near brissy?

Thanks again

You should be able to pull out the existing handlebar clamp bolts and replace them with shorter ones (make sure they're stainless).

Weekend Warrior
    not possible with these bar clamps mate, i know what you mean but the bottom clamp is all one piece for some reason, its off a honda motorcross bike, think they had rubber bushes on the none threaded part when fitted before

Aussie Streetfighter Hooligan
    You could make a spacer to fit in the bottom of the clamp so to make a flat surface ..... Get some lock nuts onto it pronto

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast