Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to build a deathtrap in only nine weeks..

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    The best thing about being a bit mental is that people aren't all that surprised when you do things that borderline lunacy, they just smile and slowly back out of the shed trying not to make eye contact and that's a win for everyone. So i used the shitty red kymco tank to make what we shall refer to as my dot in space or spacedot for short.
    Spacedot marks the point at which the invisible seat and tank meet, that point where under heavy braking your pillion squashes your balls into a thin paste against the tank. That is Spacedot.
    I mustve stared at spacedot for quite a while and consumed most of the eastern suburbs beer because at this point i decided to do something very stupid.
    Subframes? Pffft, fuck physics and newtonian laws, that shit is for sane people. I had a better idea. What if i made the tank the subframe by welding a hardback through the middle of the tank and up under the seat?
    I looked around the shed at various bits of stray alloy and found a length of 6mm walled tube with a bend in it. I put it in the vice and hung my 125kgs of piss and gristle off it and it didn't send me hurtling toward the earth, i bounced, it didn't bend. Fuck yeah this is gonna be cool.

This probably not how you spacedot but its how i spacedot

At some point during this Process my old man shows up again, this time he's here to stay, only this somehow becomes my problem. Ive seen enough gary busey movies to know when someones brain is 90% motorcycle accident and of a scale of 1 to busey hes was looking about a 12. Day 1 he collapses and ends up in hospital and my build comes to a grinding halt. The words diminished capacity and cognitive impairment get tossed around a lot and it soon becomes apparent that ive won the parental alzheimers prize two for two, winner winner chicken hey who the fuck are you? I already care full time for my mum and don't really need this. Where to put him? His wife sent him out with the clothes he had on, which at this stage smell like piss and bad decisions and he has nowhere to stay, no pension and no money. I lose an entire week of fabrication to finding him accommodation, getting an acat assessment done and if it wasn't for an old mate of mine who i grew up with taking him in I never would have got this build finished. So thanks Ainsley, you are a fucking champion.

I should have actually called this thread 9 weeks in hell.

You will notice in the first bike pic that a large block of aluminium has appeared at the top of the tank, this is a very important piece of ally, it holds the whole fucking thing together. It has been welded fully around and drilled and tapped on the underside so two 16mm bolts can pass through a rectangle tube section with crush tubes on the frame pulling the tank down at the front. It is also the point at which the backbone for the seat is attached.

Side note, if you are having a bad day or week even, this will not fix it, but it will keep you warm and it tastes like jesus in a bottle.

When I built this I tried to use stuff i already had laying around, like the fuel filler housing, that came from a piece of aluminium tube that was once a compressed air ram of some description but had spend the past few months laying on my back lawn where the dogs had been enthusiastically pissing and shitting on it. With a bit of a cleanup it was still a complete bastard to weld (no idea what grade it was) but it saved me rolling a circle out of flat plate.

Do some nice welds, hide them in a tank for eternity

This probably not how you petrol tank but its how I petrol tank. All i did here was cut out and roll the various filler pieces and tack them all in place. Tacking aluminium is a bastard job on a bench, tacking it on a tank like this is borderline self harm. You cant hold the fucker while you tack it, you cant use magnets, you can use tape, which catches on fire and leaves a residue that is counter productive to aluminium welding which needs to be very clean. If you hate yourself, give it a try some time.
    Oh it needs to be said that rossi welders are cheap as hell and whilst ive only used one once to weld i bought one to use as a plasma cutter and it is fucking awesome. If you want a cheap plasma cutter they are the mutts nuts.

Bloke with a smaller stick rod185651's Avatar
    I am in awe of your skills

Blog Entries
    No need for me to comment again, I reckon you already know what I think.

Bloke with a smaller stick rod185651's Avatar
    This is a true "streetfighter build" makes me almost embarrassed to post my progress pics

Feeling that sentiment Rod!

Quote Originally Posted by JimZXR View Post
    Feeling that sentiment Rod!
    I'll 3rd that statement, bloody hell I feel like a muppet after looking at this build.
    Monster GSXR 7/11 RIP!
    Raven R1 Demon.
    K7 750 German Style (under construction)

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the positive comments. i don't see my skills as anything all that special, i'm always trying to do better like i think we all are. Ive learned a fuckload of stuff from reading all your threads on here over the years and im sure ill learn more. Ive been building mostly stuff for other peoples bikes for a long time now and when this build off came up i just wanted to build something complete in a short time and use all the cool shit i've learned over the years. It was fun and putting up the build thread for you guys is just as rewarding, i only wish id taken more pics as i went but i was in such a rush it sorta fell to the wayside. Ill put some more up in the morning.

