Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to build a deathtrap in only nine weeks..

ASF Premium Full Member
    Love your work Tom!

Not sure how you pulled it off with family and shit to do!

Respect!

Tyre destroying, mad bastard menace
    So i used the first block back at work to sit and draw all the parts that i knew id need for the entire build, made list and the order in which to get em all done so i could get the bike jigged and ready to tube out. I dont know how you are meant to build a bike but i start with the basic geometry. The position and angle of the head stem and its relation to the the output shaft of the motor and the pivot point of the swing arm. I then make all those parts and jig them in place where they will be on the completed bike. Its probably not perfect but it works.

So after the head stem i made the swing arm pivot point and the frame points where it will attach to the bike

Quote Originally Posted by Hagarr View Post
    Love your work Tom!

Not sure how you pulled it off with family and shit to do!

Respect!
    Thanks Danny, it wasn't easy, especially the family thing, but ill get to that in a few posts.

Its worth mentioning here that i'm not a machinist by a long shot, I'm not actually anything, just another unskilled idiot with a penchant for hitting stuff with hammers so if my work looks a little rough, that's because it is. I aspire to the finishing skills that some of my mates and fellow builders have and i never stop watching how true professionals carry out their trade so maybe one day i build something to their standard.

So my next move was to jig that shit up. The working geometry of the bike was stolen from the aprilia rs250 so i set the head stem at ride height so i could build the whole frame at the level it would stand on the ground. Im a very visual person, i don't work from drawings so much, just how it it will look in motion. I need to be able to walk around it and know it looks like the thing in my head as build it that way there's no surprises when i roll it off the bench.

So i set the engine on a stand supported by the exhaust port bolts and an adjustable support under the engine itself the key thing being never put anything where a frame tube might go.

The aprilia swinger sat in position to get the fall to the axle distance from the pivot point.

Swing arm just sitting not jigged in place

shit be gettin messy

I put the top tubes in first with the swingarm pivot point welded to the bench.
    It was about about this time when My dad showed up from the philippines (where hes resided for 19years) and decided he and his wife were moving back to aus. then he changed his mind and flew to NZ, he wasn't well, he gave me his bush knife before he left, I figured this was the last time i was going to see him.

I had this plan to make the swingarm tubes chromo but the axle points and adjusters out of ally and i roughly sketched out this idea and started to mill them up. I really don't know what i'm doing on a mill but this was so much fun sprayin fucken swarf everywhere and drinking beer and trying to keep all of my fingers i would do this shit again in a second. I kinda stole this idea of Steve Burns because well its fucken Steve Burns and he is building a very cool bike and while hes not doing this to his swingarm he is doing it on another part of the frame and i was so impressed with the idea i fully stole it. Sorry Steve.

Step one, buy chunk of ally

Step two, rape ally with mill

Rape ally on both sides, rape equally

Make big fucking mess

Drink to this victory against non ferrous metal

Make bolt on plates

Bolt them on

Win and drink some more beer

Blog Entries
    Oooh baby - This is one hell of a build thread! You champion Tom. Cheers mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gix11 View Post
    Oooh baby - This is one hell of a build thread! You champion Tom. Cheers mate.
    Ill get some more up shortly then ill have to spend some time uploading pics to imgur before i can do some more. It takes me ages because i dont computer much anymore..

The frame itself went together in just a couple of days and while i was tubing out the frame i was setting up the jig for the swingarm so i could build that also in situe the idea being to weld as much of it on the jig as possible then tear it all down to fully weld it on the bench.

ASF Premium Full Member
    What a champion Beer assistant!

Hey Tan!

Next came the swing arm, nothing too complicated here, just a matter of jigging up the axle plates where they sit and using a very cleverly constructed mathematical triangle (i bent up some tig wire) with the precise angles of the pivot point and the the two shock mount points or the kawasaki er6. I chose the er6 shock and geometry because i meant i didnt need to build linkages and the rest of the associated nonsense involved in regular suspension because i wouldn't have had the time. Also for a lightweight bike with a short wheelbase the geometry works quite well.

Blog Entries
    So much awesome.

Blog Entries
    Great thread tom

Power Hungry, Law Disregarder
    Are you still beding tube with the oxy and formers on the bench?

Quote Originally Posted by GammaBoy View Post
    Are you still beding tube with the oxy and formers on the bench?
    Its the only way i know how.. I did some of these on a mandrel though at this guys workshop, he does tube bending mostly for fancy hand railing and truck roo bars and doesnt have all the imperial dies yet. I can only get chromo in imperial sizes but he said for future jobs he will make dies to suit my tube sizes so im taking him some off cuts so he can get started. Really helpful guy.

I finished out the swingarm and welded as much as i could of the frame and swinger while it was jigged on the bench then pulled it down and fully welded it.

This is an awesome build thread! Id be so happy to have 1/2 the skill you got doing this mate. Just awesome!
    Monster GSXR 7/11 RIP!
    Raven R1 Demon.
    K7 750 German Style (under construction)

Quote Originally Posted by LKC73 View Post
    This is an awesome build thread! Id be so happy to have 1/2 the skill you got doing this mate. Just awesome!
    Thanks mate!

The next step was to get wheels on it and make it a roller so i could start thinking about the tank and subby so i chucked em on and had a good long stare at it.
    Staring at stuff is good for couple of reasons, It doesn't require much energy to stare at stuff and its the only time during a build where your beer wont go warm.
    I was prepared right from the start of this build to have to turn up custom axles and then something strange happened, i had a win. As the bike gods would have it, the front axle from the wp forks off the aprilia fit the rear axle of the motard rims (kx450) and by fucken ways of powers unknown the back axle fit the front wheel. This absurdity lead me to knocking a bearing out of each wheel, lightly machining the spacers and swapping them around front for back for what was the quickest axle swap in the history of my 6x6 shed. I was so happy i drank some beer.

Having an abundance of crap laying around comes in handy when you are building something custom, I am a serial hoarder of a disturbing level and this has come in handy when ive needed parts on builds and when i need another dent in my shin. For whatever reason i was drinking beer and staring at the bike trying to imagine the tank in my head, where i was going to put the sub frame and so on when my eyes fixed on an old tank off some horrible cheap chinese bike, a kymco. I picked it up and put it on the bike, it fit, it fit like it was meant to be there, this unplanned event was really quite cool because it meant that somehow through the several thousand beers i had consumed i had made a geometrically correct bike.
    It was from here i could get the exact location of the seat and the point at which the seat and tank met so i could begin planning the tank in my head.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast