Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lazy Sunday Afternoon (Build Pics)

ASF Depleted Uranium Member Large's Avatar
    Thanks to Ben, I've got 255mm of genuine Suzuki muffler

Should be interesting to see how loud it is as half of it is straight through.

I've even got one of those "can stickers" to make it legal.

We've left the rear end a bit longer untill I try running it. If it's all ok (read loud enough) we might be able tho roll the edges over for a "stocker" look

Bloke with a smaller stick
    Hehehe look at those cute little sausage toes.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

quote:Originally posted by JackTar

Nice one Large, you have now got me thinking about making up my own tail piece to use as a base for some fibreglass, no idea about fibreglassing but I am sure I can work it out
    Give it a go Jack, but if you're using foam for a buck, try and get the blue foam - it's used for insulation- as the white foam "balls" up when you sand it.

quote: I have no idea why but it reminds me of Dr.Teeth in it's current colours:
    I've got a fair idea...

quote: Hehehe look at those cute little sausage toes.
    Many years ago, I was fascinated by Thalidomide victims....and those toes used to be able to play The Entertainer on the family piano...Never learnt to swim with my ears tho[V][:0]

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    so how does this fibreglassing thing work? do you lay the glass cloth stuff over the foam and cover it in the liquidy stuff and the foam becomes part of the piece or do you then take it off the foam?

I am no expert on these things pete I would imagine Ben could enlighten us however. I would assume that you would use the matting and the resin and make several layers over the foam then remove the foam once set unless you were going to do more than one in which case I suspect you would use the original foam to make some sort of mould.

quote:Originally posted by pt

so how does this fibreglassing thing work? do you lay the glass cloth stuff over the foam and cover it in the liquidy stuff and the foam becomes part of the piece or do you then take it off the foam?
    The simple way is to cut and sand the foam to shape, lay the glass and resin over, then fill/sand/fill/sand/fill etc untill smooth enough to paint. Then you use acetone to eat the foam away from inside the glass....and make Molotovs from the acetone/foam slurry

quote: I am no expert on these things pete I would imagine Ben could enlighten us however. I would assume that you would use the matting and the resin and make several layers over the foam then remove the foam once set unless you were going to do more than one in which case I suspect you would use the original foam to make some sort of mould.

...or if you want more than one you could make a male mold of the part you want from foam and filler, which you use to make a female mold...which you then use to turn out the finished pieces

ASF Premium Full Member fimpBIKES's Avatar
    foam method would be fine for this kind of one-off thing
    i mean, do u even know where to get more of those lights?

not like your making hundreds of them
    Rev the fucker!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I made a custom tail once (never again) but as Ben will probably tell you, the best way to do it is cover the foam to with fibreglass to create a mould. The actual foam is covered in releasing agent so it doesn't bond prior to this. Once you have that done (into two halves I might add with a flange to bolt them together) you coat the inside of the mould with releasing agent to add the final resin gel coat to produce the actual piece (there may be a slight ridge where the two pieces join together if you're not Ben and it's your first go, but you just sand that back). If you use a piece from the first coat instead of creating a mould you have a fucked up ugly outer finish which would never look right and symetrical and on top of that is would be bigger than the orignal shape and fit like shit (the final trick finish looking piece is all down to a decent gel coat). All the fibreglassing/mould makers will put me right now, but with my bottle of wine on board and memory like a geriatric home alzheimers victim, that's the best way i can put it just now....... and any way, once you have the mould large (when you do it properly) you'll be pumping out your custom fairings for everyone! "Large's Dr.teeth mask". Has a ring to it mate.....

Took it for a ride today. The pipe is loud and raspy[8D] Feels really different to ride too.

Blog Entries
    Looks shit loads better as well mate. Nice!

ASF Premium Full Member fimpBIKES's Avatar
    just put a number board on it and fang around like a madman

Rev the fucker!!!!!

performance big fella??? whats changed?
    can looks good on the bike mate.

I didn't go far without the lights/instruments, but the main change is now that I'm not leaning so far forward...

The front end gets really light when you give it a tickle

I took a sickie today to get a few things done. Three layers of 200g glass and some finishing epoxy resin resulted in this

I taped up the buck first so it was no problem to release the cowl from the buck. I seems a bit flexible so I might make another one with 4 layer of glass and poly resin

Still needs a lot of trimming, filling and sanding...but plenty of room to hide my instruments under here.

Large, stick it in front of a heat lamp for a few Hrs & she'll stiffen up nicely. Actually that sounded a bit wrong didn't it.

Yes it did

Mine tends to not stiffen up at all when it gets too hot.

quote:Originally posted by JackTar

Mine tends to not stiffen up at all when it gets too hot.
    Bit of a confidence issue going on mate!

Well there there, I'm sure that it's gonna be alright once you find the right woman. (As if such a fucken thing exists)

Looks great large, have you made a start on the bottom piece yet?

"It's the eighties and I'm down with the ladies"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast