Thread: Oil starvation, wheelies on SV1000

ASF Gold Full Member

Oil starvation, wheelies on SV1000

Alright, I've had a horn for another Vtwin for a while now and after comparing a few different ones, I've set my sights on an SV1000. As I have a habit of doing the odd whooly or two, I thought I'd better make sure they are fit for purpose. So I started trawling (no, not trolling) through SV riders type forums looking for info regarding any oil starvation issues associated with wheelies. I found a lot of people can't/don't do wheelies. A lot of people consider wheelies stupid and the people who do them are idiots and bound for jail. But I can't find any reliable info on wether or not wheelies will kill an SV1000 (apparently the 650s were known for it).
    So, would anyone around here have any trusted info that they could share?

If not I might just have to buy one and see what happens.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd start thinking about you

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    Blog Entries
    You know the answer..... send it

Weekend Warrior
    I have 2 TL1000's mate.
    The front cylinder Can starve itself of oil doing extended wheelies.
    The SV motor is the derivative of the TL motor, so I suspect they may be similar.
    It has to do with a shit oil 'pick up' system but can be modified to improve oil flow when on the back wheel.
    Do a search on www.tlplanet.com or tlzone.com - there s plenty of info on the mod process.
    Hope that helps ya.

ASF Gold Full Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaza View Post
    I have 2 TL1000's mate.
    The front cylinder Can starve itself of oil doing extended wheelies.
    The SV motor is the derivative of the TL motor, so I suspect they may be similar.
    It has to do with a shit oil 'pick up' system but can be modified to improve oil flow when on the back wheel.
    Do a search on www.tlplanet.com or tlzone.com - there s plenty of info on the mod process.
    Hope that helps ya.
    Sweet, that's just what I needed!
    Thanks Beaza I'll check it out.
    If I had a dollar for every time I thought about you, I'd start thinking about you