Azrael, You are doing a top job by sharing this with us, the work is bloody awesome and enjoy watching it go through the process.
    Monster GSXR 7/11 RIP!
    Raven R1 Demon.

The next step in this lunacy was to get the tank off and fully weld it and then start working on the seat.
    Se seat is a relatively simple idea whereby i fold the top part in a manner that it drops off on and angle sufficient enough for rider comfort with it tapering toward the leg cutouts in the tank and at the same time covering the distance or thickness of the tube which remains in the center.
    It's basically two parts and I didn't get any pics while building it because um beer but yeah if you look closely you'll see all i did was roll the bottom piece to meet the edges of the top piece and then fill in the gaps at the front and rear after i slid it over the tube.

If competitive liver trauma was a recognized sport, I think at this point i would own nothing but trophies. I drank so much beer doing this tank/seat I'm surprised it looks like a bike at all, i mean i get easily distracted when I'm sober let alone 26 stubbies into a 24 box of liquid enthusiasm.
    When i did the tail piece i made it slightly larger than i needed because its easier to roll through an english wheel without crushing your fingers and when you tack the fucker together you can trim it back to symmetry and make it look like you know what you are doing even after 4000 beers. Professionals would cut all their pieces to size and do this a lot better than me but fuck them, we are shed builders and don't have that kind of skill or patience, well with the possible exception of Lynton but hes so good hes a freak.

Last edited by Azrael; 02-11-2017 at 03:50 AM.

If you looked at the last pictures closely you would have noticed i had started making pipes, well sorta. The pipes are a combination of the original pipes (headers end) and two identical pipes which a good mate of mine procured from his work rather cheaply for me, Mark, you are a legend. They are off an rs250 and after exhaustive research (pun intended) about expansion pipe fabrication i cut the fuckers up and made some of my own.
    I did nearly catch on fire on two occasions while doing this. As it turns out all that black oily shit is pretty fucken flammable and nothing proves that quicker than a plasma cutter.

Last edited by Azrael; 02-11-2017 at 04:33 AM.

This is dead set the sunday before the the thursday deadline for the competition. At this point i have four and a half days left to finish this build and I smell like 7 shades of arse, im still drunk from the wedding i attended the night before and that coffee right there caused my stomach to make a noise that scared local wildlife away and unleashed a shit that would make the captain of a prawn trawler wince.
    The only thing i was capable of doing this day was getting the bike off the bench or the first time so i could get a feel for it at ground level and cleaning up in the shed so i could get a decent start the following morning.

Dude you look wrecked! But yet you still can active something like this!
    Monster GSXR 7/11 RIP!
    Raven R1 Demon.

Blog Entries
    Brilliant. There, that's it. No more crappy one-line comments from me until the whole topic is finished as it's ruining the thread, but trust me, I am reading this along with a lot of other people mate and this is, as stated at the start, brilliant!

Blog Entries
    Without doubt the best build thread in memory......
    Btw don't blow wind to far up my arse, your well ahead of me
    in panel forming. I haven't ever even used a English wheel as yet,
    never lone create something like those panels

Weekend Warrior
    Not only an amazing build but funny as fuck too

Doing shit the same as everyone else is not something i do well especially when the same is an old bike with the tabs cut off, painted to look like Marlon Brando's dildo, ridden by a legitimately unskilled cunt in a suit once a year for causes they need not worry about because there's not a drop of testosterone amongst them, in fact the moment you put a scarf and a leather handbag over your shoulders your prostate wishes it was dead anyway. And mental health? I don't have any mental health and im pretty fucken sure if i did i would trade it for beer or motorcycle parts.
    This is a shame because I actually really like cafe racers or at least I did until mens fashion turned them into an accessory to attract other like minded men to talk about their facial hair or choice of barber over frothy caffeinated beverages. So with that in mind I did the opposite and this is what the opposite looks like when you sober up and tig fuck out of some sheetmetal.
    Oh also, when i started this i was clean shaved, but I grew a beard in just nine weeks so i could see if it somehow turned me into a boring herd mentality simpleton but all it really did was itch a little and prevent me from getting a cream donut into my face without looking like a remedial.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast