Thread: 16in or 17in wheel

16in or 17in wheel

hello I have 94 cbr900. I have 2010 gsxr1000 front end. Does it make much of difference running a 17in rim compared to a 16in rim. Just with handling, tyre size ect. just doing the conversion. Can you use the 16in rim just with spacers. Or even after market 17in rim......

Bloke with a smaller stick rod185651's Avatar
    I would get a 17-inch rim.

I would go the 17 conversion. though you could have just used a VFR wheel from what I have been told.
    You have much larger tyre choice, better tyre profile as well.
    Monster GSXR 7/11 RIP!
    Raven R1 Demon.
    K7 750 German Style (under construction)

Blog Entries
    Yep, number one reason not to get 16" is getting tyres. Secondly, the 16" front wheel was the main reason so many journo's died while testing the Fireblade back in the 90's - major over-steer potential. Stick with the 17" mate.

I do like the handling on the 16in cbr900. I didn't know journalist died riding the bike not to be mean but that's kind of funny. I road a ducati streetfighter with the 17in wheel and found it kind of stiff and ridged compared to the cbr900 and handling was better on the blade easier to turn. I will have to think about it. thank you.

Blog Entries
    That sounds more like a suspension issue that the wheel size. Get the suspension set up correctly for your weight and riding style and you'll be very happy with a 17" front.

Bloke with a smaller stick Weaselman's Avatar
    I've got a 97 blade. When set up correctly the 16 is fine but slow turning. Those with me at NFR saw how bad I struggled with a problem that turned out simply to be wrong pressure in the front. At wakefield I found compared to a 17 you really need to be rough with the bike to make it turn. I personally am keeping the 6 front because my bike is a clean original example. But if I turned it into a fighter then 17 all the way. I much prefer the sharper turn in and I personally enjoy a twitchy set up in my front end. Hope my experience with it helps. For reference I'm using a totally rebuilt front end with stock settings aside from a 2cm drop through the yokes and I weigh 100kg's
    Last edited by Weaselman; 25-01-2018 at 02:57 PM.

ASF Premium Full Member
    I’ve found you can pretty much change anything to anything it’s just tuning and personal preference.

I replaced all my rims on Harris from 18” to 17’s and on first ride hated it until I pumped the tyres up lol!

Just be sensible with changes and tyre profiles and pressures.